UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Son been training 3 years in Judo - wrestling ?

10/6/11 8:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Graduate1
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Note - I posted this also on the Judo forum

Both me and my son have been training in Judo for 3 years and he has started greco-roman wrestling at his highschool. He tells me he has very little issues with stand-up but is having a little difficulty on the ground with the wrestlers. My question to the board is what (based on your individual experiences) throws are best to counter a good wrestler and what he should be focusing on ground-wise to improve his ground game (he tells me he is not used to be spun on the ground and that their ground game is much quicker than Judo). Thanks ahead.
10/7/11 8:33 AM
ChipW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you sure its greco he is doing?  More than likely its folkstyle if its a school program, especially this time of year. 
10/8/11 1:24 PM
BshMstr
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm no wrestling expert, but i think working on scrambling drills might help him....drilling stuff like the sit-out, etc...
10/9/11 5:05 PM
SFC_Fighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he should be learning the basics of wrestling and just keep learning wrestling if he wants to get good at wrestling

if he just wants to do judo primarily and compete in wrestling sometimes, and he is doing greco roman, tell him to belly out and stall on the bottom. if he is doing folkstyle, tell him to learn how to standup and cutaway as fast as possible, if he just knows how to do that well he will be fine.
10/11/11 12:33 AM
Rafael135
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I practiced Judo for years when I lived in Brazil and once I moved to the United States I wrestled throughout middle and high school. 

I'm sure you're talking about folkstyle if it's high school wrestling.

He should focus wrestling from the referee's position. Pretty much the key is to never stop moving from bottom. 

Here are some basic techniques for defense from referee's position bottom: Avoid letting the opponent get wrist control. Never keep your head down, always up. Once broken down, do not try to build up your base by doing a 'push up' (that will get you chicken winged), instead try to build up your base by tucking your elbows to your sides and push backwards towards your knees to build up the base. Stay off the sides of your hips.

If your son wants to be a good wrestler then it will take commitment. For a good wrestler, wrestling is not just a winter sport, it is year long. Look around for the BEST schools in the area during the off season and find the BEST wrestlers in his weight class and usually they have camps and clubs throughout the off season. The off season is where a wrestler makes the most improvement.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.