UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Composting?

10/16/11 10:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cdmontgo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi guys,

I'm a composting newbie. I have a very small patio garden, and I would like to start composting. I have a few concerns which I am trying to design around:

1. Space - I don't have a yard to work with. I live in a condo, and have a small patio and some space in the garage to work with.
2. Smell - the bin is going to be near the house, so I don't want it to smell too bad.
3. Moisture - I live in Oregon and the rainy season just started. It will last for six months or so.

I was thinking about using a bucket as a composting bin. I can get buckets for free from the bakery (that's how they get their icing from the supplier). They are about 4-5 gallons, food safe, and they come with a lid. They are small enough where I can use one or two of them on my patio, and small enough to just pick them up and shake them to mix up the contents.

I was thinking I'd drill some holes in the buckets. Maybe a few in the bottom and/or around the sides, but definitely in the lid. I'm sure I can find a charcoal filter to fit (or cut to fit) the lid to cut down on the smell. Will that be enough to not stink?

Will the buckets be good enough as far as air flow is concerned?

Also as I mentioned, I live in Oregon and the rainy season is upon us. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Oregon, the rainy season basically means pissing (aka light) rain nearly everyday for about six months. I figure I can test the moisture levels by hand squeezing the compost. If it is dripping wet, I'll throw a cover over the bucket (a trap or gas grill cover or whatever). Does that sound like it'll be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
10/18/11 4:04 PM
cdmontgo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks kvr. I'll check out the videos when I get home from work.

I was thinking I could just pick the buckets up and shake them to mix up the contents. The buckets which I get are only about 4 gallons, so they'll be plenty light enough.

I guess I'm not seeing how a tumbler will cut down on smell. Am I missing something?
10/18/11 5:52 PM
MoreThanUFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/11 5:54 PM
 Lowes sells a compost tumbler.

I'll try and find it online and post it. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_371415-34794-EZCJR-STA_0__?productId=3516398&Ntt=compost&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcompost&facetInfo=
10/18/11 10:04 PM
cdmontgo

Thanks, man. That looks a little too big for the space I'm working with and the garden that I'm composting for.

Those were some nice videos, kvr. They gave me some ideas to a hole drilling strategy, and I like that guy's use of bolts to help mix it up.

I think I'm going to go with my bucket plan. I hope it doesn't stink too bad.
10/19/11 11:09 PM
cdmontgo

Edited: 10/19/11 11:10 PM
"what are you composting? they make the countertop models for kitchen scraps"

Kitchen scraps.

I was planning on starting with leaves and dirt and adding kitchen scraps as I have them. Other than that, if it is too moist I might mix in some wood chips that I have in the garage for homemade glove dogs.

I saw the countertop models in the store the day before I made this thread. I'm just looking for something larger, and I like that it is not in the house (maybe overly paranoid about the smell).

I'll be sure to mix it and drill holes for air.

Thanks for the advice, brosephs!
10/20/11 10:22 AM
simthefarmer

kvr29 -  ever think about starting a small worm farm? you could sell the worms as a side business to fisherman

<a href="http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html">www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html</a>

That is what i was going to suggest. I heard that vermicomposting is good for limited space and doesnt generate much smell.
10/20/11 7:30 PM
cdmontgo

I'm thinking about it now... Thanks for the link!
11/13/11 12:20 AM
domernd1
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/16/11 3:15 PM
NonIntervention

up
1/1/12 11:35 PM
Warcraft

Subscribe

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.