UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 40-year-old Alexis Vila's long, strange trip

9/27/11 11:13 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Alex Vila entered the conciousness of the sport Saturday night with a potential knockout of the year candidate in a non title bout vs. Bellator Featherweight Champion Joe Warren (see bottom). How he got there includes defection and years in jail on a terrorism charge.

Vila was a bronze medalist in wrestling at the 1996 Olympics, when he represented his native Cuba. A year later he defected to the United States and began exploring the possibility of becoming a professional fighter -- but that process was nearly derailed when he was sent to prison for three years after what he says was an accident, but the authorities labeled a terrorist act.

In 2004 Vila crashed his SUV into a Southeast Airlines ticket counter and smashed through a wall at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Then he ran. No one was hurt, and Vila has always maintained that it was simply an accident. But authorities initially believed Vila had committed a terrorist act, and, after commitment for a psychiatric evaluation, charged Vila with committing airport violence, a felony that could have put him in prison for 20 years. He eventually pleaded guilty in exchange for a lesser sentence.

"I was in prison for three years," Vila said. "It's no good. I'm a little guy so people who don't know me try things all the time. So I fought a lot. They didn't believe that I could fight. I said when I get out and I fight I'm going to be the champ."

"My dad is really sick over there (in Cuba) but there's nothing I can do. I can only send money, not visit. I tell my mom, I send money so you guys can have a better life."

Vila made it through the first round of the eigh-man tournament. Two more fights, and he will have a lot more money to send home.

9/27/11 12:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
3Lions
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brilliant takedown by the ref!
9/27/11 3:11 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustSaying -  Whether it was an accident or not.  Its still a pretty sad story.  Immigrating to another country by yourself, just so you can make some extra money to send back to your family.  With never having the ability to return home to be with them, I can't imagine how he's able to go on every day.  I guess the thought that all of this is for them and if he gives up he gives up on them.

TT for Alexis Vila

THIS
9/27/11 3:13 PM
Ligeia420

someone romo that warren picture

ALSO WAR VILA!!
9/27/11 3:16 PM
epwar
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ligeia420 -  someone romo that warren picture
Your dreams await at this thread, my fren.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=1881618&page=1&pc=173

9/28/11 12:36 AM
xcouturefan

ttt
9/28/11 1:34 PM
xcouturefan

nice

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.