UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones' coach: Silva doesn't want that fight

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/27/11 2:13 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

On Mauro Ranallo's The MMA Show yesterday, Jon Jones’ trainer Mike Winklejohn weoghed in on his, and the entire sports' star pupil.

Mauro Ranallo: “Do you give (John Jones) freedom to become creative and adlib inside the Octagon? How much did we see of that on Saturday (against Rampage), if so?”

Mike Winkeljohn: “Oh, quite a bit, you know what, we let him ad-lib within certain parameters. The game plan was definitely break Quinton down, let’s break his legs down, let’s break his body down, let’s slow him down and stay away from his big bombs and then anything you want to do, Jon, you’re going to be capable. You’ll be able to shoot in and take him down after you’ve broken him down and it played out that way, so I’m real happy with what he did. We made some mistakes and Jon hurt his foot with an inside leg kick. Jon doesn’t that experience, yet, from fighting. If you think about his time standing up in the cage, we’re talking a few rounds, a few minutes where he’s actually doing stand-up. He doesn’t have that kind of experience. Some of these guys have had many fights, numerous fights in kickboxing. Jon just comes from a wrestling background so all this is new, so he’s still trying to figure out all the striking out and doing really well with it.”

MR: “There is precision and technique, the spinning elbows, the kicks to the patella tendon. Do you see any similarities between him and Anderson Silva or does that come up at all when going through game plans with him or how do you see him as a fighter compared to others that you’ve worked with?”

MW: “You know what, I think with Anderson, Anderson is probably the best as far as the eyes going, watching an opponent and then knowing he can strike a certain time and put them on their ass. That’s what Anderson does and I think Jon’s getting there with his strikes. I think Jon’s much better, way past Anderson as far as wrestling skills go. With his stand-up I think Jon brings many more strikes to the table than Anderson has, a lot more variety. We’re just not there on a knockout type of shot, we’re going to get there pretty soon. We hurt Rampage many times during that fight with strikes, but we’re going to get there. We’re going to get those things fine-tuned. It’s just going to take just a little bit longer and we’ve only just begun. The future is definitely bright for Jon.”

MR: “What do you think about his learning curve right now? Where do you think he is?”

MW: “Oh, I think he’s there. You know what, down the road there’s no doubt he’s going to get some weight on and go to Heavyweight but he’s got a lot to do at Light Heavyweight. I don’t think Anderson would probably want that fight with Jon Jones. I think, you know, Anderson would use his length and pick his shot against people. With Jon coming in at so many different angles from a long range, I definitely don’t think that’s a good fight for Anderson. I think we’re here to stay in the Light Heavyweight division for a while and build a legend, something that hasn’t been done in a little bit of a while. The Light Heavyweight division has had a lot of turnover.”

With much fan speculation growing about whether Anderson Silva should face Jon Jones given that it seems a GSP/Anderson fight is unlikely to happen, Rashad Evans seems to be off to the side. Yes, he’ll be fighting Jones next but it’s an uncomfortable kind of situation. You have hardcores who think UFC is scripting and manipulating the way it’s being presented, you have fans wondering if there is a real feud at all, and then you have the casual fans who largely think Bones is going to wreck Rashad. Not just beat him, but humiliate him in that 7-to-1 kind of favorite way.

MR: “What happened, from your perspective? Why did it turn out all the way it did and do you feel it’s nothing more than maybe a misunderstanding at the end? Maybe even after the fight, win or lose, do you think Jones and Evans will ever patch things up or will the antipathy will continue to grow as we near the title fight afterwards?”

MW: “They came to camp, I wouldn’t say that they were the greatest friends, they just trained together a little bit. It’s just one of those things. It sucks for Rashad in that he was going to fight the title, he didn’t get the chance, and Jon took it so I’m sure there’s some sour grapes there and I don’t blame him. At the end of the day, everyone wants to be champion, teammate or not. That’s what everybody wants to do. I don’t blame him in the slightest. I’d want to fight for the title, everybody does. You have two great fighters trying as hard as they can to beat the crap out of each other, find out who’s the best, and then afterwards I think the respect will come and they’ll go forward hopefully with a lot of money in their pocket and even more fans.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

9/27/11 2:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
A.Muradyan
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CalicoInsurance.com
this is kind of unfair, to push for a fight where the other fighter competes at a weight class (20 lbs)below your fighter. The honorable thing is to push for a fight above your weight.

Though I would love to see this fight.
9/27/11 2:47 PM
LayNprayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LMAO at the title of this thread....doesn't really match what the whole interview is about at all....
9/27/11 2:48 PM
LayNprayNINJA

Edited: 09/27/11 2:48 PM
Beast from the East - Bones is too big for Anderson and is better at every facet of MMA (because of his size in this matchup).

Anderson is currently the GOAT and should think about fighting GSP and in no way Bones cause he would unfortunately get destroyed.

But I would watch!

You honeslty think that Bones is a better striker than Anderson? 
9/27/11 2:52 PM
OftheWay

Call me crazy, but I don't thing Jones would gave anything for Silva. Phone Post
9/27/11 2:57 PM
AceAtGSU
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone is saying Anderson shouldn't fight Bones because he is a weight class up, but no one says that shit when GSP gets pushed to fight Anderson. My take on it is if you don't wanna fight someone a weight class up fine, if they wanna make your weight and they want the fight then they will. It should fall on whoever is asking for the fight really.
9/27/11 2:58 PM
Mr Sponge
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva would kill jones Phone Post
9/27/11 3:00 PM
Body Shots
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did not read that FRAT but Andy would murder Jones Phone Post
9/27/11 3:02 PM
Gaspare

Jones would Murder Ando
Ando would be throw around like a rag doll Phone Post
9/27/11 3:02 PM
Brian Rule
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson is clearly the better striker technical wise but that would mean nothing if they fought.

LMAO. Makes perfect sense. Jones would end up like James Irvin trying to pull most of the shit against Anderson that he did against Rampage. Grated Jones does have reach on Anderson but he's way too smart a fighter to hang out in Jones's sweet spot. Rampage not so much.

And you don't think Anderson's BJJ is better? Again, granted Jones does have a solid top game given his wrestling background, but overall Anderson's MMA proven blackbelt > whatever belt Jones is.
9/27/11 3:03 PM
A.Muradyan
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CalicoInsurance.com
AceAtGSU - Everyone is saying Anderson shouldn't fight Bones because he is a weight class up, but no one says that shit when GSP gets pushed to fight Anderson. My take on it is if you don't wanna fight someone a weight class up fine, if they wanna make your weight and they want the fight then they will. It should fall on whoever is asking for the fight really.

I haven't heard Anderson or his coaches ask for that fight. it's always the fans and UFC.
9/27/11 3:03 PM
Freeman Dyson

Edited: 09/27/11 3:03 PM
Body Shots -  I did not read that FRAT but Andy would murder Jones Phone Post

Ya, a guy who was helpless against Chael Sonnen for 5 rounds will really give Jones trouble.  And Sonnen is harmless from top, and is never in danger of finishing,  Jones would pound him out quick.  Sonnen also outstruck Silva.  Jones is better than Sonnen at absolutely everything.  

And Anderson already bitched out of this fight and said he wouldn't fight Jones because they are "friends".  Bullshit.
9/27/11 3:06 PM
morse
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Body Shots -  I did not read that FRAT but Andy would murder Jones Phone Post
Andy did get ragdolled for 4.5 rounds with Sonnen and he would kill Jones? Uhm ok.

9/27/11 3:07 PM
caliphornia

Lol@ Jon outstriking Anderson by "so many different angles"

What different angles? Jons striking is average at best, no KO power and is actually pretty sloppy and amateur. His reach is what keeps people at bay. Anderson would EASILY slip inside and killshot jones in the first round. Lol@ this coach hype Phone Post
9/27/11 3:11 PM
Freeman Dyson

caliphornia -  Lol@ Jon outstriking Anderson by "so many different angles"

What different angles? Jons striking is average at best, no KO power and is actually pretty sloppy and amateur. His reach is what keeps people at bay. Anderson would EASILY slip inside and killshot jones in the first round. Lol@ this coach hype Phone Post

Anderson couldn't even outstrike Sonnen, much less come close to KOing him in the first round.   How is he going to knock out a better wrestler, with better striking, with a huge reach, who is faster than Sonnen?  It aint happening.  Anderson, like anyone with half a brain, knows exactly how this fight would play out, which is why he is avoiding it.
9/27/11 3:13 PM
guardbr8kr

"Silva doesn't want that fight"
9/27/11 3:15 PM
acid jazz
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bones would win most likely. Silva would have to pull off a quick Seagal front kick to have any chance of winning.
9/27/11 3:17 PM
Freeman Dyson

"No chance. He's in a different weight class, we are friends and we won't fight each other."

-Anderson on fighting Jones. 
9/27/11 3:21 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Two mega-fights interest me right now:

Silva-GSP

Silva-Jones

That's it. Everything else is just okay for me.
9/27/11 3:23 PM
acid jazz
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kcbjj - Two mega-fights interest me right now:

Silva-GSP

Silva-Jones

That's it. Everything else is just okay for me.

Silva would beat GSP and Bones would beat Silva, most likely.
9/27/11 3:25 PM
Calhoon

Edited: 09/27/11 3:31 PM
Silva seems to be ducking a lot of people in an organization where the best fight the best 3 times a year.

As long as he sticks with the Okami's of mma he has a chance to remain undefeated in the ufc, unless he get's dominated again by someone who was suppose to be a safe fight like Takase.

As of now even if he retired he would not have my respect as the GOAT do to ducking so much on top of the fact that he was on an incredibly lucky run in the ufc, even though 90% of his fights in the ufc were against pretty weak competition in the overall scheme of things, and his unwillingness to fight Henderson again proves to me that he knows he has been lucky in some of his fights.
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

lol at Doug Flutie ever leaving the CFL to go play the 85 Chicago Bears,will never happen
mugatu
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty unrealistic to expect Anderson to fight Jones, huge size difference.  Same situation as GSP vs Anderson
9/27/11 3:29 PM
Dingleberry Flopdoink The 3rd
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winkle was respectful for the most part in this interview, some of you dopes need to actually read it instead of trusting what UG News. Phone Post
9/27/11 3:32 PM
aatard
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's silly to think that Jones is on the same level as Andreson striking. Regardless of the reach advantage, Anderson is far more skilled and would win if the figh stayed standing up. Jones wins this fight, however, due to his wrestling, plain and simple. Very bad matchup for Anderson. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.