UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Any tips on bending? Plz!

10/2/11 9:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMA Translations
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been playing guitar in a part-time-ish fashion for 10 years now, and just now I've started to learn string bending!

My fingers are bleeding, I can only practice 3x/week, and I'm finally learning how to change my light touch into a neck-gripping nastiness...

I find I can basically only consistently bend whole tones by using all three fingers (ring to index), but using just middle+index is more accurate. What should I do?

One song calls for bending up 1+1/2 tones on the 21st fret of high E. it is literally impossible for me. Why?

How do I silence the 2 or even 4 other strings that I'm bending the string into? I usually create a cacophony if I don't pre-bend.

Are certain strings (brands/diameters) easier to bend?

Will the bleeding stop? Do I need more finger exercises to develop core strength?

Do people bend the strings both up and down depending? Can just the index finger along be consistently used in bending?

Any practice tips or techniques?

10/3/11 9:42 PM
MMA Translations
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i mean when i bend a wholetone up on, say, the high E string, I'm bending the string up into the B and G strings which causes them to sound. 

if  i try to bend 1+1/2 tones on the high E string, I  feel like I'm going to have to somehow mute the 4 strings above it. but if I'm using all my fingers to get the strength to bend that much, how do I silence those bastards?

10/15/11 6:26 PM
goodandevil
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm curious as to why they are sounding, when you bend you should be muting those strings with the your fingers as you bend the string.
10/16/11 4:04 PM
Ryan Wood
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it possible for you to upload a little clip of you bending some notes? That would probably make it easier to help you out.
10/19/11 10:56 PM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have to mute those other strings with the palm of your right picking hand. Also sometimes if I'm bending a note up on the B string I touch the high E string with my right ring finger to silence it to keep the open high E string from accidentaly ringing.

Best advice I heard about bending guitar strings was from Eddie Van Halen, "don't overshoot the bend"

Basically it is fine to be slightly flat, but if you bend too far sharp, it is going to be horrible.

Easy to say...hard to do.
10/19/11 11:44 PM
MMA Translations

ah, picking hand. i guess that makes rakes to bends pretty natural.

ive got some new skin on my ring finger finally. lots of practice this weekend.

thanks guys. ill see if i can get any video. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.