UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Turnovers!?

10/20/11 10:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can anyone point me to an online resource for various turnovers from Turtle? I'm mainly a Bjj guy now and I will often show my guys alot of judo stuff when it's my turn to teach. I'm just looking for resource to jog my memory as it's been a long time.

Anyone have any favorite turnovers? Mine has to be what my old Judo instructor used to refer to as the Dvoidnokov(sp). It's a hard one to explain. Anytime I show it though the guys are always amazed when they see it.
10/20/11 11:07 AM
WISEGUY66
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/user/welcomematstevescott?blend=10&ob=5#p/u/17/x6uw14RHCkw

http://www.youtube.com/user/welcomematstevescott?blend=10&ob=5#p/u/18/sVJ4WL6T5qg

http://www.youtube.com/user/welcomematstevescott?blend=10&ob=5#p/u/35/2RxwsaOBwDQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/welcomematstevescott?blend=10&ob=5#p/u/36/RvPeU7eJg98
10/20/11 11:27 AM
Mit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks dude.
10/20/11 9:13 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The turnover roll you are talking about is by Valeriy Droynikov. It is on you tube. In judo you need to learn how to attack turtles from the front, side and rear.Sankaku is a basic front attack not seen in BJJ.But there are also turnovers from the front used by many world class players. One is particular is where you grab the belt(left hand) and the gi near the back of neck ( right hand0 . Lift the opponent up and insert your left leg, bring the opponent forward onto you and lift them up in the air with both of your legs, release the neck hold and grab the belt under the oppposite arm and roll your opponent over for the pin. You also need to learn how attack when the opponent is flat. this is the predominant position I use and I have seen world class players use when covering up after being thrown for less than an ippon. I don't like to turtle.
10/25/11 7:41 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you watch video of Michael Eldred 73K male US and Frederique Jossinet 48K female France have the best turnovers I have seen from turtle/face down. Many of their mathces are on www.judovision.org and www.judo.com/gr(Greek judo portal). The Greek judo portal has the recent Abu Dhabi Grand Prix matches. and judovision has the second most recent IJF Grand Slam videos from Rio De Janerio. If you are a judo junkie you can watch matches all day from these 2 sites.
10/26/11 1:09 PM
Mit

Thanks. The dnoinikov turnover I found is very different than the one I found on the net. Maybe I will record it and post to YouTube. Phone Post
10/27/11 6:42 AM
judoblackbelt

Please do. I have never heard of his name until you mentioned it. Or use the turnover where he basically takes the opponent backwards from turtle. I guess he could have more than 1 turnover.
10/27/11 9:21 AM
Mit

judoblackbelt - Please do. I have never heard of his name until you mentioned it. Or use the turnover where he basically takes the opponent backwards from turtle. I guess he could have more than 1 turnover.

LOL yeah.

I will try to record it Saturday when I go.
12/1/11 11:04 AM
Mit

So I finally recorded the movement...don't mind the chatter. I just demoed it a few times very quickly to get it recorded. Recorded during an open mat. I used a smaller guy cause that's the student I happened to be working with, but use this movement successfully on all shapes/sizes/skill levels. Anyone else seen it before?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mittim24?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/GclcOVeg45g
12/1/11 11:54 AM
thePetester
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of my favorites!
12/1/11 5:52 PM
judoblackbelt

I saw this at a seminar where Steve Cohen demostrated it using Ann Marie Pedula I modified it (to suit me) because after the turnover you loose control of uke. So what I do is roll backwards and pull uke directly over the top of me and during the roll figure four his head and left arm with my legs. It is not a choke because the near side arm is trapped not the far side arm. But you can sit up and pin. You might be able to figure four uke using your legs in the demonstration also.
12/1/11 7:10 PM
Mit

judoblackbelt - I saw this at a seminar where Steve Cohen demostrated it using Ann Marie Pedula I modified it (to suit me) because after the turnover you loose control of uke. So what I do is roll backwards and pull uke directly over the top of me and during the roll figure four his head and left arm with my legs. It is not a choke because the near side arm is trapped not the far side arm. But you can sit up and pin. You might be able to figure four uke using your legs in the demonstration also.

If you are talking about the vid...you drive your knee in between his knees and arm and when you launch him you pinch the arm with the inside leg. If you do it right he doesn't go anywhere...if he slips out then you do it generally you just end up turtled due to the grips you have still. It's one of those ones that you will always get on someone once. There is a version that you take a choke grip and when you flip him over you finish the choke....I will see about filming that one next.
12/2/11 9:12 AM
judoblackbelt

Sure would like to see the choke grip. When Pedula did the demonstration with Cohen decribing it she ending up with a figure four leg lock (near side arm trapped) and her body was flat facing towards uke's feet grabbing one leg at the ankle, hugging it and leaning her head on the outside of the knee. What I described to you has worked many time for me againsst some of my blackbelt friends because I do the figure four during the backward roll while uke is in the air and before his back touchess the ground.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.