UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> Looking for some help - Detective letter

9/23/11 7:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of writing my Chief a letter advising him of my interest in becoming a detective. I'm a relatively young officer with only four years on patrol. Just wondering if you have tips on how to make my letter really stand out?

I truly believe that I can be an asset to the bureau, I'd like him to know that after reading my letter, without it appearing corny or too general.

Thanks in advance.
9/24/11 12:52 AM
BshMstr
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do you have to interview, or how does the process work?

i'd suggest talking to some of the people you work with about how to phrase the letter....some want a basic letter of interest, whereas others might prefer a ton of info (basically replacing the interview process).... i would suggest highlighting your resume in how you would be good for the job. for instance, when i applied for our bomb squad, i pointed out the counter-IED courses i've been through, previous bomb calls, etc...
9/24/11 8:33 AM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meet with him...let him know you are ready to learn and be molded as he sees fit. Ask him if he can teach you...or does he have det. experience? Have you been thru Reid, basic and advanced; Forensic interviewing...sex crimes schools etc?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.