UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Vinny Magalhaes defending title post ADCC gold

10/12/11 12:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

2011 has been a banner year for TUF 8 finalist Vinny Magalhaes.

He's registered four straight MMA wins by submission, capturing the M-1 Global light-heavyweight title, and recently won a gold medal at the Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) Submission Wrestling World Championships. The ADCCs acted as a weekend getaway as Magalhaes finished up his training camp for his first title defense.

Magalhaes is set to put his title on the line against Mikhail Zayats on this Friday in the co-headliner of "M-1 Challenge 27: Garner vs. Grishin." The event takes place at the Grand Canyon University Arena in Phoenix, Ariz. and airs live on Showtime.

"I didn't even make any specific training for Abu Dhabi," Magalhaes told MMAjunkie.com Radio.

"I have goals for my career, mostly from my MMA career, so I could not put Abu Dhabi as a next goal.I just kept training MMA. Some guys they bring like five or six black belts, and they do like six to eight weeks of camp, just of jiu-jitsu. I could not afford to do that."

"Nobody is going to remember that I did flying armbars in five years and didn't win the tournament. Everybody's going to remember that I won the tournament."

"This time I had the mindset where I didn't care if I won on points or by judges' decision, but I had to win."

"I saw (Zayats) fight a couple times. He's more of a ground guy too, but you never know with Sambo guys. They're more ground guys, but they like to strike. He's a Combat Sambo world champion so his style is similar to Fedor."

"Most of his fights end up on the ground, so I'm just hoping it ends up on the ground."

Read entire article...

10/12/11 1:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Skellington
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the BJJ stuff is great Vinny he needs more mma wins in order to get back to the show

best of luck
10/12/11 1:20 PM
Jsteven
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MonsterBalls - Keep rolling, Vinny!! Congrats on a great year!

10/12/11 1:20 PM
NorthFromHere
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zayats is a tough fight for Vinny. Vinny better bring A level cardio with him this time cause Zayats ain't going to fold easily.
10/12/11 1:26 PM
Sprawl 68
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go Vinny! Always a fan no matter what venue you compete in. Phone Post
10/12/11 2:50 PM
onyx2002
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Found this gem from Vinny on the M-1 site was gonna start my own thread but thought this was better:

How do you feel you match up against Zayats?

V.M. I feel like he does have the advantage in all areas. He’s a great striker, his jiu-jitsu is better than mine, he trains with a better team than I do, he has longer reach than I do, he’s bigger, faster, stronger, and has also fought much better competition than I have. So I don’t know how well I match up against him.

I'm thinking about going to the fight to cheer him on an other UG/OG/Atama folks going?
10/12/11 3:09 PM
Woodford Mike
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm honestly surprised he's not in the UFC now. I thought they were a little premature in cutting him the first time. Hopefully they offer him a contract in the near future. Phone Post
10/12/11 3:16 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woodford Mike -  I'm honestly surprised he's not in the UFC now. I thought they were a little premature in cutting him the first time. Hopefully they offer him a contract in the near future. Phone Post
Agreed, lost to Bader and then BARELY lost to Marshall(really, he beat Marshall...), and then cut? Come on....Perhaps because it wasn't the most exciting fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.