UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Who are the top no gi instructors?

10/23/11 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who strictly teach no gi?

Dean Lister?
Chris Brennen?

Name some
10/23/11 3:21 PM
Tap21
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/11 9:46 AM
Here's the list that came out of an earlier thread. I'm sure there are many more that can be added:

PURE NO-GI GYMS

Freestyle Fighting Academy (Avellan Brothers-ADCC)

The Arena (Rani Yahira-ADCC)

Zen Jiu-Jitsu (Enrico Cocco-ADCC; 2011 ADCC N.American West Coast Trials Champion)

NorCal Fighting Alliance (David Terrell-ADCC)

El Nino Training Center (Gilbert Melendez-ADCC; Jake Shields-ADCC)

Victory MMA (Dean Lister-ADCC)

Elite Performance Gym (Jeremy Horn-ADCC)-Salt Lake City, UT; Lehi, UT.

Next Generation Fighting Academy (Chris Brennan-ADCC)-Rancho Santa Margarita, CA; Lake Havasu, AZ; Vancouver, B.C.; Dublin, Ireland; Liverpool, England.

Toshido MMA - Kelowna, B.C., (David Lea/Chris Brennan-ADCC)

BodyShop (Tracy Hess/Chris Brennan-ADCC)

Grabaka (Sanae Kikuta-ADCC)

10th Planet JJ (Eddie Bravo-ADCC)-Vista, CA; Sherman, TX; Portland, OR; Van Nuys, CA; Eugene, OR; Sylmar, CA; Charlotte, NC; Decatur, AL; Morgantown, WV; St. Paul, MN; Yuma, AZ; Omaha, NE; Hartford, CT; Peterborough, ON; Spokane, WA; Springfield, MO; Newark, DE; Rochester, NY; Riverside,CA; Mesa, AZ; Melbourne, Australia; Victoria, BC; San Francisco, CA; Burbank, CA; Hollywood, CA; Monteal, Quebec. (Left off Sweden location because they seem to do a lot of gi; let me know of the other 10PJJ locations that aren't pure no-gi).

Jackson's Martial Arts (Diego Sanchez-ADCC)

K Dojo (Rustam Chsiev-2010 ADCC East Coast Trials Champion)

AMC Pankration (Matt Hume--ADCC)

GracieFighter Berkeley (Jason Manley--2nd Place ADCC 2011 West coast Trials/Cesar Gracie)

Subfighter MMA (Russ Miura)

Nam Phan MMA Academy (Nam Phan)

Extreme Couture (Randy Couture; Vinny Magalhaes--ADCC)

Lauzon MMA (Joe Lauzon)

Reign Training Center (Mark Munoz/Marcel Louzado)

GYMS THAT ARE PURE NO-GI FRIENDLY BUT ALSO TEACH GI

Hit Squad (Matt Hughes - ADCC)

CSW Training Center (Erik Paulson; Josh Barnett-ADCC)

Undisputed (Baret Yoshida-ADCC)

Team Quest (Matt Lindland-ADCC)--Portland, OR; Murrieta, CA; Oceanside, CA; West Linn, OR; Tulatin, OR; Redding, CA

The Jungle MMA & Fitness (Tom Lawlor-ADCC)

Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu (David Jacobs)

Stars and Strikes Kickboxing and Mixed Martial Arts (Dave Garcia)
10/23/11 4:12 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good list, thanks
10/23/11 5:14 PM
Vinny Magalhães
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I teach at Xtreme Couture, haven't been at TapouT for awhile now.
10/24/11 12:16 AM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd vote David Terrell, Jason Manly, Denny Prokopos, and Jake Shields off of Grapplers I've seem from their programs. Phone Post
10/24/11 9:36 AM
Tap21
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vinny Magalhães -  I teach at Xtreme Couture, haven't been at TapouT for awhile now.

Okay, I fixed it in the other thread also.
11/1/11 3:53 AM
darkness66
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris brennan imo. Hw had the first nogi only school in california and is a legend in socal Phone Post
11/18/11 12:50 PM
liquidrob

For the strictly no gi schools, do they rank like gi bjj? I know bravo does, but what about the others?
11/21/11 8:12 AM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap21 - Here's the list that came out of an earlier thread. I'm sure there are many more that can be added:

PURE NO-GI GYMS

Reign Training Center (Mark Munoz/Marcel Louzado)

Marcel Louzado - BJJ Black Belt from Brasa/Checkmat

^^ How is that possible? Some crazy BJJ Black belt teaching @ a NO-GI place?! My god this Louzado!!!

Tap21 -
GYMS THAT ARE PURE NO-GI FRIENDLY BUT ALSO TEACH GI
Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu (David Jacobs)

http://www.fairfaxjj.com/
2 days of no-gi and you have them on a "PURE NO-GI FRIENDLY BUT ALSO TEACH GI" list?

You funny man.....
11/21/11 2:13 PM
Tap21

In the original thread, one of the instructors from Fairfax JJ vouched for the no-gi friendly nature of the gym and had this to say:

"Tap, I'm an instructor here and I haven't worn my gi in over 3 years and the majority of my MMA students have never put on a gi despite winning at the intermediate and advanced sub grappling tournaments in the DC area. There is absolutely no pressure to put on a gi!"
11/21/11 2:52 PM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap21 - In the original thread, one of the instructors from Fairfax JJ vouched for the no-gi friendly nature of the gym and had this to say:

"Tap, I'm an instructor here and I haven't worn my gi in over 3 years and the majority of my MMA students have never put on a gi despite winning at the intermediate and advanced sub grappling tournaments in the DC area. There is absolutely no pressure to put on a gi!"

http://www.fairfaxjj.com/instructors.html#

Which instructor would be giving you that quote? Let me guess....the MMA guy and not the other 3 Brazilian BBs?

Tap21 -GYMS THAT ARE PURE NO-GI FRIENDLY BUT ALSO TEACH GI"

Keep up the good work, Tap!!

11/22/11 3:19 PM
Tap21

Look, here's the post from Bull_in_chinashop. He's been a member of this site for 10 years now. If you want to go argue with the guy about his own gym, be my guest.

I'm sure you can find him on many threads in the Atama BJJ Forum, and that he will be interested in your calling him a liar. Just leave me out of it. I'm happy to take him at his word.

Posted: 2/3/11 7:06 PM
Edited: 02/03/11 7:06 PM Member Since: 1/1/01

11/22/11 4:22 PM
chitownbjj

^^ Hahaha. I am sure he answered you within the context of your original question (whatever that was).

I just think it's funny that you had them as "GYMS THAT ARE PURE NO-GI FRIENDLY BUT ALSO TEACH GI." NO-GI FRIENDLY means NO-GI isn't their primary concentration, but yet they also teach gi? So what's their primary concentration?

Maybe I am the only one that find that statement funny.
11/23/11 9:24 PM
ggovel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Top no-gi instructor does not equal no-gi only. Phone Post
11/24/11 2:32 PM
chitownbjj

ggovel - Top no-gi instructor does not equal no-gi only. Phone Post
Also doesnt mean the gym is 'pure nogi friendly gym but also teach gi'...

Also doesnt mean the instructor doesnt have a pure no-gi background either Phone Post
11/24/11 7:02 PM
liquidrob

Yes, but the question was who are considered the top no gi instructors who strictly teach no gi
11/24/11 7:17 PM
chitownbjj

liquidrob - Yes, but the question was who are considered the top no gi instructors who strictly teach no gi
Well...as long as you are happy with Tap's answer? Phone Post
11/27/11 8:52 PM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ggovel - Top no-gi instructor does not equal no-gi only. Phone Post
Then I'd have to add Cesar Gracie, Dave Camarillo, loyd irvin, and Marcos Avellan to my list Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.