UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> SCARY Marcus Davis weight cutting story...OMG

10/13/11 3:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Peckerwood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scary...weight cutting is pretty bad for you. Courtesy mmaweekly.com

Marcus Davis Embraces Life as a Welterweight After Scary Weight Cutting Experience

Posted on October 13, 2011 by Damon Martin

Marcus Davis at UFC 118
Not long ago, former UFC competitor Marcus Davis decided to try the experiment that so many fighters do to try and improve their standing in the sport.

He decided to cut weight and drop down to a lower weight class.

Davis first made the move while still in the UFC when he dropped down to 155lbs and faced Jeremy Stephens at UFC 125. While Davis lost the fight in the end, he looked strong through the first two rounds and it seemed he had found a new home at lightweight.

The results were short lived however.

For his first fight in his post-UFC career, Davis took on Curtis DeMarce in the MFC and his second trip to lightweight was almost disastrous.

“It’s kind of scary to say this but that fight almost killed me, making that weight,” Davis told MMAWeekly Radio recently. “I had a really, really, really bad time and I still made the weight, but I’ll never ever be able to do that again.”

At the weigh-ins, Davis literally lost his voice because he was so dehydrated and when his opponent was talking trash to him on the stage, he couldn’t even respond because his throat was so coarse.

Davis made the weight and ultimately won the fight, but the war with weigh cutting definitely didn’t end well.

“After that I think I was all the way down to 154 (lbs) when I ended up weighing in and that fight was on a Friday. That Monday I was 207, so it had nothing to do with my over eating. It had to do with my body freaked out and thought that I might torture it again like that so it just held onto everything,” Davis said.

His body was in so much shock from the weight cut that Davis says he literally couldn’t go to the bathroom for several days. Even after the cut to 155 was over, Davis’ body was just not reacting the way it should have been, and when he accepted his next fight at welterweight he assumed everything would be fine.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t. Davis took a fight with Pete Spratt just two months later, but his body was still struggling to cut weight and that was the wake up call that the Maine native needed to know that getting back to lightweight was something he’d never do again.

“Saying it was a hard cut to go to 155 is one thing, but you know I fought Pete Spratt about 8 weeks later and I had difficulty making 170. What was weird was I followed the same routine cause I got into panic mode cause I wasn’t losing any weight, so I went to my 155lb diet and my body still wouldn’t let that weight go. I had a really tough time with those two fights,” Davis said.

Now that his health is back in order and he’s got his body under control, Davis has embraced his roll as a welterweight fighter. His last two fights have been at 170lbs and when he faces former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ competitor Chuck O’Neil this weekend he’ll again be a welterweight.

“My body’s back being adjusted for 170,” said Davis. “That probably was the best fit and the strongest that I’ve been in a long time.”

Davis admits it was a scary time for him and his family as he went through the weight cutting struggles, but he’s now back at welterweight and intends on staying there for the foreseeable future.

“I honestly don’t think my body would allow me to do it, and if I did, I wouldn’t want to know what it could do to my health in the long run,” said Davis. “I made a promise to my wife that I wasn’t going to do that again.”

Davis will stick to his welterweight diet and face off against Chuck O’Neil in the main event of the W1 event in Florida this weekend.
10/13/11 3:35 PM
NickBenton93
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit.
10/13/11 3:37 PM
orcus

Cutting from 207 to 155 in 5 days causes problems? SHOCKING!
10/13/11 3:41 PM
J-Tee
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn that's disturbing...
10/13/11 3:41 PM
forrestfan
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  Cutting from 207 to 155 in 5 days causes problems? SHOCKING!

it doesn't say he necessarily cut from 207, but that he ballooned up to that after the fight.
10/13/11 3:44 PM
Sean Quinn

Not what he said.
10/13/11 3:47 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading comprehension.....how does it work?
10/13/11 3:48 PM
GogoplataGuru
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcus Davis is the GOAT. He should fight at 185 and beat Silva. After that he should move to 205 and beat Jones.

Ok, not really, I'm kidding...but I really want him in the UFC. he deserves a few more fights on the big stage. Phone Post
10/13/11 3:52 PM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 10/13/11 3:52 PM
cutting a lot of weight can and more often than not backfires.Glad he is ok Im a fan
10/13/11 3:56 PM
Peckerwood

Yeah he didn't cut from 207, he just fucked his body up so bad that his body prolly thought it was starving and added as much weight as possible to save itself.

That is fucking scary...anyone who says weight cutting doesn't cause long term health issues is probably wrong.

10/13/11 3:59 PM
46and2
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This shit is out of hand.

I don't want to see it, but a high profile fighter is going to die from this.

Is there any doubt?
10/13/11 4:01 PM
disbeliever
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol orcus
10/13/11 4:02 PM
standupwarrior
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very dangerous
10/13/11 4:04 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zamiel - 
Sean Quinn - 

Not what he said.

But how much food weight could he have possibly added by Monday? 9-12 pounds?

More like 20+. I saw this happen with a buddy who was a bodybuilder and (foolishly) was loaded on diruretics for a comp. He gained INSANE weight for the 3 days after the event and was retaining water like a freak show. He didnt go the the bathroom for a couple days, and literally any food or water that touched him his body sucked it up.
10/13/11 4:08 PM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peckerwood - Yeah he didn't cut from 207, he just fucked his body up so bad that his body prolly thought it was starving and added as much weight as possible to save itself.

That is fucking scary...anyone who says weight cutting doesn't cause long term health issues is probably wrong.

The massive weight gain in the face of rehydration coupled with the inability to void sounds like acute renal (kidney) failure to me. I really would like to have seen some labs on this guy.
10/13/11 4:20 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My cousin Rory had some serious complications following a brutal weight cut. When he fought Dan Hardy in London, he dropped upwards near 30 in a short short period of time, the dehydration led to a collapsed lung.

TBidness
10/13/11 4:25 PM
McBottery
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - 
Zamiel - 
Sean Quinn - 

Not what he said.

But how much food weight could he have possibly added by Monday? 9-12 pounds?

He was retaining everything, all the water he drank, his body was so stuffed up it wad craving food and water, so he would have been feeding it, and it still demanded more, body was telling him it was hungry - yet he could never satisfy it, and his body kept all that in, no pissing no c#$ping that must have been just horrible, worse than the weight cut itself.

Did superCalo just make a serious post or is there a troll somewhere in there?
10/13/11 4:31 PM
clattymine
494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting stuff.  I'm betting we'll see a death or serious hospitalization due to excessive weight cutting sometime in the next couple of years.
10/13/11 4:52 PM
orcus

Edited: 10/13/11 4:53 PM
stlnl2 - 

Here's what he said again: "“After that I think I was all the way down to 154 (lbs) when I ended up weighing in and that fight was on a Friday. That Monday I was 207". Forgive me for missing the implied "the following Monday".

In any case, if he was 207 three days later, what's the fucking difference? The point stands -- he had clearly cut a staggering amount of weight in the days leading up to the fight, which is why his body put back on 53lb in three days. Unless you think he trimmed down to 180 or 170 a week before the fight and yet for some reason he ballooned up 50lb after weigh-ins.

10/13/11 5:00 PM
Winston Wolf

ChokeEmOut - Cutting weight is not good and it's fucking stupid! It's more dangerous than steroids yet steroids are banned. Yeah, that makes sense. /sarcasm

cutting some weight is fine cutting exceedingly high amounts will almost always backfire
10/13/11 5:08 PM
clattymine
494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - 
clattymine -  Interesting stuff.  I'm betting we'll see a death or serious hospitalization due to excessive weight cutting sometime in the next couple of years.

I think advances in medical science and fighter knowledge of more cutting edge drug use will actually improve the weight cutting experience and make the body adapt to it better, even if artifically so.
I agree, but there is always someone who's going to take it too far.  Adapting your thought process to steroids is pretty applicable I think.

10/13/11 5:42 PM
Peckerwood

The reason Daniel Cormier is fighting at HWT instead of 205 is he wrecked his kidney's cutting weight for the Olympics. That's proof its bad stuff...
10/13/11 6:00 PM
HELWIG

What always amazed me isnt the guys who cut a ton and have an advantage the first round.

Nor the guys who barely cut anything and are edurance machines.

But the guys who somehow do both and come in very big/strong for the weight class AND have the best conditioning.

Guys like Tito and GSP learned this over time and its an amazing advantage.
10/13/11 6:09 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

Didnt wrestle in school?
10/13/11 6:09 PM
SuMBJJ

orcus - 
stlnl2 - 

Here's what he said again: "“After that I think I was all the way down to 154 (lbs) when I ended up weighing in and that fight was on a Friday. That Monday I was 207". Forgive me for missing the implied "the following Monday".

In any case, if he was 207 three days later, what's the fucking difference? The point stands -- he had clearly cut a staggering amount of weight in the days leading up to the fight, which is why his body put back on 53lb in three days. Unless you think he trimmed down to 180 or 170 a week before the fight and yet for some reason he ballooned up 50lb after weigh-ins.

We know, we know.... it's all Fedor's fault.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.