UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Renzo:"ADCC Rules w/ Heelhooks & Slams are Better"

9/24/11 1:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tap21
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo is asked if he thinks ADCC rule that allow for heelhooks and slams, rules that are closer to MMA, are better. He replies that he thinks rules including heelhooks and slams are better and build better fighters.
11/10/11 12:29 PM
Ezekiel

Where is the link to the interview Phone Post
11/11/11 10:16 AM
Tap21

The video is in the post. Is it not appearing for you?

I don't have the link off hand, but it's the video interview that Budovideos did with Renzo at ADCC weigh-ins.
11/11/11 7:40 PM
chitownbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap21 - Renzo is asked if he thinks ADCC rule that allow for heelhooks and slams, rules that are closer to MMA, are better. He replies that he thinks rules including heelhooks and slams are better and build better fighters.
ADCC doesnt allow heelhooks and Ricco Rodriguez never slammed Marcelo Garcia?!

What's your point? Phone Post
11/14/11 2:28 AM
Tap21

It's not my point, it's Renzo's.

He is saying he likes the ADCC rules which include heelhooks and slams.

I was there live in Long Beach in 2005 when Ricco slammed Marcelo.
11/14/11 9:39 AM
chitownbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap21 - It's not my point, it's Renzo's.

He is saying he likes the ADCC rules which include heelhooks and slams.

I was there live in Long Beach in 2005 when Ricco slammed Marcelo.
and everything is legal in NAGA no-gi...

ZzzzZzzz Phone Post
11/17/11 12:49 AM
Tap21

^?
11/17/11 1:55 AM
chitownbjj

Tap21 - ^?
The rules have been the same since way back....and of course Renzo is going to say that.

Your point in making this thread is?! Oh yeah let me guess...no-gi training > gi?

ZZzzzzZzZ Phone Post
11/17/11 8:07 AM
Tap21

Actually, I think it is interesting that Renzo would say that given his historically close ties to Gracie Barra and the fact that the head of Gracie Barra, Carlos Gracie, Jr., has obviously chosen to outlaw heelhooks and slams in the IBJJF.
11/17/11 10:30 AM
chitownbjj

Tap21 - Actually, I think it is interesting that Renzo would say that given his historically close ties to Gracie Barra and the fact that the head of Gracie Barra, Carlos Gracie, Jr., has obviously chosen to outlaw heelhooks and slams in the IBJJF.

2 completely different types of tournament so it's not a fair apple-to-apple comparison.

additionally, Renzo has a pretty good relationship with ADCC or did you think that it was a coincident that he fought on UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi?
11/17/11 10:58 AM
Tap21

His relationship with Sheik Tahnoon and ADCC is better than pretty good.

IBJJF holds no-gi tournaments and ADCC is a no-gi tournament. But, the differences between the two are exactly what Renzo's comments highlight.
11/17/11 4:56 PM
chitownbjj

Tap21 - His relationship with Sheik Tahnoon and ADCC is better than pretty good.

IBJJF holds no-gi tournaments and ADCC is a no-gi tournament. But, the differences between the two are exactly what Renzo's comments highlight.

Yeah everyone at IBJJF tournies are high-level grapplers?! Imagine if you were a noob/white belt and got kneebarred or heelhooked and didnt have enough time to tap. Additionally, noobs power-slamming outta a triangle is a really good idea too. Let's see how long before you get your first quadruplegic?

Yeah these are things ADCC really need to be worrying about.

I suggest you try running a tourney for the masses with ADCC rules and see how much liability insurance you would need to carry.
11/17/11 5:55 PM
HoldYerGround
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^The genius' over at IBJJF already figured that one out. You disallow the lower belt levels from doing things like kneebars (which are LEGAL by the way for higher ranks... how could you not know this?) or whatever else is dangerous.

No noobs in the black belt category as far as I'm aware.
11/17/11 5:57 PM
HoldYerGround
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would really like to see heelhooks and knee reaping legalization in IBJJF events.
11/17/11 6:09 PM
chitownbjj

HoldYerGround - Would really like to see heelhooks and knee reaping legalization in IBJJF events.
This is easily corrected by IBJJF with enough uproars from BBs and fans.

Anyone can organize tournies w ADCC rules and compete against IBJJF

Good luck? Phone Post
11/17/11 6:21 PM
chitownbjj

HoldYerGround - ^The genius' over at IBJJF already figured that one out. You disallow the lower belt levels from doing things like kneebars (which are LEGAL by the way for higher ranks... how could you not know this?) or whatever else is dangerous.

No noobs in the black belt category as far as I'm aware.
That is my point...ADCC competitors are high-level grapplers and know what they are getting into. Contrast this with sport jiu-jitsu BBs who might not have extensive experiences with leglocks. IBJJF rules will change as mpre people get involved with the sport.

To compare the two rule sets and ppint tp Renzo as an endorsement is a reach (diff emphasis hence diff rules)

Ok....i think the ORIGINAL gracie challenge rules are the best? No time limit and it's a real fight? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.