UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> K Angle:"DFW Wanted Me to Fight Kimbo Slice on PPV

9/27/11 1:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
J-Tee
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/11 1:12 PM

Kurt Angle: Dana White wanted me to fight Kimbo Slice on pay-per-view

2256784145_7602b1e0e6_b_medium

It's true ... it's damn true.

At least in the mind of Olympic gold medalist and longtime professional wrestler Kurt Angle, who continues to talk mixed martial arts while promoting his role in the "Warrior" movie that's currently fading away at the box office.

Angle, a headliner for Impact! Wrestling, formerly known as Total Nonstop Action (TNA), definitely has the credentials to make a name for himself inside the Octagon. After all, who wouldn’t want to have an Olympic gold medalist on their roster?

You know, assuming you could overlook his history of pill-popping and drunk driving.

In a conversation with The Void, the Pittsburgh native reveals his "trials" to get into MMA and the offers that were given to him by UFC President Dana White, including a pay-per-view slot against bearded brawler Kimbo Slice.

Star-divide

"I’ve tried out five times; let me tell you what happened.I met with the IFL, I met with Pro VFC, I met with Pride, I met with the UFC twice, and the reason I did not sign with any of them was, the three other companies weren’t paying me near what UFC was offering, so there was a money issue; then, the UFC, who I would have signed with in a second -- and I passed their physical, thank God -- wanted me to start just four-and-a-half weeks later. No way. I had to do what they wanted under their terms. Me trying out for the Olympics is under my terms. I choose my weight class, how I’m gonna train, who I’m gonna train with, and that the US Open is when I’m gonna start. It was hard because I love Dana White and I respect him a lot. The first time I met him he wouldn’t let me wrestle and fight, and I had just signed with TNA, and I didn’t want to go back to TNA and say 'Hey, I’m not doing this now…' so he said 'call me when you’re done wrestling.' I called him a couple of years later – I was getting a little tired of wrestling – I said 'Hey, I’m ready,' so we had another meeting and he had me do a physical, and he threw a great offer at me, but said 'I need you in four and a half weeks.' I said 'I can’t do that. You’ve gotta give me 3-6 months,' but he said 'I need you in four a half weeks,' so I said 'Well then; we’re not going to be able to do this.' We didn’t talk for a while, but now we’re back to being good friends. The reason Dana White wanted me so quickly though, is because he wanted to put me in the next available pay-per-view against Kimbo Slice."

Very odd matchmaking if the fight would have went down.

Angle, a superior wrestler against a "one trick pony" in Kimbo Slice, probably wouldn’t have made for the most exciting match; however, it’s interesting to see that Dana White and the ZUFFA brass may have actually been considering this.

Though far from a freak show, the matchmaking probably would have left some people scratching their heads. 

Fans who have been anticipating Kurt Angle's MMA debut may have to keep on holding their breath as the 42-year-old wrestling guru recently revealed he signed a new three-year deal with Impact.

Anyone buying what Angle is selling? Or is he a gold medalist in tall tales as well as wrestling?

9/27/11 1:23 PM
jason73
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in b4 dfwjr calls bullshit
9/27/11 1:30 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kurt is delusional Phone Post
9/27/11 1:34 PM
Big EP
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This shit again?
9/27/11 1:35 PM
Don_Dada
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kurt Angle imo.
9/27/11 1:43 PM
Graceful Kauto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't anyone feel bad for Kurt?

Isn't it clear that he is fucked up in the head to continually come out with this bullshit, even after Dana has refuted it?

This isn't a simple case of someone bullshitting, this is the case of someone who has taken so much medication their head is fucked up.

I feel so sorry for the guy.
9/27/11 2:12 PM
r_o_y

Graceful Kauto - Doesn't anyone feel bad for Kurt?

Isn't it clear that he is fucked up in the head to continually come out with this bullshit, even after Dana has refuted it?

This isn't a simple case of someone bullshitting, this is the case of someone who has taken so much medication their head is fucked up.

this is what i think right now when i see these interviews or see him wrestle. something seems wrong. not sure if it's drugs or maybe a head injury but something is up.
9/27/11 2:16 PM
supersaiyan

they should make a fight of it regardless so Angle can just rest well knowing he obtained his ultimate dream imo
9/27/11 2:17 PM
BJJkilla
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kurt must have been drunk when he gave this interview.
9/27/11 2:17 PM
picanoc231

Radio Raheem - Kurt is delusional Phone Post
. Phone Post
9/27/11 2:18 PM
Darth Ryase
1331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad to see an Olympic gold medalist still living with pipe dreams. Or pills dreams. Or whatever the hell he's on.
9/27/11 2:22 PM
Str4nger D4nger
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kurt Angle: "Dana White's gonna name his next daughter after me... true story." Phone Post
9/27/11 2:53 PM
Seamus619

Darth Ryase -  Sad to see an Olympic gold medalist still living with pipe dreams. Or pills dreams. Or whatever the hell he's on.
Agreed. Phone Post
9/27/11 2:58 PM
BigWilliam
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not buying this for a second.
9/27/11 3:00 PM
picanoc231

Kurts a strange dude Phone Post
9/27/11 3:24 PM
Listen to Rush
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha what if this did actually happen!? Phone Post
9/27/11 3:29 PM
the islander
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/27/11 3:36 PM
Liquid8

You know everytime there's a front page article on Kurt Angle, that it's a slow day in MMA news.
9/27/11 3:45 PM
TecHNieK

Lmao Phone Post
9/27/11 3:48 PM
I Fapped When Rampage Tapped

This guy is crazy hahaha
9/27/11 3:51 PM
VinCenzo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The real question is why didn't Kurt fight Kimbo on 4 weeks notice? With his level of wrestling he could have beat Kimbo in 1 days notice. All the respect to Kimbo but his wrestling is his weak spot and thats Kurts bread and butter.

Kimbo had a huge following as does Kurt with wrestling. Brock had a huge response in his first fight with the UFC. A Kurt v Kimbo would be huge regardless if the hardcore mma community cared about it. UFC would have gained many crossover fans. He would have taken his time with his 2nd opponent after beating Kimbo if he needed.
9/27/11 4:04 PM
5 Round Main Event

There is no possible way this is true. We all know how delusional Kurt has been, but seriously?

If Kurt had ever really said yes to an offer from the UFC, Dana would have given him as much time as he needed to make his debut. I don't doubt that Dana might have wanted him to fight ASAP but lets be real.

There's way too much money to be made for Dana to say, "Oh you can't fight in 4 weeks? DEAL OFF!!!"
9/27/11 4:05 PM
Stan Dan Wang

idiot Angle would have got mashed up.
9/27/11 4:06 PM
Stan Dan Wang

Graceful Kauto - Doesn't anyone feel bad for Kurt?

he is the wrestling version of Seagal.
9/27/11 4:07 PM
Freakin 10er
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VinCenzo - The real question is why didn't Kurt fight Kimbo on 4 weeks notice? With his level of wrestling he could have beat Kimbo in 1 days notice. All the respect to Kimbo but his wrestling is his weak spot and thats Kurts bread and butter.

Kimbo had a huge following as does Kurt with wrestling. Brock had a huge response in his first fight with the UFC. A Kurt v Kimbo would be huge regardless if the hardcore mma community cared about it. UFC would have gained many crossover fans. He would have taken his time with his 2nd opponent after beating Kimbo if he needed.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm not inclined to believe this. Kimbo would have been a fairly easy opening match for a wrestler of Kurt's pedigree

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.