UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cody McKenzie: If I lose I should be cut

9/16/11 11:46 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

With 11 first-round submission victories in 12 career wins, Cody McKenzie – and his opponents – never really knew where his conditioning stood.But in his two career losses (one official and one in an exhibition match), including his most recent to Yves Edwards, McKenzie found himself struggling to keep up with the pace.

"I've never had good wind," McKenzie recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "Everybody who's watched me fight knows that. I've finished all my fights in the first (round), and when it's gone to the second, I got finished. The two times I've ever been beaten, I gassed (in) both of them. So, I knew that my cardio needed readjusting, so I have worked a lot more on my cardio for this fight ... from now on out you won't see me gassing."

"I'm going to go in there and fight that same pace I've always fought, but this time I'm not going to fold. I feel like the two fights I did lose, I was winning until I couldn't breathe anymore – then I got finished for it. Fifteen minutes isn't a long time, so you won't see me doing that any more. I might have to sit down after the 15 minutes, but like I said before, if it goes to a decision, I'm not happy with my performance anyway."

"I'm not looking at Vagner Rocha as anything special. I look at him as I look at any opponent: I'm going to beat him up. I'm usually pretty confident going into a fight. Like pretty much at the end of this fight, I don't want him thinking 'Oh, I hope I can get a rematch with Cody McKenzie.' I want him being like, 'Please, please, never ever lock me in a cage with that kid again.'

"I don't want people thinking that it was a close fight or that it was decent. I want this guy to feel it, get punished from the very start to the very end, and that's what's going to happen. If he wins, I feel that I should retire myself. If I lose two in a row, I don't feel that I belong at the high level. So, this is my fight for redemption, and I'm going in there to get it."

"There's always pressure in a fight to a point. "I go in there thinking that it's a fight. One person wins, one person loses, and I know that, but I always go in there expecting myself to win and planning on winning. For sure, (there's) a whole new pressure coming off a loss. Like I said, if I lose two in a row, I don't deserve to be at the high level. I should go back to the smaller shows and work my way back up and get some wins if I lose.

"But I'm definitely not planning on losing. I'm going to destroy this guy."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

\Cody McKenzie fights Vagner Rocha fight Saturday at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. McKenzie vs. Rocha airs on the UFC Fight Night 25 preliminary card that streams on Facebook, but could make the night's main card airing on Spike TV, time permitting.

9/16/11 11:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrianStannFan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

war cody!
9/16/11 11:55 AM
disbeliever
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have to like this guy imo
9/16/11 12:05 PM
Zaph
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cody's a good guy.
9/16/11 12:07 PM
Kirik
1752 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 Such a winning attitude
9/16/11 12:14 PM
McCorklemyHero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The gif of him jumping into his boxing stance with the spotlights in the background is pretty much the coolest thing in the history of anything.
9/16/11 12:50 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this guy!
9/16/11 12:53 PM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cody is highly entertaining.
9/16/11 12:56 PM
epwar
603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/16/11 2:05 PM
chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mad respect. That is how someone improves their game! If he's being this honest with himself he will improve. Can't wait to see him fight Saturday! Phone Post
9/16/11 2:23 PM
R1WARRIOR

I was at wand fight team in vegas 2 weeks ago, Cody was training everyday there, all i can say is that is cardio will be good, no doubt about that. I'd say he walks around at 170-175. The dude is cool as hell, he would talk to every fans, take pictures etc, very down to earth guy, he was saying things like "i still have a lot to learn" etc..
War Cody!!
9/16/11 3:30 PM
lifeaftrprison
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That gif gets me to lol everytime.

TTT for Cody Phone Post
9/16/11 3:38 PM
OftheWay

Cody goes out there to finish every fight.  Gotta love that.
9/16/11 3:40 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Natural born fighter. Gotta respect that
9/16/11 3:41 PM
mikehfl

I like Cody, but plan to retire bro'. Wagner isn't going to let you catch him and you will get submitted. I hope this makes the Spike telecast. Go Ceara Rocha !!
9/16/11 3:57 PM
XxOrganicVegxX
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No worries Cody. If thing don't work out, I know you'll get work doing Captain Morgan commercials.
9/16/11 4:05 PM
JDSFTW

Only one loss so far. I wouldn't want him cut he is a very entertaining fighter and I enjoy watching him do his thing Phone Post
9/16/11 4:11 PM
slugshots skeezer

epwar -  
One of the best gifs ever

9/16/11 4:16 PM
McCorklemyHero

The loser of this fight is headed for art school.
9/16/11 4:23 PM
phatcat

Cody is good for the sport
9/16/11 5:32 PM
Dingleberry Flopdoink The 3rd
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stopped watching TUF long before the season he was on, but he seems like a cool guy. Hope he carves out a place for himself. Phone Post
9/16/11 5:34 PM
DLP

Vagner Rocha is a World Class BJJ black belt Cody is nowhere near his caliper on the ground and I doubt he can match his stand up either! Early retirement for Cody!
9/16/11 5:51 PM
epwar
603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caliper FTW!
9/16/11 5:54 PM
Winston Wolf

disbeliever - Have to like this guy imo
9/16/11 6:08 PM
chaplinshouse
735 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great attitude from the guillotine master but if i'm his manager I don't like him putting cut ideas in anyone's head. plus, i disagree, he lost to a mega vet last time, no shame in that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.