UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Dark Souls

11/2/12 9:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cleophus
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinking of starting a new character. What weapon should I use?
11/2/12 10:29 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cleophus - Pretty sure that the talisman you use has more affect on the power of your spells.

Yup the Grant has A scaling on faith. Also it looks like if you do go to 40 faith it will make the attack stronger but you only need 30 to wield it.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Grant

Did you go to 50 strength just to one hand the Grant? If so I think that was a waste of levels, but I prefer to two hand weapons and use those extra levels for something.

I will 2 hand against certain enemies, but I parry too much to forego a shield ENTIRELY.  There were a few giant weapons that required 50 strength so I went there. Now that I have a few characters under my belt, I put NO points into VIT at all. If I'm getting hit, I'm doing something wrong. This frees up a lot of points for fun stuff.

11/2/12 11:10 PM
cleophus
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No points into Vit, you are a better man than I am. Do you do any pvp? Cause getting one shot ko due to lag would cause me to break shit
11/2/12 11:35 PM
Rasta4i
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cleophus - Thinking of starting a new character. What weapon should I use?
Your fists Phone Post
11/2/12 11:42 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cleophus - No points into Vit, you are a better man than I am. Do you do any pvp? Cause getting one shot ko due to lag would cause me to break shit

one shotted? Rarely. Most of my builds armor up, ring of FAP, and that buys me at least two hits... pumping up VIT may buy you one more, maybe two more swings. Not worth the trouble.

I'd say I give as good as I get in PvP... but I tend to avoid the craziness that is Dickstab Forest.

11/2/12 11:48 PM
cleophus

Never tried to use just fists.

@Charles

I guess I'm just not really good at pvp, but I can tell we have different play styles. I usually roll pretty light no poise and I like to use the DWGR when possible. Also I kinda enjoy the Forest except for the gankers.
11/2/12 11:59 PM
CharlesLewis

I have yet to grab a flippy ring... been meaning to. I have one light armor character, a sorceror. I use spears and shields and avoid going toe to toe if at all possible... but I don't have the dark Sorceries yet so that's not a build I do much PvP with. With most of my guys it's heavy armor, mid rolling, high poise. Eat the first hit and either parry the second or wade in and stunlock. I rely heavily on dirty tricks too, invading Sen's is my favorite... get a LOT of hate mail there. Kicking people off walkways, using Chameleon to sneak up on them... etc

11/3/12 12:08 AM
cleophus

I try to do the heavy armor mid roll thing but I never make it past Sen's. I like to duel and am pretty honorable when it comes to invading. If the host is already fighting another phantom I'll wait, but if I see that the host is a cheater or is healing then I'll usually bs tha fucker
11/3/12 12:08 AM
Rasta4i

cleophus - Never tried to use just fists.

@Charles

I guess I'm just not really good at pvp, but I can tell we have different play styles. I usually roll pretty light no poise and I like to use the DWGR when possible. Also I kinda enjoy the Forest except for the gankers.
Lol I was joking. It would be a challenge though haha Phone Post
11/3/12 12:10 AM
cleophus

Edited: 11/03/12 12:09 AM
Hey Charles did you post you question on Gamefaqs? Thought I saw the same question there earlier but didn't see if it got any replies.
11/3/12 12:11 AM
CharlesLewis

I did, on ps3. They responded.

11/3/12 12:12 AM
cleophus

Rasta4i - 
cleophus - Never tried to use just fists.

@Charles

Lol I was joking. It would be a challenge though haha Phone Post

Def a challenge but I was thinking of using Caestus and maybe claws. Hmmm...maybe Dragon bone fist
11/3/12 9:54 AM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CharlesLewis - 

I have yet to grab a flippy ring... been meaning to. I have one light armor character, a sorceror. I use spears and shields and avoid going toe to toe if at all possible... but I don't have the dark Sorceries yet so that's not a build I do much PvP with. With most of my guys it's heavy armor, mid rolling, high poise. Eat the first hit and either parry the second or wade in and stunlock. I rely heavily on dirty tricks too, invading Sen's is my favorite... get a LOT of hate mail there. Kicking people off walkways, using Chameleon to sneak up on them... etc

Back when the game was first released, Chameleon was a fucking BARREL of laughs :-)

Here's a dude who made an art form of it - got his HP low so he could use the ring that amps damage, then equipped the Avelyn crossbow (+15, I think) with lightning bolts and would stealth after invading, wait for someone to pass, then shoot them in the back for 1000 damage :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBfluvtEdKo
11/3/12 4:31 PM
CharlesLewis

I saw that... him and the guy who drops items on the cliff in the forest then pops guys off the edge with the dragon bow... those guys are my inspiration.

11/3/12 6:40 PM
HallmansHammock

CharlesLewis -

I saw that... him and the guy who drops items on the cliff in the forest then pops guys off the edge with the dragon bow... those guys are my inspiration.

That's actually happened to me... Phone Post
11/3/12 6:48 PM
cleophus

I had a guy get me with chameleon in the forest once. He was a tree right by my spawn point as soon a I moved crystal soulmass.
Others have tried to do the drop an item and hide but I doubt anyone falls for that anymore.
11/3/12 8:46 PM
CharlesLewis

I have guys run right past me all the time in Sens... just pick a well lit pile of statues (the 1 by the left of the 2nd arrow trap works well) and let them slip by. Then while they are waiting on a boulder to pass...KICK. Lulzy

11/3/12 9:17 PM
Rasta4i

Me and buddy use to do this at the Kiln. Instead of Chameleon I would kill the first black knight on the way to Gwyn and then put on the Black knight armor. My friend would jump up onto the tree or whatever it is and use chameleon.

It's funny because the players would run right by me, even though I'm ALOT smaller than a black knight. We would just message those who invade and fuck with them. Good fun lol Phone Post
11/4/12 3:29 AM
CharlesLewis

The Manticore at the beginning ofthe DLC may just be my favorite single boss/enemy from any game... he's just gorgeous. It's almost distracting. Not too tough, got him in about 6 tries, without looking up tactics or watching youtube vids. Now the Royal Forest is turning out to be kind of a pain in the ass...

11/5/12 5:56 AM
DMC
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CharlesLewis - 

I asked this on /vg/ but no one is answering, so I will try here: With 50 STR and 32 Faith, and possessing both a +15 MSGS and the Grant, is there any point to making a divine weapon? Occult? Are they really good ONLY for characters with NO other stat but Faith to scale on?

About to level Faith up to 40 or 50, will there be any benefit to a Divine weapon or will that MSGS always out damage it?

I dont want to waste all the time and energy leveling a weapon only to find it lacking.

Faith weapons as you know scale with Faith so at 32 you're not going to be getting the most damage possible. With 40 you're close to the max and you should never go over 50 because of diminshing returns after 40.

Faith based damage is magic damage so that's a bonus against certain types of builds i.e. those with high physical resistance and low magic.

But weapons that scale well ('A' or 'S' rating) with STR or DEX will outdamage anything else given when buffed with a spell/miracle.

That's what makes 15+ weapons buffed the most damaging weapons in the game when you have the stats to take advantage of the high scaling.

If you upgrade a STR based weapon with high scaling to +15 and buff it with the Dark Moon Blade miracle you will do the most damage possible. The Grant can't be buffed. Cool weapon and it does scale with STR and FTH but I doubt it will outdamage say a buffed +15 Large or Great Club.

Build a STR based weapon to +15, get a buff for it and use a Faith based weapon as your back-up weapon if you're going to put more levels into Faith.
11/5/12 9:42 AM
HallmansHammock

I started a new character a couple of days ago, int build. Going for all the sorceries etc but want a good weapon for up close and personal. Will the moonlight butterfly horn be a good bet since I'm aiming to get my int up to about 44? Phone Post
11/5/12 2:00 PM
Rasta4i

HallmansHammock - I started a new character a couple of days ago, int build. Going for all the sorceries etc but want a good weapon for up close and personal. Will the moonlight butterfly horn be a good bet since I'm aiming to get my int up to about 44? Phone Post
That or Moonlight Great-sword Phone Post
11/5/12 5:22 PM
CharlesLewis

DMC - 
CharlesLewis - 

I asked this on /vg/ but no one is answering, so I will try here: With 50 STR and 32 Faith, and possessing both a +15 MSGS and the Grant, is there any point to making a divine weapon? Occult? Are they really good ONLY for characters with NO other stat but Faith to scale on?

About to level Faith up to 40 or 50, will there be any benefit to a Divine weapon or will that MSGS always out damage it?

I dont want to waste all the time and energy leveling a weapon only to find it lacking.

Faith weapons as you know scale with Faith so at 32 you're not going to be getting the most damage possible. With 40 you're close to the max and you should never go over 50 because of diminshing returns after 40.

Faith based damage is magic damage so that's a bonus against certain types of builds i.e. those with high physical resistance and low magic.

But weapons that scale well ('A' or 'S' rating) with STR or DEX will outdamage anything else given when buffed with a spell/miracle.

That's what makes 15+ weapons buffed the most damaging weapons in the game when you have the stats to take advantage of the high scaling.

If you upgrade a STR based weapon with high scaling to +15 and buff it with the Dark Moon Blade miracle you will do the most damage possible. The Grant can't be buffed. Cool weapon and it does scale with STR and FTH but I doubt it will outdamage say a buffed +15 Large or Great Club.

Build a STR based weapon to +15, get a buff for it and use a Faith based weapon as your back-up weapon if you're going to put more levels into Faith.

That's what I did. MSGS and Darkmoon miracle outclasses everything so far, which is a shame because the Grant is just so much fun in PvE. I can't land it for shit in PvP... but I'm new to giant weapons and have yet to learn the tricks... if guys can land Smough's hammer in PvP I'm sure I can learn grant...

I'm going to try and kill Kalameet tonight with Havel's Greatshield and Grant. Should be fun.

I absolutely love Darkmooning in the Royal Wood... chilling on the high cliffs, tracking my prey with binoculars, catching them fighting a Stone Guardian or walking through the irregular cliffs. Too much fun. Went 45 minutes last night with a guy in Ciaran's with a fog ring... stalking him, occasionally ducking arrows and trying to find him. Ended up cornering him on a cliff and battering him into the river.

If you get invaded by a guy With Tarkus' head and body and Guardian limbs with a MSGS, that's me...

11/6/12 5:46 AM
DMC
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

45 min? lol That's some serious stalking there. Sounds fun though.

The Grant in Demon Souls could be buffed, it's a pity you can't buff the one in Dark Souls.

I think those giant weapons depend on their move sets. Some like the Great Club and Smough's Hammer have some moves that aren't completely slow and telegraphed so can be used in PvP. Not sure about the Grant.
11/6/12 9:27 AM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a guy on Youtube who uses the "heavy" attack of the giant weapons by baiting guys - he lets them get a hit or two on him while he's using a katana or some such, dropping his HP (and hopefully to a level where the Red Tearstone Ring begins to function), and as he's running away and they're chasing, he switches weapons and begins the heavy swing *while still facing away from them,* then reverses about halfway through the swing and the guy runs right into it.

Boom - anywhere from 800-1600 damage in one shot :-O Very often an instant kill.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.