UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Instructional Help: Controlling my emotions and..

10/18/11 12:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
truthisalive
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/11 12:43 PM

...and feelings. I'm 30 now and I realize I'm more sensitive than ever. I have anger issues that I used to express (punch the wall, scream, punch the wall, punch the wall...ok you get the point) I'm beyond the physical outburst but now I get mean and use sharp words towards others to express my anger. When I get offended I hold stuff in and feel very emotional when attempting to explain to someone my reasoning. I don't have any real control over my emotions and I need some advice on how to control them and not allow them to control me. I let the smallest thing bug me to where it swells from a slight wind to a tempestous storm inside. I need help and some advice I know what the scripture says but I need to read some books on the matter. Maybe you, my brothers in Christ could share some examples where someone offended you and how you guys dealt with it. Also I realize how selfish I am. I always put myself first, and I'm tired of doing that. But I almsot forgot how to care about other people. Man getting old sucks you really start being humbled and begin to analyze your character. I never do this but lately I've been so emotionally unstable and angry. Brothers in Jesus Christ this is a genuine reach out for help and advice...God knows I need it.
10/18/11 12:54 PM
Benedictus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been there before. Sanctification can be tough. Take courage the Lord has His finger on the issue. My advice would first be to get alone with Christ, cry out to Him. Thank Him for dealing with you and then ask for deliverance from self. It wont happen over night, but stay in the Word and pray daily.
For me when i realized the world wasnt about me, it humbled me. It was a hard pill to swallow. I didnt want to think i was so selfish, but inside deep down, everything was about me. It has taken time, tears, prayer, and good friends. But it gets better. Phone Post
10/18/11 1:06 PM
truthisalive
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benedictus thank you so much man. I know I sound weak or whatever but yea its a burden to me now. A knot in my throat and a weight on top of my heart and it's not going away, God is making me face it and it kinda sucks. Thank you for your wisdom and advice.
10/18/11 4:44 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it gets tamer as you age but you may be struggling with depression also. They say ' anger is depression turned inside out' . It might be worth a visit to a doctor. No use living with a dark cloud over your head forever. You might just get a right diagnosis and suddenly the birds sing and the sky is blue. just a thought.
10/19/11 8:30 AM
truthisalive

Edited: 10/19/11 8:30 AM
No depression just selfishness and the realization I only live for myself. God is really dealing with me on this one and it isn't a pleasent feeling. But I know for me to grow as a person this must be done and character changes must be made. I do appreciate your time and contribution to the thread though.
10/19/11 12:41 PM
gord96
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truthisalive - Also I realize how selfish I am. I always put myself first, and I'm tired of doing that. But I almost forgot how to care about other people. Man getting old sucks you really start being humbled and begin to analyze your character. I never do this but lately I've been so emotionally unstable and angry. Brothers in Jesus Christ this is a genuine reach out for help and advice...God knows I need it.

take heart that you see your own sin and depravity and know of your need for our Lord's grace. Too many times a Christian does not realize a sign of true and saving faith is the realization of one's own sinful nature. Read the word and pray as you deal with your struggles. Read Romans 6 through 8 and meditate on the glorious truth of Roman 8:1
10/20/11 9:19 AM
truthisalive

Thank you gord for taking the time to read my post and reply with help! I appreciate you very much and I will do as you say concerning those scriptures! God bless you Gord.
10/21/11 8:44 PM
colubrid1

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
10/21/11 8:51 PM
colubrid1

Edited: 10/21/11 8:52 PM
The one thing i realized when i dealt with this is realizing that others are sinners just like me. They need our forgivness just like God forgives us. We have to forgive others to be forgiven.

So what do you expect from sinners when they offend you? They will. AND SO DO YOU. The difference is you know you are offending a good and holy God. They may not even know Jesus and don't know any better..
10/21/11 8:54 PM
colubrid1

...and you are no better than they are.
10/22/11 12:59 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have anger issues as well. i dont really lash out at people as much as i just let stuff make me mad. im not as bad as i used to be but far from where i want to be.

i let my kids, who cant help it, piss me off greatly. im very impatient with them, which is teaching them the wrong way to react to things. for example, if i try to do something, and it doesnt work, ill try it again, and if it dont work the second time, the third time i try it, im already very mad. it goes away seconds later, but the fact it happens is enough for me.

i dont dwell in anger, but it shouldnt happen at all over such small things.

i know the answer for me, but keeping myself there is the hard part. if i keep myself in prayer and communication with God, i have a peace that is constant, and things dont bother me at all. like just right now, my kids toy kept making noise and i had the urge to throw it against the wall. cell phones do it to me too, lol.

i keep hearing that it is a deeper problem that needs to be addressed, but i cant pinpoint what it is. i just know that if i could make it a constant habit to stay hooked up to him, it will be healed. that is where the battle of the flesh comes in to play.

i never have beat my wife or kids, but i can see where it could get like that for some people. thank God i wasnt molested or beaten as a kid, cuz what i am naturally predisposed to already would be much much worse. for me, i just need to quit being a selfish spoiled kid and grow up, lol. (not that im attaching that title to you by any means)

i feel ya dude. i hate this aspect of my personality. but Gods grace is sufficient, and i need to realize that
10/26/11 8:30 AM
truthisalive

All great and wonderful examples. I do really appreciate it this thread. I will come back here every few days and just reread these post and think on the scriptures that deal with these type of character flaws. *sigh* fruit of the Spirit is what I want in my life...the written about in the Book of Galatians. I desire it honestly and have a great expectation that God will infuse in me those qualities that I lack.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.