UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Winklejohn: GSP's injury 'blessing in disguise'

10/24/11 11:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Carlos Condit was disappointed last week when Georges St. Pierre had to pull out of their UFC 137 welterweight title fight due to a knee injury, but the bout’s postponement could benefit him, according to trainer Mike Winkeljohn.

“Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise,” Winkeljohn told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “We had a game plan. We felt real good with it, but Chris Luttrell and I were talking about some things we’d like to see Carlos do, but we figured it was too late to even try to implement those things because the fight’s coming up and you can only fill your fighter’s head with so much information. In a way, now we can come up with a couple of more things to put us in a couple of better positions for this fight.”

“It’s a little disappointing,” Winkeljohn said. “Carlos had his head in the right place. It was a great fight camp for him. He was working all the right things and building his confidence to be in the right place at the right time. He’s disappointed, but he understands the fight game. He wants to beat Georges at Georges’ best, so he’s going to wait, and, assuming it doesn’t take too long, Carlos wants to fight him for the title soon.”

read entire article...

10/24/11 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anarkis
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a picture of the move.

10/24/11 12:28 PM
ahahah
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does Condit still get paid? Must be nice to get paid twice for the fight...
10/24/11 12:33 PM
discodrew
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ahahah - So does Condit still get paid? Must be nice to get paid twice for the fight...
I don't think so. maybe if gsp didn't make weight and they had to cancel it. then he'd get paid. Phone Post
10/24/11 1:06 PM
Kanyeisagayfish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought if its fairly close to fight night, if he still makes weight he gets his show money. And can serve as a replacement if someone his weight can't get cleared. Am I wrong? Phone Post
10/24/11 1:08 PM
Gaspare

I have a feeling CC will take his....ill most likely be eating my words come fight night Phone Post
10/24/11 1:08 PM
Lite
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winklejohn will be splitting from Greg Jackson's soon. Anybody else get that feeling? He's really giving more interviews and raising his profile.
10/24/11 1:10 PM
LayNprayNINJA

Kanyeisagayfish -  I thought if its fairly close to fight night, if he still makes weight he gets his show money. And can serve as a replacement if someone his weight can't get cleared. Am I wrong? Phone Post
Well, it was almost 2 weeks out when it was announced, so I don't think that Condit gets anything.

10/24/11 1:10 PM
ranier wolfcastle
659 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/11 1:11 PM
 try this kick
the winner is 44 btw
forward to 2:04

10/24/11 1:42 PM
MMALOGIC

If Nick Diaz wins, there's gonna be a huge outcry to scrap the condit fight and re-make the orginally planned fight.
10/24/11 2:54 PM
dhughes
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see BJ beat Diaz and Condit beat GSP...then BJ versus Condit. But that's a lot to ask/hope for. However, I really don't want to see BJ versus GSP again. Please, no.
10/24/11 3:06 PM
suess
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no, but there will be a hawaiian getting his ass kicked.  is that a problem? 
10/24/11 4:46 PM
suess
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Systema - 
suess -  no, but there will be a hawaiian getting his ass kicked.  is that a problem? 

you mean a Hawaiian getting his leg humped for 15 minutes, then finally getting taken down with great effort, and then getting an elbow rubbed in his face for another round or two.

Gotta Stick to Plan (GSP)... clearly there is zero room for error

if that's what made BJ quit on his stool, he shouldn't be a fighter.  somehow i don't think even you believe your own stupid shit.
10/24/11 5:41 PM
Floppy Divac

"you mean a Hawaiian getting his leg humped for 15 minutes, then finally getting taken down with great effort, and then getting an elbow rubbed in his face for another round or two.

Gotta Stick to Plan (GSP)... clearly there is zero room for error"

So that's why he had his corner throw in the towel before the last round.  Vicious leg humping and face rub combo, no can defend.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.