UnderGround Forums

Oklahoma Underground >> Negligent Sam Adams kills Kid w whole life ahead?

9/22/11 2:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OMA (tm)
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Former TU football player killed last night during a church boxing match "ref'ed" by Sam Adams

Anyone know the details of this tragic news?

What I know: Guts church. Ref Sam Adams. Kid dead. Refs job to protect fighters.

What I don't know: regulated? EMTs and ambulance there? Doctors? Why 2x Ammy KBer would be qualified to ref a Boxing match? Was it a freak deal based on a medical condition? Or did this kid take an un- necessary beating???

This is a bad sitch! Phone Post
9/22/11 5:32 PM
THEENANIGHTMARE

Answers to your questions: No, No, No, Dont know, I doubt it, yes

THEE#1NDN
9/22/11 6:01 PM
BLPorritt
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nan is correct Phone Post
9/22/11 6:47 PM
Magnum TA

This is better than my UG attempt Phone Post
9/22/11 8:17 PM
pillbottle
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tang?
9/22/11 8:23 PM
soonerdad
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's on ESPN.... George Clinksdale (sp) was the guys name. Unsanctioned match. Guts is screwed. I'd post the article, but it keeps hanging up. Someone grab it for me.... Posted to ESPN.com an hour ago. Phone Post
9/22/11 8:27 PM
titanjiujitsu

By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
Published: 9/22/2011 10:04 AM
Last Modified: 9/22/2011 5:19 PM

Former University of Tulsa football player George Clinkscale died after taking part in a boxing event at GUTS Church on Wednesday night. He was 24.

Clinkscale, a linebacker at TU from 2005-09, was on the main-event card at GUTS Church's Fight Night VI when witnesses said he started cramping during his match.

The event was not sanctioned, according to the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission, which started an investigation Thursday and indicated evidence would be provided to the state attorney general's office.

GUTS Pastor Bill Scheer said Clinkscale's death has affected everyone at the church, and he wants to speak with Clinkscale's mother, who was driving to Tulsa from Dallas, before he issued official statements.

"To us, it's tragic," Scheer said. "We have to evaluate everything. ... I want to be sensitive to his family."

Scheer said he was aware of the investigation and allegations from the athletic commission but needed time before he could respond.

Scheer ministered Clinkscale for years both as an athlete and a patron of GUTS church and was in the hospital until 4 a.m. with Clinkscale's fiancée and family. The couple has a young daughter.

"He'll be missed," Scheer said.

Tulsa Police Sgt. Justin Farley said officers were not called to the scene Wednesday, but an off-duty officer was there working as security.

Farley said the officer requested for EMSA to respond to the address at 9:40 p.m. for a conscious male "in his 20s with a possible concussion."

EMSA spokesman Chris Stevens said paramedics responded shortly before 9:45 and treated and transported a male in his 20s from the area with a traumatic injury. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital in serious condition.

Clickscale was coherent and talking as he walked to the ambulance following the boxing match, Scheer said.

Scheer also said the boxing match had an experienced referee who oversaw each of the church's five previous fight-night events. Medical personnel were present along with Tulsa police officers and church security, he said.

The boxers all had proper head gear and wore 16-ounce gloves during their one-minute round, three-round matches, Scheer said.

Joe Miller, executive director of the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission, said USA Boxing (the sanctioning body of all amateur boxing events in Oklahoma) had no knowledge of the fight card. Miller spent Thursday morning investigating the event.

"Once I gather all of the information, I'll be turning it over to the state attorney general's office, who will in turn turn it over to probably the Tulsa County District Attorney's office," he said. "... It is a violation of Title 3A of the Oklahoma codes."

That code regulates amateur boxing events in Oklahoma. USA Boxing is the only organization the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission allows to sanction amateur events and has guidelines that govern them.

Sanctioned events require a pre-bout physical, a doctor ringside and an ambulance on site.

"The rules are in place to protect the athlete," Miller said. "That's why they are as stringent as they are and the medical requirements are what they are."

Miller said responsibility would be on the promoter of the event "whether it be the church, the pastor of the church, whoever promoted it, advertised it, put the show on or collected the money."

"I did find a website where this is not the first time this has happened," Miller said. "They billed this as GUTS Church VI, so obviously there have been others that have flown under the radar."

The news of Clinkscale's death shocked his former coaches and teammates. Former Tulsa coach Todd Graham recruited Clinkscale, who was from Cedar Hill, Texas.

Clinkscale was a four-year lettermen at TU and three-year starter, Clinkscale earned a degree in exercise sports science.

"We are incredibly heartbroken to hear about the passing of George Clinkscale, one of the most passionate young men I've ever met," Graham, the coach at the University of Pittsburgh, said in a statement. "... He will always hold a very special place in my heart. He was strongly committed to his family, his faith and his Tulsa teammates."

Dave Martin was Clinkscale's position coach in high school.

"I had spoken with him earlier in the week," said Martin, head coach at Jones High School. "You hate to see something happen like that to a young man. The Cedar Hill family and the Tulsa family lost a great individual, and I hate to hear about the loss."

Martin said Clinkscale "was a heck of a competitor. He was a kid that was playing like he was on fire, but he was smiling."

Central head coach Dan Phillips, previously a TU assistant, helped recruited Clinkscale. In August, Clinkscale became Central's linebackers coach after expressing a coaching interest to Phillips.

"I already knew what I had in George and it took me only five minutes to give him a whistle and a shirt," Phillips said.

Central is off to a surprising 3-0 start and its defense has been a big part of the success.

"The kids loved him," Phillips said. "He had a great relationship with them."

TU football coach Bill Blankenship released this statement: "Our football program has been shaken by the news of George Clinkscale's passing. The thoughts and prayers of the entire TU football family go out to his family and friends during this terrible time. George was much too young to be taken from us. He was an extremely passionate and bright young man who will be greatly missed and long remembered by his teammates and coaches. The thing I was most excited about in George's life right now was how tremendously excited he was to be a father. He was passionate about working as a football coach and how much he could make a difference with those young men. It's a tragic loss for all of us."

Several current and former teammates on Twitter relayed their condolences:

"Lost one in the Tulsa family today. Crazy thing is I saw him last night. Please pray for his family. RIP GEORGE CLINKSCALE." - @Thomas_Roberson

"Prayers go out to the family of George Clinkscale! George was a great football player, teammate, but an even better man." - @nicholasDgraham

"Lost a co-worker and a TU brother last night. Less than 24 hours ago we were laughing and having fun workin. Rest In Peace George Clinkscale." - JamesFloyd71

By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
9/22/11 8:37 PM
Magnum TA

They need to shut that so-called church down and make Khru Master Adams never refs a fight again. Phone Post
9/22/11 9:02 PM
OMA (tm)

They are already in damage control lying their asses off!!!

What did they say about "kru" Adams was experienced or respected or something??? LOL!!!!

And another LOL at a dude w 2 Ammy fights 35 years ago, opens up a school where he won't spar w people and won't grapple w anyone never boxed and couldn't control even novice dude at what basically comes down a smoker at a church.

He is just a fraud. Next Piet will be telling me he is 28-5 pro MMA like when he first moved here. I respect Piet cause he at least snapped out of his lying phase Phone Post
9/22/11 9:03 PM
OMA (tm)

This is just a bad bad deal for everyone involved Phone Post
9/22/11 9:04 PM
Magnum TA

Kudos Phone Post
9/22/11 10:19 PM
Stunpals
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is the ESPN.com link with the AP version.

Associated Press

TULSA, Okla. -- Former Tulsa linebacker George Clinkscale died Wednesday after taking part in an unsanctioned boxing match. He was 24.

Joe Miller, director of the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission, said Thursday that Clinkscale took part in the bout late Wednesday at a Tulsa-area church. Miller says witnesses described Clinkscale becoming ill during the fight and he was taken to a local hospital, where he died.

Clinkscale, who was a linebacker for the Golden Hurricane from 2005 to 2009, was billed as the main event at Fight Night VI sponsored by GUTS Church.

Miller says the results of the OSAC's investigation will be turned over to the state attorney general's office because the event was not sanctioned.

"It's an illegal event, it's not sanctioned by the commission," Miller said. "They're running outside the law."

Miller said if the event had been sanctioned, there would have several experts on hand, such as qualified referees, medics and doctors.

"I really hope this opens up some eyes," Miller said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7005877/former-tulsa-golden-hurricanes-george-clinkscale-dies-unsanctioned-boxing-match

Can turtle ask one of his "I FREEZE SCREEN NAME AND DELETE POST" mod friends to merges these threads?
9/22/11 10:52 PM
Magnum TA

I also heard white couple from ORU was gunned down in Hinds park Phone Post
9/22/11 10:54 PM
shibbyguy

damn. thats a bad deal........fuckin morons. shit like this shouldnt still be happening
9/23/11 12:04 AM
OMA (tm)

This is just a bad bad deal for everyone involved Phone Post
9/23/11 12:08 AM
Magnum TA

At least Sam is an equal opportunist. He came close to getting a few of his own fighters killed in that uncooked show. Phone Post
9/23/11 12:53 AM
Furyan
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had a discussion tonight with someone at my gym while on the treadmill. They're argument for GUTS was "well they had the guy sign a waiver so they're safe." I attempted to explain that a waiver is a written contract agreeing to not hold a party responsible for harm at an event. Because the fight was unsanctioned, the waiver (contract) is void because a contract cannot be signed under illegal terms. Okay I can be signed, but it won't hold up in court. Of course the guy on the opposite treadmill told me I'm wrong and I'm just stupid for blaming anyone else other than the fighter. ITS A CULT!!! Phone Post
9/23/11 2:53 AM
OMA (tm)

Sam Adams was picked up by the Tulsa Metro tonight at 9:45 for "questioning related to manslaughter case"

That's all they would tell his new wife. He has yet to be released as of 1:45 am Friday Phone Post
9/23/11 2:56 AM
Magnum TA

Tang Phone Post
9/23/11 3:05 AM
Magnum TA

What is O'rourke's opinion on this? Phone Post
9/23/11 3:19 AM
teamhazard

Magnum TA - Tang Phone Post

hey NAN can u Text Scam Adams your legal teams digits?
9/23/11 3:27 AM
OMA (tm)

Sam and Bryan will be "teammates" again very soon so it would seem Phone Post
9/23/11 8:32 AM
THEENANIGHTMARE

teamhazard - 
Magnum TA - Tang Phone Post

hey NAN can u Text Scam Adams your legal teams digits?
I cannot help him, unless he has the cash

THEE#1NDN

9/23/11 8:52 AM
BLPorritt
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I knew that Boston Lager of his would kill someone eventually....

Too soon?? Phone Post
9/23/11 9:47 AM
budwhite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OMA (tm) -  Sam Adams was picked up by the Tulsa Metro tonight at 9:45 for "questioning related to manslaughter case"

That's all they would tell his new wife. He has yet to be released as of 1:45 am Friday Phone Post

Who is this "Tulsa Metro" you speak of?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.