UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> Potential Bronco HOF'ers

9/29/11 7:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tebowkakke
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This year we have Steve Atwater, Rod Smith, TD, and Randy Gradishar on the list. How Gradishar isn't in already is beyond me. The guy was one of the best LBs to ever play. His stats are right on par with anyone from the Steelers at that time.

Atwater should also get in as his numbers are right there with Ronnie Lott.

TD, being a league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and 2000 yard rusher should get in kind of in a Gayle Sayers situations.

Finally Rod Smith, one of the most consistent WRs in the game every year he played. Was a multiple time pro bowler, and did it all as an undrafted free agent.
9/29/11 5:36 PM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve Atwater was eligible last year and didn't make the list of 26 semi finalists. I love the guy but he is way down the list.

TD made the semi finalists but missed the cut to 15. Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis made the 15 and TD won't be jumping those guys on the list. The perception amongst HOF voters seems to be that TD didn't play long enough to warrant a spot.

Rod Smith will be joining the queue behind Tim Brown, Cris Carter and Andre Reed at WR. Not to mention the guys at other positions from last years top 15.

I think all three of these guys will never make the HOF. Excellent players, but there are plenty of those not in the hall.

(Randy Gradishar I never saw play, so no comment there)
9/30/11 2:53 AM
Tebowkakke
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Waylay,

All great points my friend. Check out Ronnie Lotts stats and compare them to Atwaters, you'll see Atwaters are just as good.

I get it with TD, however I think he did enough to get in with the 2k rushing year, SB MVP, NFL MVP, and just an overall great player. He deserves to be there.

Rod Smith was a better WR than Andre Reed. Rod Smith holds just about every Denver receiving record. He was known for being one of the hardest working guys in the NFL. I hope he gets on someday.

Check out Randy Gradishar man. I think you will be very impressed, and left shaking your head as to why we do not have more guys in the HOF.
9/30/11 6:44 PM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry 303, Atwater just does not stack up to Ronnie Lott. Lott made the pro bowl as a Cornerback and Safety. He had 63 ints to 24 for Atwater. Atwater was a tackling machine, but Lott was probably the hardest hitting DB I have ever seen, and . The thing that is overlooked all the time for the 49ers was how dominant their defense was. They were probably the best defense over the course of the 80's. They were ordinary before Lott showed up. He was their Montana on defense. I love Atwater. I think like many Broncos, he gets overshadowed by Elway, and his nuthuggers who think he won two SB's all on his own. I thought it ridiculous that he didn't at least make the top 26 last year, but the fact that he didn't, dooms him I think.

I agree that Rod Smith was a better WR than Andre Reed, and I think he was on a par with Tim Brown. All three are behind Cris Carter. I think Reed should not get into the hall. Considering that he was playing in an offense that was built on Jim Kelly and the passing game, his numbers are underwhelming. Kelly and Thurman Thomas made that offense go, replace Reed and I don't think they lose much. Unfortunately for Smith his career numbers simply aren't high enough. I think too much stock is put into career numbers, but they do count. 23rd in rec yard, 35 in rec td's. Also the time he was playing, Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Torry Holt were putting up better numbers, and even Jimmy Smith was putting up the same numbers. Smith misses out to Carter and Brown, and by the time his number might come up, his contemporaries will be going in ahead of him.

Terrell Davis should go the hall. He had three consecutive seasons with 13+ rushing touchdowns and 1500+ yard. Only three other players have achieved that three times, LaDainian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson and Edgerrin James. None of them did it in three consecutive years. Only 12 times in NFL history has a RB had 1700+ yards and 15+ seasons. He did it back to back.  He is the only player in NFL history to rush for over 2000 yards and get 21+ touchdowns in one season. Davis is definitely the one case where total career yards should be ignored. No back has had a 3 season span as dominant as he did. Unfortunately I have seen it written that his short career is being held against him. Which is ridiculous. I would take Davis over Curtis Martin or Jerome Bettis any day of the week.

I will have to see if I can find some Gradishar to watch online. I love linebacker play. LB is my favourite position. Which makes my life as an Eagle fan suck, especially this season.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.