UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mendez: I was hoping Barnett would lose

9/15/11 1:16 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“I was crossing my fingers [Barnett] wouldn’t win,” Mendez said with a laugh. “He’s so damn dangerous. There’s really not much weakness [with] him. We’re going to have to really, really do our homework with this one. … If you want to be realistic, after watching all the fighters, the number one guy that’s really the best out of the group, the first original eight, is the guy in the finals now. That’s Josh. If you’re going on how they approached their fights and [how] they looked in their fights, you have to give it to Josh.” 

That’s quite a compliment considering the original eight tournament entrants include Alistair Overeem, Fedor Emelianenko and Fabricio Werdum. Mendez knows Cormier is in for another challenge with Barnett, but his fighter is also dealing with a broken hand. Cormier confirmed the injury Monday on his Twitter account and added that he will be “on the shelf for a while.” 

read entire article...

9/15/11 2:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rebel927
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's right. Josh would beat anyone in the original 8. Reem would be a toss up. He might not sub Werdum, but he would take him down and beat him up. I think we know the truth about Fedor now. Josh does not KO many guys on the feet, so I think AA would be a challenge, but I'd pick Josh. The others are no problem.
9/15/11 3:23 PM
MMALOGIC

Josh got the easiest side of the bracket.  At his peak he was at best 4th behind Fedor, Nog and Crocop.  The last 2 top 10 HW's he fought he lost to both (nog and crocop) he hasnt fought a top 10 guys in 5 fucking years.

Are we to think that a guy who was 4th at his peak is going to be a top 5 guy in a talent pool that has evolved 5 years? 

So far he's been fighting nobodies.  The final will be the first time since losing to nog and crocop that he'll be fighting a relevant and up to date HW.

Cormier is gonna pimp slap him.
9/15/11 3:36 PM
Pernicious
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't realize Eva Mendez was a) so knowledgeable in MMA and b) such a Cormier fan
9/15/11 4:49 PM
OftheWay

Barnett is clearly a more dangerous opponent then Kharitonov, but I almost think they're overstating the case. I think Cormier matches up quite well with Barnett in all aspects and I think he wins the fight decisively.
9/15/11 4:55 PM
nhbguy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zamiel - 
MMALOGIC -  Josh got the easiest side of the bracket.  At his peak he was at best 4th behind Fedor, Nog and Crocop.  The last 2 top 10 HW's he fought he lost to both (nog and crocop) he hasnt fought a top 10 guys in 5 fucking years.

Are we to think that a guy who was 4th at his peak is going to be a top 5 guy in a talent pool that has evolved 5 years? 

So far he's been fighting nobodies.  The final will be the first time since losing to nog and crocop that he'll be fighting a relevant and up to date HW.

Yeah, no way 33 year old Barnett has evolved or gotten any better in 5 years. Dumbass.

MMAlogic, why do you keep saying that the HW talent pool has evolved in the last 5 years but Barnett hasn't? Where exactly are you getting that from?
9/15/11 5:05 PM
Jake88

A lot of people are either forgetting or are just unaware of how good of a striker Josh Barnett is. Josh picks Cormier apart on the feet and obviously destroys him on the ground. I have a feeling that Cormier and his camp realize this and are going to dicktuck and were gonna see Josh fight somebody else in the final.
9/15/11 5:12 PM
TKOkami'd by the GOAT
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -  Josh got the easiest side of the bracket.  At his peak he was at best 4th behind Fedor, Nog and Crocop.  The last 2 top 10 HW's he fought he lost to both (nog and crocop) he hasnt fought a top 10 guys in 5 fucking years.

Why is it a fact that Josh was at his peak at 28 as opposed to 33? Maybe he's peaking now...ever consider that?

9/15/11 8:42 PM
slamming

People here were all over Kharitanovs balls (for some reason) and Josh bullied him.

He beat Nog in 2006 and then lost a razor sharp decision against him shortly after (after dropping him clean).

Barnett is consistent. He hasnt been fighting world beaters lately, but he is durable, highly talented in all areas and consistent.
9/15/11 8:49 PM
JesusTapped
1036 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rebel927 - He's right. Josh would beat anyone in the original 8. Reem would be a toss up. He might not sub Werdum, but he would take him down and beat him up. I think we know the truth about Fedor now. Josh does not KO many guys on the feet, so I think AA would be a challenge, but I'd pick Josh. The others are no problem.
A cool breeze could KO Arlovski these days.... Phone Post
9/15/11 9:04 PM
ausgepicht

Oh man...5 posters in a row calling MMAlogic out on his MMA logic failasaurus rex. Spin and damage control in 5...4.....3....
9/15/11 9:07 PM
japetto

You wouldn't say that to his face!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.