UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Muscle Knots

9/7/11 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AlabamaSmooth
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Have deep and very painful knots on my back around my shoulder blade. Any recommendations on how to reduce the pain temporaritly and prevent them from flaring up in the future? They seem to flare up every few months or so after intense BJJ training. I can barely walk or drive when they are at thier worst.

9/8/11 1:30 PM
MattB ATC
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/08/11 1:31 PM
It may be a subluxed rib or irritation to the costovetebral joint that is causing the muscle spasm. You can try using a foam roller for SMFR techniques and to try self mobs, but you may benefit from a visit to a good manual therapist.
9/9/11 2:38 AM
AlabamaSmooth
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the advice! Researching the symptoms you mentioned really helped me diagnose what needs to be done.
10/11/11 2:17 AM
submissionkiller092909
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try pickle juice the vinegar in it relaxes muscles my trainer gave it to our team before each game to prevent muscle problems
10/12/11 2:40 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a history of issues in the same spot. Turned out I was becoming upper-trap dominant and my lower traps were getting weak because of it. It caused mild scapular winging and put a lot of stress on my shoulder as the scapula was no longer moving correctly.

I second the foam roller and I would also suggest some work with a lacross ball or two.

Check out http://www.mobilitywod.com/ for some great mob stuff.
11/12/11 2:30 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I third Foam roller and find a chiropractor or Eastern medicine spot that does cupping. Virtually my entire jiu jitsu team does that treatment with amazing resulsts!
12/24/11 12:43 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've found a theracane is way better than a foam roller for upper body stuff.
12/24/11 11:28 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theracane is a great tool but you can simply use a handball, lay on it and rock on the knots. similar to a foam roller haha
12/24/11 6:26 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ If you're gonna do that get a pressure less tennis ball and then do it standing up against a wall.
12/25/11 10:25 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

cluster - ^ If you're gonna do that get a pressure less tennis ball and then do it standing up against a wall.

I have, but I still like laying on it and rocking back and forth. definitely feel it in the superficial and deep fascia.

I do like the tennis ball and against the wall work (both ball and foam roller) for the cervical region.

to clarify, I get DEEP knots and product build up
12/25/11 12:39 PM
cluster

theracane is far superior to tennis ball and especially foam roller.

Distant second to the lubed up fingers of someone who knows what they're doing though....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.