UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> QB 4th quarter comebacks = useless stat

9/13/11 8:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When discussing QB's on the OG, an oft cited stat is the 4th quarter comeback (4QC). This stat, coupled with another stat Game Winning Drive (GWD), is always attributed in the stat book to the quarterback.  Last year I used the Jets v Colts playoff game to highlight the weakness of this stat. Now lookie here, Mark Sanchez has been credited with a 4QC and a GWD for the game against the Cowboys.

WHAT THE FUCK!!

Let's have a look at this. Just after the 4th quarter started, Dallas took a 14 point lead. On their next possession, Sanchez played really well, completing 4 of 5 passes, and throwing the TD. Great job, but they are still down by 7, so there has been no 4QC or GWD yet. The Cowboys fumble. Jets 2nd possession this quarter Sanchez gets sacked fumble.  The Cowboys go nowhere and have a punt blocked, 24-24. On the Jets next possession, they go nowhere and punt it away. Romo throws it to Revis.  Sanchez then goes incomplete, incomplete, Folk gets a 50 yd FG, game over.

How in all of that the QB gets the credit for a 4QC and GWD is totally beyond my understanding. Not trying to pick on Sanchez here, he didn't choke it up like Romo did. But this game is just a perfect illustration on how meaningless these stats are.
9/13/11 10:11 PM
TheRealJoker
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Schaub got the shaft in this stat last year in the Jets game. He led a scoring drive to give the Texans to lead with 41 seconds left in the game. It's not his fault the defense was terrible.

I agree with OP.
9/13/11 10:38 PM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only stats that matter are wins, losses and rings.

-Me
9/14/11 9:13 AM
thePetester
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The only stats that matter are wins, losses and rings."

I disagree, just look at the above poster. The Texans could score 41 points and still lose. How is that Schaub's fault? They go 8-8 every years scoring 35 and giving up just as many. That does not indicate at all how well Schuab has played. Wins, losses, and rings are a team accomplishment.

Anyways, I have spent too much time on this argument and am not an analyst, so what could I possibly know.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.