UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sperry defeats Renzo at ADCC Super Fight

9/25/11 4:04 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Renzo Gracie vs, Ze Mario Sperry
ADCC 2100 World Submission Wrestling World Championship
Nottingham, England
$50,000 prize

Much taller and stronger, Ze Mario Sperry also had more white hairs on his head facing a smiling Renzo Gracie. The veterans, both with 44, showed much energy in the super fight.

Sperry was offensive during the entire fight, trying to dictate its rhythm. When the bout went to the floor, he tried to reach for the half guard, using his weight to gain positions, but Gracie escaped from them quickly and stood up.

Mario caught Renzo on his back, but Gracie is used to training with UFC champions like Georges St. Pierre and Frankie Edgar, and again he escaped.

The score, tied at 0x0, forced an overtime. Renzo tried to take the fight to the ground, but Sperry counterattacked and opened 2 points on his advantage. Ze Mario broke through Renzo's guard and scored 5x0, winning the contest.

“Renzo surprised me. I studied his game and he changed some things, so I had to change my strategy during the fight. I played it carefully, I didn’t want to risk much," said Sperry, after the fight. “Renzo’s name speaks for itself, he’s a great athlete and a great guy. It’s normal people root for him, but I’m here to and I like overcoming my own obstacles."

Upset about the slippery mat, Renzo commented on the duel. “The mat was really slippery, it seems like if we were fighting in a pool, and when there’s a big weight gap, it gets complicates. When I tried to move, I slipped and lost it”, tells Gracie. “He was sweat like a pig, but it was fun (laughs)."

Excited, Renzo announced he hopes to fight MMA again soon. “It was just a warm-up ... I could do this the whole night."

Read entire article...

9/25/11 4:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bugbjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't expect renzo to lose this one
9/25/11 4:18 PM
Jody
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not? Size does count. Sperry is probably about 220, while Renzo is probably 190.
9/25/11 11:27 PM
WRESTLENOW

wrestling wins again.
9/25/11 11:32 PM
aej1984

I love both guys. I like Renzo a bit more, and hoped he would win, but Sperry was a titan of BJJ. It's hard to have called a definite winner beforehand. I do wish it would have been Gracie rules win win only by sub, but I'm happy this match occurred.
9/26/11 1:45 AM
supersaiyan

wow this fight took place in 2100??? how did i miss it?? oh i am dead probably with any luck
9/26/11 2:10 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn! 2 old school legends! love it!
9/26/11 4:05 AM
inf0
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the veterans, both with 44

They had guns?

9/26/11 4:56 AM
Brasco

Sperry looked awesome and i think could win some matches right now in the adcc bracket.....both looked great actually and they went hard for 20 minutes !!
9/26/11 10:07 AM
Mit

bugbjj - Didn't expect renzo to lose this one

Really? Given Sperry's ADCC record I was def expecting it.
9/26/11 10:48 AM
Stubbsy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't a good fight to watch. Lots of stood collar and tie. And Sperry jumping away from single legs. Renzo's guard looked great. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.