UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Marcelo Garcia defense to the knee slide

10/12/11 7:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've watched a good amount of the MGinaction clips that are available and some rolling reflections and I've noticed when guys sit with on leg up he does that front butterfly hook to the ankle and wraps his arm around the back of the leg. My problem is when he was describing it he said now here I'm getting under him... No real name to the position but I see all of his students doing it.

So my question is what is this guard called? Also is there any videos around that can give me some pointers from this position. If there are none I'd love to hear members opinions or description. I appreciate it ahead of time. Phone Post
10/12/11 12:05 PM
Tap21
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could you post a link to a pic of this?
10/12/11 12:27 PM
Rival School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgPlCPWgOg Phone Post
10/12/11 12:29 PM
Rival School

Happens multiple times in this roll. He tends to do it with his left left throwing a half butterfly into the opponents instep Phone Post
10/12/11 4:23 PM
GBEmilio

great observation. lagarto likes to play that one butterfly situp guard as well. you really have to keep your butterfly hook "live" though other wise they will shin slice right through it.
10/12/11 4:41 PM
Rival School

Ok I'll look him up also. As of now I understand what's going on kind of but can't really see where to go because I don't know any techniques from there Phone Post
10/12/11 4:50 PM
GBEmilio

Well in no-gi all the sweeps i know from that position Marcelo does in the video lol in gi however there are many sweeps you can do from that position. Phone Post
10/12/11 5:25 PM
Rival School

It's so fast that I can't break down the mechanics of the sweeps. I can't tell what the actual control is, where the hands go and where the other leg goes. I'm in this position to much to not try and adopt this Phone Post
10/13/11 1:18 AM
kying418
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/13/11 1:19 AM
I'm too lazy to go through the video- what minute/second are you talking about?

I know a lot of times with the knee slide pass, he will put his left shin in front, and then lift up the person's leg, to secure the 1 legged x-guard.

From that position he has a few sweeps, or can transition to x-guard.

Is that what you are talking about? 

If it is, you should sign up for the free 7 day trial of mginaction, as he has tons of videos on this position and the different sweeps and entries for it.
10/13/11 1:26 AM
GBEmilio

Agreed ^ Phone Post
10/13/11 3:15 PM
Rival School

Awesome thanks so much man. I took it to the gym and even not knowing how the mechanics worked I was under everyone and I can see how you could transition. I need to learn more about the one legged xguard for sure. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this I really appreciate it. Phone Post
10/13/11 3:32 PM
GBEmilio

Awesome. Glad to hear it man. It's a great game to play. Phone Post
10/14/11 5:31 PM
kying418
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rival School- You are killing me bro.

Just sign up for the free trial at mginaction.com, and all of your answers for that position will be answered.

It is pretty difficult to see exactly what he is doing just from watching his sparring videos.
10/14/11 7:31 PM
Rival School

Why am I killing you? I'm not refusing to sign up for the trial I just am now considering that's all. Phone Post
10/14/11 10:35 PM
kying418

Lol, I dont care if you sign up or not.

I'm just telling you that all of your answers will be found over there.

It'll be much easier than trying to get people to answer your questions on a msg board.
10/14/11 11:10 PM
Rival School

Eh agree and disagree. I think guys help out a lot when they can and I like the normal mans view on things at times. I'll try the trial when I have a open 30 days to really take advantage of it. Phone Post
10/19/11 6:28 AM
Rival School

I still can not find anything specific on this position. Even the transition I'm making to one legged x guard is me just making it up. I can not find a single video covering this move Phone Post
10/19/11 7:51 AM
GBEmilio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rux8Qf9eskE Phone Post
10/19/11 8:04 AM
Rival School

Thank you and I do mean that but the thing is I'm looking for the other set up he does when a guy has the knee up and he puts a butterfly hook into his instep and hugs around the back of the knee. Phone Post
10/19/11 9:15 AM
Shemhazai
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You just pull him on top of you with the arm hugging the knee, lift with the butterfly hook (preferably torquing his leg slightly outward, if I understand Marcelo's videos correctly), bring your other knee inside and kick the hooking leg through to put the foot on the hip. There's really not much to it.

Oh, and sign the hell up on MGinaction already.
10/19/11 9:24 AM
Rival School

Why sign up when I have you gentlemen. I'm signing up soon Phone Post
10/19/11 9:58 AM
Shemhazai
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/c0rWUd0fAQQ
10/19/11 10:19 AM
Rival School

^ You are the fucking man Phone Post
10/19/11 11:22 AM
Rival School

If you know of any other videos with this entry please let me know. I see sometimes he won't transfer. I don't know if it's because the guy is defending or if he is doing something else. Thanks for the collaboration so far I hope this helps more than just me. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.