UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gil Melendez: I might go to 170

10/14/11 2:27 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"If things go well here, then I might go to 170 you know. Why not?

"I can fight at 170 pounds and I know I can beat some guys out there, but there are definitely plenty of challenges at 155 right now. But you know why not have goals in the long term to be one of the best in the world and go to three weight classes. Why not?

"I'm not trying to be arrogant; it's just that it's a dream. I'm allowed to dream a little bit and I'm allowed to work for it. So, that's what I mean by that."

10/14/11 2:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
supersonic
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gill seems like a level headed guy. Looking forward to seeing if he can put a run together
10/14/11 2:44 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Gil.

Of course, people get hysterical when a fighter says anything but when Gil said he is the #1 LW in the world, he also said that he believes it (as many fighters do) and is saying it to market himself and that he needs to back it up when he fights and not just win but win in convincing fashion.

He did just that against Kawajiri. Now, most TUFers still discount Kawajiri as not a top guy. Its arguable. He is def good, def tough and skilled but no one beat him like Gil did. Not even Gomi in his absolute prime (though Aoki beat him quicker than both).

But who can't like a statement like "I'm not trying to be arrogant; it's just that it's a dream. I'm allowed to dream a little bit and I'm allowed to work for it. So, that's what I mean by that."
10/14/11 2:47 PM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stay at 155 Gil.
10/14/11 2:48 PM
topshelf720

Gil isn't half as good as he thinks he is. That's the truth...like it or not. He might move to 170 for the same reason BJ did...the second time, but not because he's so bad ass he is going to be the best at both weight classes. Here's a list of 10 guys at both LW and WW that would beat Gil 9 times out of 10....

Frankie
Gray
Bendo
Guillard (Yes I know he lost to Lauzon, doesn't mean anything about how he would do against Gil)
Pettis

GSP
Fitch
Penn
Condit
Alves
Diaz
Ellenberger

I had to stop on the 170's cause he wouldn't even be a top 10 WW.

10/14/11 2:49 PM
orcus

Wasa-B - I like Gil.

Of course, people get hysterical when a fighter says anything but when Gil said he is the #1 LW in the world, he also said that he believes it (as many fighters do) and is saying it to market himself and that he needs to back it up when he fights and not just win but win in convincing fashion.

He did just that against Kawajiri. Now, most TUFers still discount Kawajiri as not a top guy. Its arguable. He is def good, def tough and skilled but no one beat him like Gil did. Not even Gomi in his absolute prime (though Aoki beat him quicker than both).

But who can't like a statement like "I'm not trying to be arrogant; it's just that it's a dream. I'm allowed to dream a little bit and I'm allowed to work for it. So, that's what I mean by that."

The funny thing about Gil saying he is #1 is that in a previous interview he had said he was #3 after Edgar and BJ. He started saying he was #1 shortly thereafter without having a fight himself in the meantime. 
10/14/11 2:51 PM
FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gil is quite ambitious. Phone Post
10/14/11 2:55 PM
BzGrappla

topshelf720 - Gil isn't half as good as he thinks he is. That's the truth...like it or not. He might move to 170 for the same reason BJ did...the second time, but not because he's so bad ass he is going to be the best at both weight classes. Here's a list of 10 guys at both LW and WW that would beat Gil 9 times out of 10....

Frankie
Gray
Bendo
Guillard (Yes I know he lost to Lauzon, doesn't mean anything about how he would do against Gil)
Pettis

GSP
Fitch
Penn
Condit
Alves
Diaz
Ellenberger

this is the classic ignorant mma post. I love how u say ur opinion is the truth like its a fact lol
10/14/11 3:00 PM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see him get a shot against Edgar if he gets past Masvidal.
10/14/11 3:11 PM
topshelf720

BzGrappla - 
topshelf720 - Gil isn't half as good as he thinks he is. That's the truth...like it or not. He might move to 170 for the same reason BJ did...the second time, but not because he's so bad ass he is going to be the best at both weight classes. Here's a list of 10 guys at both LW and WW that would beat Gil 9 times out of 10....

Frankie
Gray
Bendo
Pettis

GSP
Fitch
Penn
Condit
Alves
Diaz
Ellenberger

this is the classic ignorant mma post. I love how u say ur opinion is the truth like its a fact lol

Nah, it's based on his "greatness" being gauged on beating B level fighters and "great" fighters from Japan. How many times do these guys have to come over from other organizations, after having beat up on Japanese competition, and look like shit, before everyone starts realizing it's not just coincidence? Or are you one of the idiots that's hanging his "greatness" on his decision win over Guida from 5 years ago? Beating Japanese fighters doesn't make you the best, and it sure as hell doesn't mean you can start fighting and heavier weight classes.

Win a fight against a legit Top 5 LW before you even mention fighting at other weight classes....and no, there isn't ONE Japanese fighter that would even SNIFF the top 5 in the UFC.

That's not opinion, it's based on history fella.
10/14/11 3:34 PM
knockoutfighter

Let him fight someone in the UFC already. No one wants to see him fight Masvidal.
10/14/11 3:41 PM
illegal shots to the head ko'd sexyama
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

too bad he's going to lose to Masvidal.
10/14/11 3:44 PM
hellride
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like gill, and i believe he can make an impact in the UFC... so lets see how he does before we get all willy nilly with the predictions. He is a top 5 lightweight so give him a top 5 fighter to fight.
10/14/11 3:44 PM
topshelf720

illegal shots to the head ko'd sexyama - too bad he's going to lose to Masvidal.

Wouldn't surprise me even a little bit.
10/14/11 4:36 PM
MakeMeBleed
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie
Gray
Bendo
Pettis

GSP
Fitch
Penn
Condit
Alves
Diaz
Ellenberger

Gil has been in the game a long time and beat some great fighters in amazing fashion. and you have 12 fighters on your 10 fighter list. He has earned a shot in the big show IMO he is a great fighter
10/14/11 4:46 PM
cumprido1
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Until someone absolutely kicks his ass, I'd rank him in the top 5 in the world for sure.

I think he can hang with anyone in the UFC at 155. He's got good wrestling, great chin, good boxing, has KO power, has good BJJ training at Caesar's, and he's an experienced fighter.

I don't think Guillard would beat him, don't think Pettis would beat him, and it'd be a toss up w/ Frankie and Gray and Bendo.
10/14/11 6:47 PM
Godmode
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why the fuck would he go to 170? Doesn't make any sense since he's a top of the food chain LW...
10/14/11 6:53 PM
SuMBJJ

Frankie
Gray
Bendo
Pettis

GSP
Fitch
Penn
Condit
Alves
Diaz
Ellenberger

^smokes rocks
10/14/11 6:54 PM
SuMBJJ

Gil is the best.  I don't know what else to tell you guys.
10/14/11 7:36 PM
MercWaMouth85

GageIsLegend -
topshelf720 - Gil isn't half as good as he thinks he is. That's the truth...like it or not. He might move to 170 for the same reason BJ did...the second time, but not because he's so bad ass he is going to be the best at both weight classes. Here's a list of 10 guys at both LW and WW that would beat Gil 9 times out of 10....

Frankie
Gray
Bendo
Pettis

GSP
Fitch
Penn
Condit
Alves
Diaz
Ellenberger

Perfect response agreed with all points. Phone Post
. Phone Post
10/14/11 7:42 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

illegal shots to the head ko'd sexyama - too bad he's going to lose to Masvidal.

LMFAO!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.