UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> How can kickboxing become prominent again?

9/30/11 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AlphaMaleJP
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Use MMA as a marketing tool (I know this sounds silly, bare with me) but if K-1 and Its Showtime made it known to all mma fans that good stand up wars in mma are a dime a dozen in kickboxing then I think there would be a significant jump in cross over fans.

Any other suggestions UG? I will try to brainstorm and come up with some even better suggestions! Phone Post
9/30/11 10:18 AM
BshMstr
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't think it can in the US....

MT will prolly still remain popular in Asia/Europe, though. i think in the US it has more to do with youth sports....a lot more kids start in wrestling and boxing. those who start in boxing prolly stay with it, whereas those who wrestled transition to MMA...
9/30/11 1:44 PM
AlphaMaleJP
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BshMstr - i don't think it can in the US....

MT will prolly still remain popular in Asia/Europe, though. i think in the US it has more to do with youth sports....a lot more kids start in wrestling and boxing. those who start in boxing prolly stay with it, whereas those who wrestled transition to MMA...
Agree... This was just wishful thinking. I was thinking more along the lines of converting fans (not necessarily getting more kids and adults into kickboxing) because when it comes to sports wrestling and boxing do have a stronghold on American youths. Phone Post
10/1/11 1:38 PM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems as if kickboxing is starting to die a bit everywhere now...a lot of its biggest stars (Badr, Spong, Cosmo, Souwer, Alistair) have/or are looking to get out. Its unfortunate, although on some greedy level I enjoy it being a lesser known gem that I can hog for myself...
10/1/11 8:02 PM
AlphaMaleJP

DevinS - Seems as if kickboxing is starting to die a bit everywhere now...a lot of its biggest stars (Badr, Spong, Cosmo, Souwer, Alistair) have/or are looking to get out. Its unfortunate, although on some greedy level I enjoy it being a lesser known gem that I can hog for myself...
Completely agree on the gem part... One of the other problems has to do with FEG owned k-1, which owes so much money to so many fighters that their fighters would rather cross over to mma where they won't have to worry about checks being bounced and not getting paid. Phone Post
10/3/11 12:53 PM
The Sauce
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Kickboxing" I don't know but I think with organizations like the MPL and bringing some of the famous Thai fighters over (Buakaw, Saiyok, Saenchai, Yod, etc)I think Muay Thai is growing in North America! It is becoming more telivised and we are marketing some of our own well!

Plus I find the Muay Thai shows seem to be more about an evening out with dinner, dancers, servers and what not where I find most MMA shows (at least where I live) are about wearing your tight affliction shirt with tons of tattoos and puffing your chest staring people down.

North America really is about MMA right now though.

just my 2 cents
10/3/11 6:10 PM
erichaycraft
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muay Thai and kickboxing for most professionals have to be interchangeable. That said there are more international
Promotions than ever right now with It's Showtime, MPL, THAI FIGHT, Thailand vs Challengers, and host of US promotions popping up. Phone Post
10/3/11 10:31 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will never happen. Once MMA and Boxing finish dividing up the fans and available attention span there is nothing left for kickboxing.

Due to lack of money there are not enough good athletes and promoters to consistently put on quality shows. MMA pretty much robbed it of it's chance.
4/29/12 2:40 AM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was an Asst State director of kickboxing years ago. Since MMA is so hot, kickboxing went to the wayside for a while. But with many states over-regulating MMA, and NOT kickboxing, maybe kickboxing at ammy level with heat up again.
5/3/12 10:44 PM
x FOX x
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Push Dutch style shows in the US Phone Post
5/7/12 3:15 AM
jhendo79
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Full rules without the elbow pads.
5/9/12 3:40 AM
AlphaMaleJP

OneScoup - Will never happen. Once MMA and Boxing finish dividing up the fans and available attention span there is nothing left for kickboxing.

Due to lack of money there are not enough good athletes and promoters to consistently put on quality shows. MMA pretty much robbed it of it's chance.
Sad but true... It's a damn shame. Phone Post
5/15/12 9:33 AM
Outkaster
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take the MMA angle out of it completely. Are we just talking MT? There are other kicking arts.
9/12/12 11:33 AM
savage043
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either kickboxers with great personalitys have great success in mma then cross promote in kb'ing or mma fighters kinda like diaz taking a boxing fight or jds and silva talking about that would draw true mma fans to the sport to watch just those fighters win or lose and start a ufc like countdown show to promote other fighters personalitys. Then go on from there and hope for the best. Will this happen or will kb'ing ever come back highly unlikely but a man can dream. Phone Post
9/14/12 3:49 PM
sly fox
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it needs someone willing to put the cash into it, and tv time... i think spike should be putting the k1 cards on spike in 2012,...rather than start in 2013
10/18/12 4:18 PM
jcblass
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never really enjoyed watching Muay Thai matches as much as the old PKA matches or even the K-1 events.

I miss the old Alexio and Roufus days as well as the high end K-1 matches with Hug etc.
10/18/12 4:18 PM
jcblass
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never really enjoyed watching Muay Thai matches as much as the old PKA matches or even the K-1 events.

I miss the old Alexio and Roufus days as well as the high end K-1 matches with Hug etc.
12/9/12 9:33 AM
FistofLegends

Honestly? There needs to be some really big movie support for K-1. There thing about MMA in that respect is that theres a lot of groundbattles involved, which simply does not make good mainstream viewing (its not as flashy as a chef doing flying roundhouse for example), and those things for better or for worse, sell tickets.

The other route is to play on the strengths of kickboxing, such as full on elbows (too dangerous) and reward for more flashy moves (not practical).

I'd also say that somehow swapping boxing glovers over to MMA gloves would make kickboxing seem a bit cooler and perceived to be more assessable to the mainstream audience,.
12/9/12 9:35 AM
FistofLegends

Theres also too much stop and start action with kickboxing matches.

MMA is really popular right now because its seem as non-stop and "realistic" action. Its far easier for your average Joe to fancy himself as an MMA fighter on the streets than a kickboxer in his gear.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.