UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bruce Dickinson - The Tower (Cover)

9/10/11 5:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/10/11 5:03 PM

I've been meaning to take a crack at this song for quite some time, so this morning I gave it a try. The harmony bits after the solo feature some shitty playing but hell, what can you do? Oh yeah, practice! Haha

Recorded and whatnot in the free program Audacity. I used the following:

Dean VMNT Endgame
Ibanez RG350

Peavey ValveKing 112

Ibanez TS-9 (on the solo and harmonies)

The bass guitar track was made with Guitar Pro 6 and the drums are a combination of GP5 and 6.

Sing along if you know the song! :]
10/2/11 10:33 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No replies on my first vid but instead of making a new thread I figured I'd throw this in here instead.

Another song that I've been meaning to tackle for quite awhile. I think it came out alright.
10/3/11 10:18 AM
Ali
777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know the originals.... so what are these? ALL just you multitracking parts?

Don't know the meaning of: "The bass guitar track was made with Guitar Pro 6 and the drums are a combination of GP5 and 6." Does that mean the guitar was used to create the drum parts, too?

Both sound really good, near as I can tell without knowing the originals.
10/3/11 10:41 AM
Ryan Wood

Guitar Pro is a program where you can program guitars, drums, and bass. You basically write it on the program's sheet music type interface, then the computer can play it using the "Real Sound Engine".

I either find a pre-existing GP file on the net or arrange one of my own in order to make up the bass and drums backing track. Over all, though, I find that Guitar Pro has been a pretty great tool for learning how to play. Being able to make backing tracks with it is just a bonus.

I then multitrack guitars over top of the backing track.

The two covers above are based on the live versions from an album called Scream For Me Brazil, so panned left is the guitar part played by Roy Z, and panned right is the guitar part played by Adrian Smith.

It is possible to layer many guitar parts with Audacity, but that wasn't in the spirit of these two particular covers. I hope that cleared it all up, if you have any other questions please fire away.

Also, this is all done on a relatively shitty home PC with a $60 USB mic.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.