UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Anyone have a mystical relation with the Bible?

9/19/11 9:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMA Translations
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi,

Does anyone have a mystical relation with the Bible? 

I mean anything from numerology, personal revelation, or koan-like aphorisms to connections with alchemy, enlightenment or musical metaphor for God...
9/20/11 12:32 AM
Benedictus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, and I do not think the bible was meant for such or it could possibly become an idol.
9/27/11 7:40 PM
JesusTapped
814 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benedictus - No, and I do not think the bible was meant for such or it could possibly become an idol.
Jesus is an idol and followers of any "god" are deity worshippers.

Yes, you too... Phone Post
9/27/11 8:48 PM
Benedictus

Nice try, but you are the worst troll i have seen. Phone Post
9/27/11 9:16 PM
MMA Translations
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just presenting this as an example. Joseph Campbell, an extremely well-respected expert in comparative mythology, in "Myths to Live By":

In relation to the first books and chapters of the Bible, it used to be the custom of both Jews and Christians to take the narratives literally... It seems impossible today, but people actually believed all that until as recently as half a century of so ago: clergymen, philosophers, government officers, and all... But these are fictions of a type that have had - curiously enough - a universal vogue as the founding legends of other religions, too... For they are not historical. That much is clear. They speak, therefore, not of outside events but of themes of the imagination. And since they exhibit features that are actually universal, they must in some way represent features of our general racial "imagination, permanent features of the human spirit - or, as we say today, of the psyche. They are telling us, therefore, of matters fundamental to ourselves, enduring essential principles about which it would be good for us to know; about which, in fact, it will be necessary for us to know if our conscious minds are to be kept in touch with our own most secret, motivating depths. In short, these holy tales and their images are messages to the conscious mind from quarters of the spirit unknown to normal daylight consciousness, and if read as referring to events in the field of space and time - whether of the future, present, or past - they will have been misread and their force deflected, some secondary thing outside then taking to itself the reference of the symbol, some sanctified stick, stone, or animal, person, event, city, or social group.

Taken as referring not to any geographical scene, but to a landscape of the soul, that Garden of Eden would have to be within us. Yet our conscious minds are unable to enter it and enjoy there the taste of eternal life, since we have already tasted of the knowledge of good and evil. That, in fact, must then be the knowledge that has thrown us out of the garden, pitched us away from our own center, so that we now judge things in those terms and experience only good and evil instead of eternal life - which, since the enclosed garden is within us, must already be ours, even though unknown to our conscious personalities.

The teaching here is that Christ restored to man immortality. His cross, throughout the Middle Ages, was equated with the tree of immortal life; and the fruit of that tree was the crucified Savior himself, who there offered up his flesh and his blood to be our "meat indeed" and our "drink indeed." He himself had boldly walked, so to say, right on through the guarded gate without fear of the cherubim and that flaming turning sword... the Western Savior left his body nailed to the tree and passed in spirit to atonement - at-one-ment - with the Father: to be followed now by ourselves.

...we find the symbolism of the serpent, tree, and garden of immortality already in the earliest cuneiform texts, depicted on Old Sumerian cylinder seals, and represented even in the arts and rites of primitive village folk throughout the world.

I have heard good Christian clergymen admonish young couples at their marriage ceremonies so to live together in this life that in the world to come they may have life everlasting; and I have thought, Alas! The more appropriate mythic admonishment would be, so to live their marriages that in this world they may experience life everlasting. as suggested in a saying attributed to Christ in the Gnostic Gospel According to Thomas: "The Kingdom of the Father is spread upon the earth and men do not see it."
10/17/11 10:03 PM
MMA Translations

"The religions start from mysticism. There is no other way to start a religion. But, I compare this to a volcano that gushes forth ...and then ...the magma flows down the sides of the mountain and cools off. And when it reaches the bottom, its just rocks. You'd never guess that there was fire in it. So after a couple of hundred years, or two thousand years or more, what was once alive is dead rock. Doctrine becomes doctrinaire. Morals become moralistic. Ritual becomes ritualistic. What do we do with it? We have to push through this crust and go to the fire that's within it." - Catholic Benedictine monk David Steindl-Rast 
10/27/11 10:13 PM
Musashi
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no
10/28/11 2:21 AM
THE DEAN
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure, why not?

I just think that the concepts have been stripped of their meaning over the centuries.
10/28/11 2:49 AM
THE DEAN
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I can tell, Jesus was teaching a form of Vedanta.

"Before Abraham was, I AM"

"When you speak of Me, speak of Me as I AM"

"Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but my words shall pass away"

"Cleave a piece of wood and I AM there; Lift up the stone and you will find Me there."

"If you do not know yourselves, then you are in poverty and you are poverty"

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword"

"I AM Light"

"A dual-minded person is unstable in all ways"

I could go on and one but, to me, it's quite obvsious what the person called Jesus or Yeshu'a was actually teaching.
10/28/11 5:05 AM
jimmy23
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can go into more detail with personal messages via this site, but I will comment a bit here

Every religion has three levels of interpretation - the literal, the exoteric, and the esoteric. The literal level accepts every story as literal truth in all of its deatils. The exoteric accepts that many stories are metaphors and parables,  where symbolism points to deeper truths. The esoteric approach has as its goal direct contact with the divine at every level, direct experience of the truth of Reality.  

I believe that Christ was a fully awakened being and showed us what is in each of us, when and if we are willing to open ourselves to it.  To worship Christ is a good step for many, but stopping there is akin to finding a sign saying "This way to New York" and stoppingat the sign, thinking that you have now arrived in the big apple.
10/28/11 5:11 AM
MMA Translations

great posts guys. i will try to write more after the weekend and send some PMs. 
1/23/12 3:09 PM
samcarr6

I have a sexual relationship with my bible Phone Post
1/23/12 3:17 PM
Malvert the Janitor
814 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JesusTapped -
Benedictus - No, and I do not think the bible was meant for such or it could possibly become an idol.
Jesus is an idol and followers of any "god" are deity worshippers.

Yes, you too... Phone Post
This guy is a genius.

Seriously. Phone Post
9/21/12 3:34 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/21/12 3:35 PM
wups

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.