UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> ADCC: As Many Leglocks as RNCs+Armbars+Triangles

9/25/11 10:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tap21
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I am counting right, here's how the numbers break down in the mens divisions for ADCC this year:

52 wins by pts
17 wins by leglock
8 wins by armbar
6 wins by guillotine
5 wins by RNC
4 wins by triangle
2 wins by judges decision
1 win by D'Arce
1 win by DQ

That means that there were as many leglocks as armbars, RNCs, and Triangles combined!
9/26/11 6:05 PM
Tap21
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, it shows how far no-gi has gotten from the gi, when you consider the factors below.

Heelhooks and knee reaping aren't even allowed in BJJ.

Two of the 6 Gold Medalists haven't trained seriously in the gi for years.

Dean Lister quit the gi at least 8 years ago (prior to 2003 ADCC).

As for Vinny, although I think his current teaching gig has him teaching some gi classes, Vinny has posted here in the past about how he has gone several years at a time without the gi:

He posted this in January 2010--
"Unfortunately I don't wear a gi since 2007, and I have a fight scheduled for march, so most likely, I'm not competing in the ADCC Pro Gi, since I'm not fighting for free or paying to fight."

And also this in January 2010--
"I just competed at the 2007 Mundials, where I took 3rd Place in a division above mine, after 2 years without training with gi, and having only 2 weeks of gi training at Saulo's school..."

So that would imply that as of January 2010, he had 2 weeks of gi training in the last 5 years.
9/27/11 3:12 PM
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are obsessed with this I see^ it's so easily offset. Galvao who is a gi guy won his division and absolute so there goes Dean and any other random winner from there for vinny. I'm a huge fan of both and a huge fan of gi or nogi. Why do you want to divide them so bad? Out of the available medal which off the top of my head is 18 or so?? You are hung up on 2? I don't get it. What about the 16 other gi guys Phone Post
9/27/11 4:32 PM
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Catchwrestling and Sambo dominate ADCC!!!!!    ;-)
9/27/11 8:47 PM
Tap21

Rival School - You are obsessed with this I see^ it's so easily offset. Galvao who is a gi guy won his division and absolute so there goes Dean and any other random winner from there for vinny. I'm a huge fan of both and a huge fan of gi or nogi. Why do you want to divide them so bad? Out of the available medal which off the top of my head is 18 or so?? You are hung up on 2? I don't get it. What about the 16 other gi guys Phone Post

The thing that strikes me is how disproportionately well the very small number of no-gi guys perform.
10/13/11 11:59 AM
Sub Reactor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick question, were all of the arm bars straight arm bars or did you count kimuras and such in that number?
10/13/11 6:38 PM
Tap21

It's been so long that it's hard to remember.

But, I went off what finishes were actually shown on the live broadcast and what ADCC posted on its facebook in the completed brackets for the finishes that weren't shown on the broadcast. So, if ADCC included kimuras and etc under the umbrella of "armbar" in the completed brackets it posted, then it's possible that other arm submissions might be included.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.