UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gil Melendez: Frankie Edgar is beatable

10/17/11 5:37 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"If you can find that target, it looks like you could put (Frankie Edgar) on the ground," Gil Melendez told MMAjunkie.com. "We need someone to find that target more than once, and I think I could find that target."

At the moment, his thoughts are academic. A UFC title shot is not next. What's next is a defense of his Strikeforce belt, and it could be the toughest fight of his life.

"The biggest motivation is fighting a guy who's underrated that I'm supposed to smash," Melendez said. "It's not for the fans; this is for myself to overcome this. I have nothing to gain here."

"I think I can prove a lot to myself if I can handle this business right here. This is where everyone supposedly chokes. Am I going to choke? We'll find out."

"I thought, and I still do think, that it makes sense for me to be [in the UFC]. But with that put away, it's gone in my head, and now it's focusing on this guy."

"He's become a well-rounded MMA fighter in the last couple of years. He's definitely a No. 1 contender and an underrated fighter. I think his biggest problem is being inconsistent ... and that's probably why he's not in the top 10 right now. But when he's focused and motivated, he's definitely a very big threat. Obviously, this is one he better be motivated for."

"I feel some of those guys are more popular than me. My main thing with the UFC is branding myself. I think I've got the better paychecks than a lot of the fighters. But a big part of my future would be able to brand myself, and I assume by the end of my career I would have that opportunity to brand myself in the sport."

"Again, I want the UFC strap as soon as possible, and it's inevitable and I want to get it. If I have to fight 10 guys, yes. But do I feel like I'm ready now? I feel like I'm ready now. I've been ready for a long time. I've been in this sport longer than Gray. I've been in this sport longer than Frankie. I feel like I'm constantly proving myself. I'm not mad, but I feel like I'm ready now." 

Read entire article...

10/17/11 5:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Darth Ryase
1264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masvidal is no joke...but I can't see him beating Melendez. His record is too spotty.
10/17/11 5:50 PM
subwrassler
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masvdal is no joke....and you just might see him beat Melendez
10/17/11 6:00 PM
Darth Ryase
1264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he does.
10/17/11 6:39 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lesnar Fan 17 - Maynard CAN beat Edgar, he jus needs to fight smarter

Sure, but if Edgar fought smarter in those first rounds, Maynard would have had zero success against him either time. Edgar has demonstrated twice now that even after being badly hurt, he is a better boxer than Maynard, equivalent wrestler, and has better workrate and footwork -- and now he's even shown that he is a better finisher, and/or has a better chin. If he didn't rush in with his hands down in those opening rounds, Maynard would have looked completely outclassed in both fights based on what we've seen. So "if he fought smarter" applies to both guys.

10/17/11 6:50 PM
iodio
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Between Maynard and Edgar, Frankie is the better fighter. Melendez could be better than both, but he needs to prove it.
10/17/11 6:56 PM
XFactah416
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every fighter is beatable.

Good luck beating Frankie though. You're gonna need to kill him to take his belt because the last two fights have shown that he is not going to lay down and quit for you in times of adversity.
10/18/11 1:48 AM
FABERLICIOUS
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gil got this on lock. Defend the SF title then hit the UFC and take that title!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.