UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> BJJ Curriculum

10/18/11 5:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anarkis
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know of actual BJJ Curriculum workbook broken down by belt level? I know that BJJ can't be this rigid. But at the same time, I kind of would like to have a list of checkables or bare minimum concepts, drills, and techniques I should understand. I have written a grappling game plan, but that's more tailored to my game. I am looking more for something that is a list of general things related to the Martial Art of BJJ.
10/18/11 5:26 PM
klif
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryron and Renner are doing a pretty good job of it.

10/18/11 5:33 PM
Anarkis
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I was thinking of picking it up and going through it with a friend.
10/18/11 5:34 PM
mongrel 911
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about Renzo and Royler's book. It presents the techniques for each level.
10/18/11 5:40 PM
Anarkis

Might as while compile this as a reference point for people later.

http://www.gracieacademy.com/gracie_combatives.asp

http://www.gracieacademy.com/storeitem.asp?r=75012

http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Jiu-Jitsu-Theory-Technique/dp/1931229082
10/18/11 5:41 PM
Anarkis

Saulo's Book

http://www.amazon.com/Jiu-Jitsu-University-Saulo-Ribeiro/product-reviews/0981504434/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar
10/18/11 7:30 PM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/11 7:33 PM
John Will and David Meyer has EXACTLY what your looking for Workbook broke down to levels, and if you want, dvd's to compliment the books.
10/18/11 7:41 PM
SpiderRicco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humaita has a curriculum for stripes 1 through 4 at the white belt level.
10/19/11 11:30 AM
ChangoBravo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an ideas about this. I'll post more in a minute.

Chango
10/19/11 11:55 AM
ChangoBravo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always wanted a set, uniform curriculum for BJJ. I always wonder if the technique I'm learning is equivalent to the technique others are learning or "how do I stack up" if I went to another school.

By combing the web and the purchase of DVD's I have found the blue belt techniques of the following:

Alliance
Royce Gracie
Royler Gracie
Rickson Gracie
Gracie Academy
Pedro Sauer
Roy Harris
Roy Dean
Wolfpack BJJ
Felipe "Zicro" Neto
Francisco Mansur

I am currently compiling all of the info into a spreadsheet, cross -referencing all the techniques, to comprise a master list of the basic skills a blue belt should have.

Chango
10/19/11 12:15 PM
Jasonbaldy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chango, don't forget about Little Tony and his blue belt dvd. I've never seen it but it is on my to buy list. Anything LT puts out is gold.

Sincerely,

Wanna Be president of Lil' Tony Fan Club
10/19/11 1:58 PM
ChangoBravo

I'll look into Little Tony.

Thanks.

Chango
10/19/11 2:01 PM
Anarkis

ChangoBravo - I have always wanted a set, uniform curriculum for BJJ. I always wonder if the technique I'm learning is equivalent to the technique others are learning or "how do I stack up" if I went to another school.

By combing the web and the purchase of DVD's I have found the blue belt techniques of the following:

Alliance
Royce Gracie
Royler Gracie
Rickson Gracie
Gracie Academy
Pedro Sauer
Roy Harris
Roy Dean
Wolfpack BJJ
Felipe "Zicro" Neto
Francisco Mansur

I am currently compiling all of the info into a spreadsheet, cross -referencing all the techniques, to comprise a master list of the basic skills a blue belt should have.

Chango

Chango,

That sounds awesome. When you finish let me know. If you need some help formatting it, I would be happy to help. When you finish it I would be willing to throw a little cash your way for your time and a copy :D
10/19/11 2:50 PM
slideyfoot
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds interesting. Robson Moura has curriculum DVDs out too. BJJWeekly did a review of them all:

http://www.bjjweekly.com/bjj-gear-reviews/robson-moura-jiu-jitsu-requirements-series.html

Going further back, there are the old curriculum tapes from Joe Moreira and Carlson Jr, although that's more geared towards self defence.

10/19/11 2:58 PM
Anarkis

I went ahead and picked up the University of Jiu Jitsu and Gracie DVD series. I have a friend who is just getting into Jiu Jitsu who is willing to go through them with me.
10/20/11 7:57 AM
Anarkis

mongrel 911 - How about Renzo and Royler's book. It presents the techniques for each level.

I am ashamed to admit this, I own this book and never really bothered looking through it. I went ahead and picked up the Gracie DVD series, Saulos book, and I have the Royler and Renzo book. I might pickup the Robson series later so that I have NU requirements met.
10/20/11 10:45 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
I am working on one.  

I am 100% serious, and I haven't yet decided if I will release it to the general public.  

Because we are under Mr. Roy Harris, we have a very set curriculum from white to blue (and truth be told, I have added more structure to it in order to break it down easily in my white belt classes).  After a discussion with Mr. Harris earlier this year, I am working hard on developing a full curriculum that will guide students carefully from blue to black.  He gave it his blessing and encouragement.  
10/21/11 2:05 AM
Anarkis

Look forward to seeing what you came up with. If we ever get to see it.
10/21/11 11:13 AM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The key thing is to have a well rounded curriculum that is not strictly sport based. It must also include self defense and Vale-Tudo techniques which a lot of schools don't include in their curriculum.
10/21/11 11:18 AM
Anarkis

Team Python - The key thing is to have a well rounded curriculum that is not strictly sport based. It must also include self defense and Vale-Tudo techniques which a lot of schools don't include in their curriculum.

I picked up the Gracie series and plan on doing the course and getting certified via video. I think it would be something neat to have and want to learn those self defense moves. I have used some of the ones taught by Royler and Renzo before.
10/21/11 11:47 AM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdog1955 - John Will and David Meyer has EXACTLY what your looking for Workbook broke down to levels, and if you want, dvd's to compliment the books.

This was pricey before (not sure how much now) but it is definitely a good resource. My buddy bought it a while back and I skimmed through the first workbooks it looks pretty sport focused from what I saw but it seemed decent.

It's nice that the dvds go along with it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.