UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> this foodtruck fad...

9/21/11 12:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is crap, at least in chicago..
we have this law that prevents trucks from actually cooking in the truck.. so they sell out within an hour..

plus, the whole idea of food truck is cheap, unique food that is convenient. not $7 polish sausage the size of a regular hot dog. this is crap..

fads started by tv shows always suck ass..

/rant
9/21/11 12:32 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's like saying that all vietnamese food sucks because the joint near you cuts corners and puts out and inferior product
9/21/11 1:02 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't know, maybe they'd be cool if in california and they're operated by mexicans.. but here in chicago, i rather go brick and mortar for my lunch options.
9/21/11 1:56 PM
Z NEDCMK1
744 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is 50/50 here in NYC...

50% f'n awesome

50% either pure sh*t, or overpriced.
10/5/11 8:42 PM
alkysmurf
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive been seriously contemplating buy/opperating one of these. was thinking about having several cold sandwiches(basic turkey provolone red pepper, ham swiss ect) and ratating menu of speciallty hot sandwichs, meatball, cheese steaks, sausages/hotdogs ect, a soup/chilli, a few deli style salads(these can be prepped and pakaged in advance and are good for a few days) as well as a "gourmet style meal" think chicken parmesian, shepperds pie, smothered burrito....

i am a chef at a major grocery at the moment (have also worked several resturants, from chains to very high end), so i have lots of experiance with a wide spectrum of foods, and how to safely package/serve foods...

my first hesitation comes at licensing, i have no idea were to even start researching the codes/laws that would apply.

what do you guys think?
10/5/11 10:46 PM
alxholic

i don't know, give it a try.

just don't charge an arm, a leg, and an asshole for a sandwich like the fuckers here.
10/9/11 3:15 PM
BrockbackMountain
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KORILLA TRUCK....

NOMONOMONOMONMOM
10/29/11 9:39 AM
Bobby Lupo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm on the waiting list. 
2/7/13 11:05 PM
Ocean6
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sold my buddy in St. Petersburg an old short RV this past weekend that he is going to turn into a Food Truck.
2/8/13 6:57 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrockbackMountain - KORILLA TRUCK....

NOMONOMONOMONMOM

Those guys are making some cash, most others aren't. They do well and are a nice bunch.

2/8/13 10:50 AM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Food trucks are like any restaurant...

Some have great food. Some have shit food.
2/8/13 2:31 PM
Big Pun
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't exist in Lubbock, TX
5/19/13 10:13 PM
Mit
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think anytime someone is putting out from scratch food that isn't a bunch of processed crap is exciting. The idea that this food isn't hard to make has to get out there. The ones I have been to have been great. But we don't have tons of them around where I live.
8/13/13 1:52 AM
jcblass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know where you live, but here in LA they have to make bank. We have a simple hotdog truck that is out on Melrose every weekend. I have hung out and have never seen a minute go by where there wasn't at least 10 people there buying food.

Its like:

10 dollars
10 dollars
10 dollars
10 dollars
10 dollars

over and over for HOURS.....

what is the overhead on hotdogs, fries and a can of soda?
8/13/13 10:00 AM
PUBLIC's_bsc_in_my_bloodyfluid

"we have this law that prevents trucks from actually cooking in the truck."

Sounds like your city government is crap, not food trucks.

KORILLA TRUCK FTW !
10/2/13 3:02 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Pun - Doesn't exist in Lubbock, TX

Yeah, but you have Mama Rita's. I love that place.
10/2/13 3:02 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My friends have been trying to talk me into doing a BBQ truck or cart for years. I don't have the balls to invest all that money and possibly fail.
10/3/13 10:06 AM
Big Pun
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with you man. My friends have been trying to talk me into a BBQ cart to take to events. I'm just not into spending that kind of cash without knowing I would make some back
10/14/13 3:01 PM
cdmontgo
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The food cart scene in Portland is kickass. It start long before any food truck show though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.