UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> standing -- how to get an overhook?

9/9/11 10:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kingabiu
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are there any particular steps or strategies to take in order to get a nice deep overhook ... or do I just have to be patient and wait for my opponent to decide he wants an underhook?

I've never done formal wrestling, but have been doing Judo for 10 years. right handed. I have done a fair bit of no-gi ground grappling, and a small amount of no-gi standup grappling, which is what I'm interested in. I absolutely nailed what we'd call yoko-wakare in Judo. What is it properly called in wrestling? Here is a vid of Shonie Carter teaching it for no-gi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sfwqbtjf0

My problem is the first step, getting a nice neep overhook. I found myself engaged in an awful lot of 'feeling out', 'handfighting' (?), shucking off neck/head grips, etc. Until finally I got lucky, and found myself with a good overhook. Surely there must be a better way?

thanks!
9/9/11 8:04 PM
coolio82394
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I guess you could use a collar tie, get control of one of his biceps, and wrap that arm up. As for yoko-wakare, it looks closest to a lateral drop from over-under. I will caution you that such techniques are very, very risky. There's a very good reason why most people prefer to have underhook control. If you have an overhook, how are you going to protect your leg on that side?

To each his own, though.
9/9/11 8:29 PM
Tap21

The vast majority of guys I run into are pummeling pretty hard for underhooks. They would be very happy to give you an overhook.
9/9/11 8:34 PM
5th Dan Aikido Man

LOL ......i smell troll.

ask this question in the wrestling forum, see if you get a straight answer.
9/15/11 10:29 PM
phdinmma

Work for underhooks, your opponent will instinctually pummel, there you go. Overhooks! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.