UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Building Athletic Attributes Through Boxing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/16/11 12:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm one of those guys who got into combat sport and stopped playing stick & ball sports. Now that I got a 3 year old boy I need to get back my sports skills so I've been playing a bit.

Yesterday I picked up a basketball for the first time in 8 years and couldn't make a shot for shit, but the 6 yrs of boxing did wonders for my ball handling skills. My boxing footwork/balance made me a better ball handler than I was 8 years ago, despite zero practice. Crazy.
12/23/11 8:11 PM
m.g
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting!

My guess would be the hand-eye coordination you got from the bag training (namely the speed bag and the double end bag) and focus mitt training (assuming, of course you regulary did those things in your boxing training) transfer well to basketball along with foot-eye coordination you got from the footwork/balance training.

12/23/11 8:33 PM
Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I saw the biggest transfer from boxing was to my golf swing. My rotational power had increased dramatically from boxing and I probably added at least 50 yards to my driving distance.

12/23/11 9:47 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I've noticed the hop rotation improvement too.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.