UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pettis: UFC is about holding em down

10/9/11 1:00 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Former WEC Lightweight Champion Anthony Pettis entered the UFC famous for one the greatst Holy F------ S--- moments in mixed martial arts history, the Showtime Kick:

But when he debuted in the UFC at the TUF 13 Finale, Pettis found his flashy offense stuffed by the suffocating mat work of Clay Guida. Last night at UFC 136,  In an if you can't beat em join em moment, Pettis employed a similar, successful tactic against Jeremy Stephens.

Still, Pettis was not completely happy, as he relates on  UFC.com

"I'm happy that I got the victory but for me it was like a mental loss because I know I can perform much better than that. I really wanted to focus on my wrestling and my top game against Jeremy and show everyone that I am well-rounded, and that I do have wrestling. I think I did that, but I also think I could have done better.

"When you go to the UFC it's not all about 'showtime' kicking or knocking everybody out. Get people down, hold them down and you win fights."

Read entire article...
Watch entire video...

10/9/11 1:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ClinchedUp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hes 100% right. Phone Post
10/9/11 1:05 PM
ajsr
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact that he is completely correct is depressing.

The rules and scoring should provide incentive for boring fighters to be more exciting, not forcing exciting fighters to lay and pray.
10/9/11 1:09 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The funny thing about it is, in the WEC guys fought to the finish almost every fight because they were trying to get into the UFC (and its known Dana doesnt like to bring folks in who will stall a win) and they wanted to win impressively. Now that they are there, its almost a given that they will have to use or combat some stalling at some point to remain. Mind bottling.
10/9/11 1:13 PM
Hansumboy

This is exactly what I thought during that fight. Guida taught him that the road to success is being fucking boring so thats what he did last night. A real shame.
10/9/11 1:13 PM
ausgepicht

LOL...learn how to wrestle instead of having sour grapes.
10/9/11 1:14 PM
spg
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He 100% correct, unfortunately.
10/9/11 1:15 PM
NorthFromHere
311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it's UFC's fault that the judges give the decisions to whoever is on top...
10/9/11 1:15 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 10/09/11 1:15 PM
spg - He 100% correct, unfortunately.
Really? Name some fights for us. I'm curious as to what fights have only two people in the octagon, the refereee and one fighter.

10/9/11 1:16 PM
spg
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - LOL...learn how to wrestle instead of having sour grapes.

He did learn how to wrestle, did you watch the fight?
10/9/11 1:16 PM
LayNprayNINJA

LOL....clearly he DID learn how to wrestle.

You seem to missing the point completely.

The rules and scoring criteria have a HUGE bias towards wrestlers and top control. Shocking when you consider who helped write them all. Yes I am looking at YOU Jeff fucking Blatnick.
10/9/11 1:18 PM
ausgepicht

spg - 
I watched Stephens effortlessly get him to the ground about 6 times. I'm not talking about Pettis taking down someone, as that is not what Pettis is talking about. 
10/9/11 1:18 PM
LayNprayNINJA

NorthFromHere - Yeah it's UFC's fault that the judges give the decisions to whoever is on top...

They are the same pack of judges the UFC brings all over the world, they are scoring criteria that the UFC played a MAJOR part in emploring. Don't give me this Athletic Commission bullshit. Zuffa has leverage and pull with every AC, and could easily start being pro active in getting the scoring criteria and the rules changed so they don't favor the Wrastler so fucking much. Look at what it is causing. Exciting FIGHTERS being forced to tame their style and try and win on points. It is pathetic.
10/9/11 1:19 PM
MakeMeBleed
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whats even worse is people who think this manipulation of the rules is what MMA is supposed to be
MMALOGIC

The wec and shitarce operate under the same rules... it's just not as competitive.
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There were alot of wrestlers in the WEC, but almost all of them fought consistently to end fights. Most if not all fighters were trying to earn their way into the UFC, and I think it strikes Pettis odd, that once you are in the UFC, you have to learn to fight in ways that will "score points" from time to time instead of attempting to end fights consistently.

I think that was his complaint, not about the importance of wrestling in MMA.
10/9/11 1:20 PM
LayNprayNINJA

ausgepicht - 
spg - 
I watched Stephens effortlessly get him to the ground about 6 times. I'm not talking about Pettis taking down someone, as that is not what Pettis is talking about. 

Yes it is. He is talking about how he WON by not trying to finish in spectacular fashion like he used to, but rather focusing on getting Stevens down and controlling him from on top.
10/9/11 1:23 PM
caposa
1772 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad but true
10/9/11 1:25 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 10/09/11 1:25 PM
LayNprayNINJA - 
ausgepicht - 
spg - 

Yes it is. He is talking about how he WON by not trying to finish in spectacular fashion like he used to, but rather focusing on getting Stevens down and controlling him from on top.
No. Pettis is talking about a being taken down and then the top man doing next to nothing....kind of like what Aldo did with his takedowns last night for example.  

""When you go to the UFC it's not all about 'showtime' kicking or knocking everybody out. Get people down, hold them down and you win fights.""

Thread Title: Pettis: UFC is about holding em down  

10/9/11 1:27 PM
MickColins
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at a Strikeforce fight and a UFC fighter was chatting with people, taking pictures,etc.. and told me the same thing Pettis is saying. The UFC, because of the rule set, rewards college wrestlers and pillow-fisted strikers that hit and run.
10/9/11 1:29 PM
ausgepicht

MickColins - I was at a Strikeforce fight and a UFC fighter was chatting with people, taking pictures,etc.. and told me the same thing Pettis is saying. The UFC, because of the rule set, rewards college wrestlers and pillow-fisted strikers that hit and run.
For example? If it's so prevelant, you should be able to name a whole bunch of fights and fighters right off the top of your head. Go.

10/9/11 1:29 PM
Wasa-B
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MonsterBalls - <b>"When you go to the UFC it's not all about 'showtime' kicking or knocking everybody out. Get people down, hold them down and you win fights." </b>

Awesome comment and unfortunately it's totally true.

hate to tell you guys this but if you just realized that MMA involves grappling....
10/9/11 1:35 PM
ausgepicht

Wasa-B - 
MonsterBalls - <b>"When you go to the UFC it's not all about 'showtime' kicking or knocking everybody out. Get people down, hold them down and you win fights." </b>

Awesome comment and unfortunately it's totally true.

hate to tell you guys this but if you just realized that MMA involves grappling....
Bingo. Like I said, only people with poor wrestling.....and this is the case because they follow the religious cult of BJJ, will complain.

Also, you are an uneducated fan if you think there is only one fighter in the octagon and don't take the other fighter or his ability to stop the offense of the top man into account.

10/9/11 1:38 PM
K-Dub-"T"

He's correct, and luckily for him, he learned some wresling which is what won him this fight.
10/9/11 1:43 PM
MickColins
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"For example? If it's so prevelant, you should be able to name a whole bunch of fights and fighters right off the top of your head. Go."

Guida, Cruz, Johnson, Koschek,Maynard, Fitch,Bisping,etc... It has nothing to do with their skills,styles or whatwhat. In any sport, if the rules say X,Y,Z, the players will do what they can inside them to win. What Pettis and the dude I talked with were saying, imo, is that the rules reward what they consider controlling your opponent more than they reward aggression and risk-taking. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.