UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> how to get an overhook?

9/9/11 10:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kingabiu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are there any particular steps or strategies to take in order to get a nice deep overhook ... or do I just have to be patient and wait for my opponent to decide he wants an underhook?

I've never done formal wrestling, but have been doing Judo for 10 years. right handed. I have done a fair bit of no-gi ground grappling, and a small amount of no-gi standup grappling, which is what I'm interested in.

I absolutely nailed what we'd call yoko-wakare in Judo. What is it properly called in wrestling? Here is a vid of Shonie Carter teaching it for no-gi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sfwqbtjf0

My problem is the first step, getting a nice neep overhook. I found myself engaged in an awful lot of 'feeling out', 'handfighting' (?), shucking off neck/head grips, etc. Until finally I got lucky, and found myself with a good overhook. Surely there must be a better way?

thanks!
9/9/11 12:15 PM
ChipW
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can get the overhook/whizzer as a counter to a shot, usually a single leg attempt.  

Ive seen that throw called a "Jap Whizzer" in wrestling, im sure it has other names. 
9/10/11 11:04 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you really want an underhook, sometimes a good way is to really fight hard to get an underhook of your own and play off the countering.   
9/10/11 2:28 PM
coolio82394
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I already posted on this in the no gi forum, but honestly, you might as well be asking people "How do I get someone to mount me?"
10/3/11 2:56 PM
phdinmma

coolio82394 - I already posted on this in the no gi forum, but honestly, you might as well be asking people "How do I get someone to mount me?"
. Phone Post
10/3/11 10:03 PM
nowaydo
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whizzer is an excellent offensive tool.
10/9/11 5:06 PM
SFC_Fighter

wrestle with your elbows completely away from your ribs and then someone will underhook you and you can overhook them

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.