UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Dark Souls

2/13/13 8:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also wanted to know everyone's opinion on three differ swords I've made recently and not sure which to build up next:

The Chaos Blade (katana)
Lord of Cinder's sword (forgot real name)
Artorias Greatsword

Thanks again! Phone Post
2/13/13 11:07 PM
raoulDuke

chaos blade - people say its great, i found it abominable. for everything. but people swear by it, even though it saps hp as you swing.

great lord greatsword - honestly have never gotten around to this making one, but it looks awesome and stunlocks like a champ. have lost to them quite a few times in pvp

artorias greatsword - have heard this becomes best weapon in the game if you keep leveling past 200 and get all your stats up

2/13/13 11:37 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite greatsword is actually the plain old greatsword. My Str build KILLS with it. It seems like MSGS would be better and on paper it is, but in reality, a 2 hand regular greatsword owns.

2/14/13 12:27 AM
raoulDuke

^me too!! been 2handing the regular greatsword for the last month or two....had no idea what i was missing out on...the r2 is fuckin devastating lol
2/14/13 8:05 AM
DMC
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TruthAboveAll - 
DMC - No you get the key to the seal but still can't get in to fight the 4 kings until you place The Lord Vessel. You can't fight any of the four main bosses before placing the LV as a yellow fog blocks off their area.

It's supposed to ensure dark wraiths are players of at least a certain std but tbh being able to summon 2 phantoms really means even terrible players can do it fairl easily. Phone Post
This is incorrect. You don't need lordvessel to fight 4 kings. Just kill sif and ingward and you're good to go. Phone Post

Ok my bad, was sure I tried that at one time (ages ago) and was blocked by the yellow fog.
2/14/13 8:30 AM
DMC
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  Also wanted to know everyone's opinion on three differ swords I've made recently and not sure which to build up next:

The Chaos Blade (katana)
Lord of Cinder's sword (forgot real name)
Artorias Greatsword

Thanks again! Phone Post

If you played around much with Uchis and like them the Chaos Blade is very good.

You can obtain it pretty early on and so long as you have the DEX for it (STR is less important as you will be two-handing mostly) and some humanity it will do impressive damage.

The drawbacks with Uchis IMO are:

1)in PvP people have realised they are quite easy to parry when their opponent attacks with a combination i.e. you can just tank the first swing and AS IT LANDS press the parry button - the second swing will almost certainly be parried. (You can use this to your advantage however by using single swing attacks and punishing their attempts to parry your 'second swing'. This works very well - I've won 3 or 4 fights doing this and I'm not even 'good' at PvP, just average)

2) in PvE I find that unless you've high poise and a load of VIT you often NEED a shield especially in NG+ and higher. I don't think Uchis are much good as a one-handed weapon. I could be wrong but well...it just looks/feels wrong to me lol
2/14/13 11:42 AM
raoulDuke

used to run iaito +15 on my dex build. buffed with cmw it was ridiculous, even 1h...plus the r2 is 1000x better, EVERYONE gets caught by the dead angle. fuck i need to get that thing again. such a dope weapon.
2/14/13 11:54 AM
DMC

Yeah +15 buffed is always best. DMB is even more potent than CMW apparently (I've never used it myself).

Only problem with buffs is they don't last that long and you won't get to recast unless you run away or something lol. That's why some prefer the chaos blade because it will outdamage any other unbuffed uchi weapon.

I only duel in the Burg and the area is small there. Maybe you can make space to recast buffs in bigger areas, I dunno.
2/14/13 2:51 PM
raoulDuke

fuck.....shouldve gone with faith instead of int.....seems like i get worked by dmb and sunlight blade way more than cmw..and its hard to combat WOG spam in the burg for me, i dont have a shield...i love the kiln cause of dem pillars!! but burg will always be the best dueling spot. in both games lol.

i rock the greatsword +15 and usually dont need to recast...by the time the buff runs out, the damage is usually done, and it works to my advantage a lot RE: people seem to get extremely cocky + aggressive once the buff is gone, and it really opens them up.
2/15/13 12:06 AM

The Four Kings are gay. That is all. Phone Post
2/15/13 5:25 AM
DMC

Haha. They are very hard on your own. And unlike most bosses they get much harder in subsequent playthroughs.

I actually killed them first time on my first playthrough but I had read beforehand that poise and pyro work wonders...I was lucky too. Sometimes they fight differently. Weird boss.

Apparently you can summon the npc witch but I don't know where her sign is despite numerous playthroughs. Phone Post
2/15/13 8:10 AM
Don_Dada
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DMC - Haha. They are very hard on your own. And unlike most bosses they get much harder in subsequent playthroughs.

I actually killed them first time on my first playthrough but I had read beforehand that poise and pyro work wonders...I was lucky too. Sometimes they fight differently. Weird boss.

Apparently you can summon the npc witch but I don't know where her sign is despite numerous playthroughs. Phone Post
Just before you enter the white fog to fight the kings there is a piller to the right and her sign is tucked round the side of it. Phone Post
2/15/13 8:19 AM
DMC

Ah okay, thanks for that :)

I usually just sprint to the fog gate without fighting anything so never really had the balls to hang around and search for it.

I hate New Londo lol
2/15/13 10:18 AM
raoulDuke

save corrupted after i rage quit again. easily the 10th time this has happened. does this mean i will give up on pwning n00bz? NEVER
2/15/13 2:30 PM

Lol yeah the Four Kings are close to causing me to step away from this game for awhile; ridiculously easy the first time, impossibly scando the second time. Phone Post
2/15/13 3:28 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beatrice is all but useless in that fight. first off there is a ghost just inside the fog door and straight above, and if you don't kill it, she won't even drop down to fight the Kings. Then if you DO get her involved, they are almost immune to her soul arrows, and their health bar increases, which in a DPS race is NOT what you want. She's great for the Butterfly fight, but not for 4K.

The worst way to fight the Kings is with a pure Sorcery character, it's almost impossible. Easiest way is a Strength and poise build, you can 2 hand a weapon, flask maybe twice and you're good. The right armors help, too. Havels, Giant's... something with high regular AND magic defense.

Oh and if you're a Cleric, Great Magic Barrier nerfs the Kings so badly it's a breeze. That spell is a pain to get, all the way at the bottom of Great Hollow, but soooooo worth it.

2/15/13 4:02 PM

I'm strength build; gna try going in with Havel's armor and probably cast ironflesh. Using grass crest shield and the furysword.

My biggest problem in this fight seems to be getting away from their attacks; they always seem to connect and either hurt me or take a lotta stamina. So weird just because this fight was VERY easy for me the first time thru, I'll get there eventually though! Phone Post
2/15/13 4:03 PM

As always thanks for the advice and motivation fellas! Phone Post
2/15/13 8:56 PM

Lol I'm quickly learning that I ce you bring magic into this game it can really eat dick. Phone Post
2/15/13 10:07 PM
CharlesLewis

Lock on and circle to your left... that avoids much of their swinging...

2/15/13 10:29 PM
DMC

CharlesLewis -

Beatrice is all but useless in that fight. first off there is a ghost just inside the fog door and straight above, and if you don't kill it, she won't even drop down to fight the Kings. Then if you DO get her involved, they are almost immune to her soul arrows, and their health bar increases, which in a DPS race is NOT what you want. She's great for the Butterfly fight, but not for 4K.

The worst way to fight the Kings is with a pure Sorcery character, it's almost impossible. Easiest way is a Strength and poise build, you can 2 hand a weapon, flask maybe twice and you're good. The right armors help, too. Havels, Giant's... something with high regular AND magic defense.

Oh and if you're a Cleric, Great Magic Barrier nerfs the Kings so badly it's a breeze. That spell is a pain to get, all the way at the bottom of Great Hollow, but soooooo worth it.

Take your word for it re Beatrice (never used her) but I'm on NG3 with pure Mage and you can still beat them. Tin dark moon catalyst plus dusk ring (to keep your cast numbers at std) and 70 vit (for 35 with tdc). Not gonna lie - did have to summon this time but on NG3 almost everyone has to regardless of build.

Think its only viable if you put your VIT stupidly high to counteract TDC and use the other magic boosting gear with it.

Just sayin it's possible, not ideal.

(Also used this build for pvp this eve in the Burg and won 75 per cent of the time without casting a spell but that's another story...) Phone Post
2/15/13 10:33 PM
DMC

Sorry - high vit is to counteract dusk ring (halves vit) which is to counteract TDC (halves castings).

And using Dark Magic too. Not sure if it was possible before DLC. Phone Post
2/15/13 10:54 PM
DMC

raoulDuke - save corrupted after i rage quit again. easily the 10th time this has happened. does this mean i will give up on pwning n00bz? NEVER
Ouch.

Does that mean all your saves are gone? Or just the one you were using when you rage quit? Never risked it myself.

I'm well used to getting owned anyway. Just hate it when it's gankers in a pvp area or invaders with max gear at the start. I can hold my own but I was once killed in the burg by a one handed R1 swing through my shield lol. Phone Post
2/16/13 7:12 PM
raoulDuke

yep had to erase all the game data. pain in the cock but i was meaning to roll a new character anyway. havent put anything into faith or int yet....thinking i might go with moonbros/darkmoon blade this time around
2/17/13 9:33 AM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Started a new game, going to run it no shield, I'm going to die TONS.

However i have killed Havel, the gargoyles, hydra, and 1 Black night so far.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.