UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Sick Russian Judo documentary

10/9/11 5:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/E1GxitG8a_c

http://youtu.be/qBbcM8IgwN8

http://youtu.be/WaUZJP88BG4
10/10/11 1:50 AM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some nice old vids. I would like to train some Russian judo one day. Phone Post
10/11/11 7:09 PM
wayland

whoa, nice vids, but i did not thing communist countries could travel to Brazil to study ground fighting :0

i wonder where they got that from???

as usual, evidence of kodokan judo and it's incredible diversity..

nice stuff

wayland
10/12/11 7:51 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spartan 79- I train regularly with a Russian. And their judo is not "fun" judo. Their throws are mostly sacrifice throws and their defensive groundwork is immobolizing your legs with locks. You can't move because you are afriad of injurying your leg. Thier judo technique can be "crude" so to speak but they know how to fight and take you down.
10/12/11 1:23 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/14/11 5:28 PM
judoblackbelt, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one my friend.

In all my trips to Russian I have never seen a large amount of sacrifice techniques. Russian judo/Sambo is largely influence by Kurash and Chidaoba which don't use sacrifice techniques.

I would not classify their techniques as crude. It takes the same amount of skill( perhaps even more) to execute a Gadavlia as it does an uchimata.
I've seen the same Russian throw a Sambo type throw and throw a classical Japanese technique during the same randori.
10/12/11 4:46 PM
Spartan79

Spartan 79- I train regularly with a Russian. And their judo is not "fun" judo. Their throws are mostly sacrifice throws and their defensive groundwork is immobolizing your legs with locks. You can't move because you are afriad of injurying your leg. Thier judo technique can be "crude" so to speak but they know how to fight and take you down.

Leaning leg locks = fun
Mostly sacrifice throws? Maybe the one judoka u train with but that's not what I've seen on the net.
More variations on throws and arm locks . Still sounds good to me ;-) one day maybe, Phone Post
10/13/11 7:27 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dynamo, My experience has been based on watching in person A level event, Masters World championship. Tomenage, uki waza along with some classical judo throws. The guy who I trainied with is from the Moscow area and is always doing sacrifice throws and counter leg grabs. The crude remark is how their tecknique compares to say Japanese judo with all the ashiwaza and setups.
10/13/11 10:13 AM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

/\. Fair enough.
10/14/11 11:28 AM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBB,

I also disagree. Guys like Makarov say, they have flawless classic technique.

People need to quit talking about Russian Judo. There are so many different styles that the Russians employ: from more chidaoba based to pure classic Japanese judo, to more newaza oriented. Really really depends on the person.
10/15/11 7:23 AM
judoblackbelt

Makarov has excellent judo - uchimata. He is more classical in the sense. Just my general summary of what I have seen/experienced from Russian players over the years.
10/20/11 8:55 AM
panic686
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub to watch later
10/20/11 10:25 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dynamo - judoblackbelt, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one my friend.

In all my trips to Russian I have never seen a large amount of sacrifice techniques. Russian judo/Sambo is largely influence by Kurash and Chidaoba which don't use sacrifice techniques.

I would not classify their techniques as crude. It takes the same amount of skill( perhaps even more) to execute a Gadavlia as it does an uchimata.
I've seen the same Russian throw a Sambo type throw and throw a classical Japanese technique during the same randori.

What's a Gadavlia?
10/20/11 10:44 AM
dynamo

It's a Sambo throw, in judo circles it's commonly known as a Khabarelli.
10/20/11 11:28 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dynamo - It's a Sambo throw, in judo circles it's commonly known as a Khabarelli.

Gotcha.
10/22/11 9:33 AM
SamboMMA

ttt
4/3/12 8:16 PM
Baki

ttt for later
4/3/12 9:03 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea, JBB... you really need to get out more. you are way, way, way off...

ive had my hands on quite a few russians and former soviets.. and none of them, not a single one of them was anything like what you speak of.

i found them to be as varied and different in their personal judo styles as anybody else. if not even moreso. come to think of it, i found it very difficult to deal with russians because you literally had no idea what the individual preference was just based off the country. unlike the japanese who almost always go lapel and sleeve with lots of movement and ashiwaza, there was no way of knowing exactly where the russians were going to do until you were hands on with them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.