UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Which SBG instructional showed...

10/19/11 12:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fredrico
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a side mount escape where Matt used a bridge and a stiff arm to escape. From what I recall, Matt's opponent was in side control on his right side. Matt had his left forearm under his opponent's throat and his right forearm monitoring his opponent's hip.

Matt would then bridge to the right into his opponent and as the opponent tried to put weight down, Matt would straighten/stiffen his right arm out under the opponent's left armpit and redirect his energy to his left basically causing a sweep.

I just got back into training and started using this escape again but have been close to getting arm barred so I want to relearn the details. I have shitloads of video and cannot recall where I saw this.

Thanks for any help
10/22/11 6:55 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funtional jkd 2 has it as well as series 3 on the escape dvds.
10/23/11 11:03 PM
Fredrico
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks I'll have a look. Would you happen to remember the details specifically on how to keep that stiff arm from being arm barred?
10/23/11 11:40 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the escape all the time. Main thing is where you put your opponent's weight. You have to stiff arm (ie make a proper frame) and roll while pushing their weight to your hips. You roll and pop up on the free arm while keeping your arm stiff the whole time. There is no way you can get armbarred unless you are pushing to the wrong angle. Your c cup goes in the armpit and you stiff arm to your hips while rolling, if they are armbarring you you either are not framing correctly or trying to roll in direct parallel which will never work.
10/23/11 11:48 PM
Hunter V

Plus remember, if you think the size advantage is too great use the beginning of the movement to simply escape your hips out and regain guard. Go for the path of least resistance.
11/5/11 1:11 PM
Fredrico

Hunter V - I use the escape all the time. Main thing is where you put your opponent's weight. You have to stiff arm (ie make a proper frame) and roll while pushing their weight to your hips. You roll and pop up on the free arm while keeping your arm stiff the whole time. There is no way you can get armbarred unless you are pushing to the wrong angle. Your c cup goes in the armpit and you stiff arm to your hips while rolling, if they are armbarring you you either are not framing correctly or trying to roll in direct parallel which will never work.

Bingo! Thanks for the tip. Worked a lot today. Respect!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.