UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roger Gracie: 'I made a fatal mistake'

9/15/11 9:46 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“I won’t fight at ADCC (at Birmingham, England on September 24th and 25th). I had in mind maybe I wasn’t fighting it, because every time I fought World before fighting MMA I didn’t feel good, I didn’t feel like my body and mind were 100%. It’s too close to risk it. I’m upset about it, but my priority has changed, I’m closer to MMA and leaving Jiu-Jitsu aside a little. In my mind I still want to fight the World, but it’s once a year, and I don’t mind the rest that much”.

“I couldn’t do what I have trained to do ...  I believed in my jab and he (King Mo) wasn’t bringing much danger. When I heard Renzo saying there was a minute and a half left for the end of the first round, I relaxed. I didn’t have enough time to submit him nor take him down, he wasn’t punching me, so I thought I would keep it that way until the second round. That was the first mistake. The second was that he accidentally hit his head against mine, and I got dizzy. I moved backwards, he punched me and I felt. That head was practically an accidental knockout. When I tried to grab him, clinch, his head hit my face and I backed off/"

“I was supposed to work on the clinch, because I wouldn’t risk trying to grab his legs and take him down because it wasn’t the beginning of the fight, so I wasn’t using much energy with no purpose. I was supposed to work on the clinch and take him down. And during the first round I didn’t try to do that, and suddenly I realized the danger he was putting me in.

"Losing is terrible. Nobody likes losing, especially being knocked out. But what can I do? I’ll train so it won’t happen again”.

“The lesson is that in MMA you must be more aggressive and you can’t blink. When I let it go when I heard Renzo saying there was a minute and a half left, it was a fatal mistake. In Jiu-Jitsu you can be taken down, lose a point, but in MMA you can be knocked out."

Read entire article...

9/15/11 9:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BuddyRevell
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's how he comes back from this crushing defeat that will show what kind of fighter Roger will turn out to be. I'd like to see the guy come back strong.
9/15/11 9:51 AM
kao
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is a good post fight interview from him. i like to see him back.
9/15/11 9:53 AM
Manny Yarbrough GOAT

King Mo throws bungalows, it happens. Hope to see him improve.
9/15/11 9:58 AM
Lt SmackaBitch

What were you trying to prove circling towards his right hand the whole round? Phone Post
9/15/11 10:02 AM
joemasepoos
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King Mo has a very hard head !!
9/15/11 10:08 AM
crazydave
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/15/11 10:13 AM
NYmmanow265
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he should fight a less dangerous striker.... romero or larkin
9/15/11 10:18 AM
Dokkalfar
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBob300 - Fuck your jab, believe in your kicks, Roger...

I believe George Foreman said that if you have a great jab fighting is easy.
9/15/11 10:35 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NYmmanow265 - I think he should fight a less dangerous striker.... romero or larkin

What? Larkin is a very dangerous striker, better than mo standing
9/15/11 10:47 AM
jiujitsu100
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope to see him come back stronger.
9/15/11 10:50 AM
Fight! UK Online
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

X_Rated -  It's refreshing and so awesome to hear such an objective self-analysis from a fighter. I really hope Roger comes back from this. He has all the potential in the world Phone Post

9/15/11 12:03 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm happy to hear he's already learning from his loss. Roger has the makings of an MMA superstar (looks,  talent, pedigree, great attitude).  Can't wait for his next fight!
9/15/11 12:05 PM
stillmatic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Say what you will, but that was a very hard headbutt that landed.
9/15/11 12:05 PM
McBottery

Still new to the game, I'm sure he will come back much stronger.
9/15/11 1:20 PM
pattitude
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there another angle of the accidental clash of heads?

It didn't look too bad to me. Certainly it would hurt and probably be surprising, but no way was it an "accidental knockout" like Roger claims. The overhand right is what knocked him out.
9/15/11 1:34 PM
1ChromosomeTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
9/15/11 1:38 PM
BradGluckman
608 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They need to work on his boxing basics on how not to circle into the power hand the clash of heads might not have occured
9/15/11 1:40 PM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pattitude - Is there another angle of the accidental clash of heads?

It didn't look too bad to me. Certainly it would hurt and probably be surprising, but no way was it an "accidental knockout" like Roger claims. The overhand right is what knocked him out.

he said "almost like" not that it was an accidental knockout, and he said it stunned him, making him more vulnerable to the overhand right. But he says it in a way that implies it was unintentional and not to use it as an excuse. Saying he fucked up strategy wise.
9/15/11 1:41 PM
T Bag

Gracie has nothing for Mo. He cant take him down and Mo was standing in front of him with his hands down for the entire round and Gracie couldnt do a thing to him.
The clash of heads (headbutt as he put it) was initiated by Gracie if anyone.
9/15/11 1:43 PM
1ChromosomeTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/15/11 1:43 PM
 Gracie has plenty for literally anyone in his class if he has the right strategy and the numbers swing his way. 
9/15/11 1:49 PM
guardbr8kr

where's your BJJ now homie??
9/15/11 2:23 PM
Bobby Lupo
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Devlin - 
pattitude - Is there another angle of the accidental clash of heads?

he said "almost like" not that it was an accidental knockout, and he said it stunned him, making him more vulnerable to the overhand right. But he says it in a way that implies it was unintentional and not to use it as an excuse. Saying he fucked up strategy wise.

This should settle the: Is Roger Brazilian or English? Argument once and for all. If he was Brazilian, there would have been a million excuses. Roger is a Brit.
9/15/11 2:53 PM
jkd4200

Glad he commented on the headbutt... it was accidental... but it played a huge part in finishing the fight.
9/15/11 4:08 PM
dhughes
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't even trane UFC but I'm curious for those of you that do - why would you relax with 1:30 left in the first round?

I can see doing that in the 3rd if you think you've won the fight. But a minute and 30 seconds is a long time in the first when legs are still fresh, etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.