UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Terry Pratchett

10/6/11 6:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Darth_Vladar
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whilst digging through my very old collection of books, I came across the first 8 Discworld series of books by Terry that I had been reading when I was a lot younger. Forgot I actually had them!

Basically I picked one up and had a flick through, and was like 'wow these books are actually a lot more enjoyable than I remember!'

Suffice to say out of pure reading boredom and no desire for anything else, I have been going through them again and have doubled the number and still going strong.

What are the general opinions on this fine fellow? Am I just a raging homosexual without realising? Surely not!

Personally I think they are excellent, the world building of it and the character developments through the books are great. All of them are good fun to read as they are obviously not to be taken as a deadly serious book. I love them, but you either love them or hate them.

Thoughts?
10/6/11 11:48 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pratchett is fantastic. I've bought every Discworld book, other than the YA ones, and while not every book is a work of genius, none fails to entertain. New one comes out fairly soon I think.

Very sad that he is ill, hope he writes a couple more before it is too late.
10/7/11 10:15 PM
croaker
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prachett is awesome. Plenty worth it
10/8/11 9:05 AM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favourite series.

1) Watch series

2) Witch series

3) Death series

in order of excellence.

His last couple of books have been complete nonsensical rubbish though... likely due to his worsening mental condition sadly.
10/12/11 3:38 AM
Darth_Vladar
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely the Watch series is going head to head with the Wizard series for me. Death is for sure right behind them both, brilliant stuff they are!

The Witches are excellent, but they just don't make me 'want' to start on them like the others do. Maybe I am just an idiot.
10/12/11 4:49 AM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you got up to ""Night Watch"? Probably my favourite of Pratchett's entire body of work.

Are you reading them in order? They build very nicely on each other, especially the Watch series.

Also don't dismiss the Tifanny Aching books which are aimed at a younger audience; their just as good as the mainline series.
10/12/11 5:47 AM
Darth_Vladar

Edited: 10/12/11 5:52 AM
I am currently going through 'Interesting Times', about 100 pages in and it is a good little book.

Its a shame as I didn't carry on reading them to be honest as coming from 'Guards Guards' it has come flooding back to me how good they are!!

I am assuming you mean the likes of Carrot and Vimes etc, if so they are definitely the most enjoyable ones. Its a tough choice for me between the ones with Rincewind he does have some good story lines I think.

Edit: I am going through them from book 1 through numerically. Rather than going through the individual stories in order like some people do. Personally I quite like the chop and change after each book, keeps it fresh for me lol. Also it is more fun to go back to the next steps after briefly diverting off!
10/12/11 11:50 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the guard series of books the most but I think my favorite book of his is Thief of Time. Deja Fu ftw.
2/18/12 6:50 AM
Einar
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Darth_Vladar - I am currently going through 'Interesting Times', about 100 pages in and it is a good little book.

Its a shame as I didn't carry on reading them to be honest as coming from 'Guards Guards' it has come flooding back to me how good they are!!

I am assuming you mean the likes of Carrot and Vimes etc, if so they are definitely the most enjoyable ones. Its a tough choice for me between the ones with Rincewind he does have some good story lines I think.

Edit: I am going through them from book 1 through numerically. Rather than going through the individual stories in order like some people do. Personally I quite like the chop and change after each book, keeps it fresh for me lol. Also it is more fun to go back to the next steps after briefly diverting off!

I love Discworld, and the Watch series is my favourite storyline. But Interesting Times is one of his best IMO. Cohen the Barbarian and the Silver Horde are just brilliant. The scene where the teacher is trying to get Truckle the Uncivil not to swear so much had me in tears laughing.

I think you're right about reading them in the order they were published. Like you said, it breaks things up and keeps it fresh, but you also follow along Pratchetts development as a writer, and the way he builds the world. IMO, he gets better and better, apart from the last couple of books, which I didnt enjoy as much.

For those that want to follow the different storylines though, here is a handy chart: http://www.shawndyelam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

Oh and dont forget reading Good Omens. His collaboration with Neil Gaiman. Its really fucking good, and will introduce you to Gaiman as well, which IMO is a good thing. Its not part of the Discworld series, but is set in modern england, and follows a demon and an angel who work together to try and stop heaven and hell from bringing about the end of the world.
3/23/12 9:59 PM
Machine250
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terry Pratchety on audiobook is pure win.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.