UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Conditioning Question

4/12/02 8:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bullit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Apr-02

Hi Tony. I was wondering what your training regimen was back in the day you first started selling your videos. I am wanting to get a better physical appearance but I don't want to sacrifice my martial arts training time for full-time weightlifting. What kind of weight program would you recommend? Thanks JC
4/17/02 3:10 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 17-Apr-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Hi JC...in reality, I never used weights as part of a routine...I dabbled in them, but my real training was jsut the actual training and is to this day. That is not to say that 'weights' arent great to supplement with but youre right in maintaining your focus on your skill. As to the type of prgram to recommend, I havent a clue...there are so many choices and ulitmately they are going to have to be perosonalized based on you and your body-type and modified again based on your objectives. I think over-all, any training that adds strength and endurance to your skills will benefit in total conditioning and injury prevention. *I will email the PDR team and see if there are some good books or thoghts on this. TOny
4/17/02 9:08 AM
Sean Mulligan

Edited: 17-Apr-02
JC, I have to agree with Mr. Blauer...without knowing what you are looking to do, it is difficult to offer any sound advice. What you have to do is set an objective based on your goals...is it for weight reduction, increase in overall or specific strength, or muscular endurance? You then have to establish a time-line based on your personal needs...are you training for a specific event? But all of the above has to compliment your skillset...are you a striker, grappler, overall conditioning for self-protection? These are just some of the factors that you have to evaluate before you jump into a serious routine. Keep in mind that a lot of people just run or weight train for recreation with no definative goals in sight. Mr. T. Campbell is actually the resident expert on this topic and if we're lucky, perhaps he'll show his face and share some insight. During the present time though there are a lot of resources available throughout the internet that you may want to browse through. I hear Muscle Media has a not bad site. Good Luck and Train Hard Sean
4/18/02 12:45 AM
AdamLaClair

Edited: 18-Apr-02 12:58 AM
ImposeYourWill.com
JC, Mr. Blauer and Sean have both shared some valuable insights, but I will add my two cents worth. Like Tom Cambell, I also train some competitive athletes, and have started gaining a reputation for my guys having impressive strength and endurance within their skillsets (and personal satisfaction within their goals). As mentioned, you need to refine and define your GOAL first and foremost. A "better physical appearance" is too generic. Do you mean you want to lower the amount of bodyfat you carry? Or are you looking to bulk up and increase size? Or both? Training will have to be modified differently if you are also seeking performance enhancement, which you did not specifically mention. Are you looking to be faster? Stronger? More endurance? Or simply to "look better" (and again, look better how?) AFTER defining your SPECIFIC goals, then we can begin to REFINE the process, based on your personal body type, eating habits, nutritional requirements, time you wish to allot to training, existing injuries, etc. Also, depending on your goal, you may not need to lift weights at all. Their are some incredible exercises that use the weight of your body alone that may achieve your goals. One thing is certain though, is that your SKILLS should still remain as a high priority in your training time as you did show that to be a priority. Increasing strength and endurance will "enhance" your overall ability if the appropriate training is applied, but only training your "skills" will improve those skills. "Looking better" or getting bigger/stronger/faster, etc, can add to, but cannot replace actual skills. Also, "full time" weightlifting is not necessary. Only those doing large quantities of steroids and other such illegal drugs can actually sustain more than a few high-intensity strength training workouts of any duration in a week's time. Generally, you should keep your conditioning workouts under an hour, unless you specifically need more (like training for a marathon). I'll use myself, for a brief example. Quite a few years ago, I wanted to "get big." After 4 years of trial and error research with little success, I came up with some research and formulated some theories that have since led to great success. I personally put on over 45 pounds of muscle in just over 2 years, using no "supplements" other than a daily multi-vitamin. My average workout lasted under 25 minutes, including warmup, and I only lifted weights twice a week. Now this would work for some, but would have to be modified for others, based on body type, nutrition, etc. Everyone is a bit different. Routines need to be adjusted fairly regularly, too, as your body changes and adapts, and even as your goals may change over time. JC, Post a more "specific" goal or goals, and perhaps myself or Tom or someone else here can steer you in a good direction to get started...... One last thing to keep in mind: Don't be afraid to do some research through other sources, as Sean mentioned, but DO be careful of some of their motives: Some companies information is really a cleverly disguised advertisement to buy their supplements, while others are into strength training just for the sake of strength, or endurance training just for the sake of endurance. In MY experience (others may agree or disagree), most NON-martial artists (boxing and wrestling ARE included as martial arts in my book) have NO CLUE of how to train the body for performance enhancement within a tactical/combative skillset. Someone like Tom Campbell or myself are much more likely to be able to help you in that regard. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions, as well, especially if they are unrelated to the tactical training goals of this particular forum. Adam LaClair, Personal Defense Readiness Coach, MMA Coach
4/22/02 12:15 PM
bullit

Edited: 22-Apr-02
Thank you for all of the replies, and I apologize for not responding sooner. As far as "better appearance" I am referring to trimming body fat and adding a bit of muscle. I now am 5'10" and 186lbs. My body fat was around 20% last I checked. I would like to get it down to 12% or so, and I would like to keep my weight around a lean 178lbs. Thanks again. JC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.