UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Most aggressive and physical wrestlers are winning

10/26/11 9:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article by Steve Fraser

http://www.midstatewrestling.com/2011/07/29/become-physically-tenacious-steve-fraser/

Winning a World or Olympic title requires many years of dedicated training. It requires learning many wrestling skills and conditioning the body to execute those skills. It requires enormous power, explosion and flexibility.

Winning a World or Olympic title requires an extreme attitude and mental strength that is beyond the average person’s capability. It takes a mental focus that is very stubborn and relentless when it comes to succeeding and moving forward. It requires a mindset that is laser sharp at keeping focused on the prize.

Yes, winning at the World level requires a lot, no doubt! But the one thing I want to discuss in this current article is the importance and benefit of becoming a physically aggressive and tenacious wrestler.

In my many years of competing, both as an athlete and a coach in the international world of wrestling, I have noticed that the most ‘aggressive and physical’ wrestlers are the ones winning the World and Olympic titles.

No longer is the day when a wrestler can wrestle a slow pace, picking and choosing when they will attack. Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule. However, as a whole, the majority of medal winners are the athletes who are wrestling with a tenacious forward attack that emulates a pit-bull in the midst of a dog fight.

A great example of this style is Justin Lester. Justin has two world bronze medals to his name and will compete this September at the World Championships in Istanbul, Turkey, where he will go for the gold medal at 66 kilos for the USA.

Justin has a vivacious and explosive attack that is relentless when fronting off an opponent. His quick and consistent forward assault against his foe makes him an enormous offensive threat. The fact that Justin moves his opponent backwards three, four or five feet when he attacks is a critical point. When Justin attacks he covers a lot of mat.

What I am talking about here is moving our opponents, so they are required to take many steps, forward, backward or sideways. Just hand fighting and pummeling in the same place on the mat is not enough. The idea is that we physically move our challengers around the mat forcing them to takes steps to catch up or to defend themselves.

This is where we will get our opponents tired. This is where we will destroy our adversary’s offense. This is where we will confuse and off balance our rivals. With this kind of ferocious attack, we will be assured to break our opponents will to fight. What I have found true through the years is the guy who grits his teeth and continues the relentless pressure — beyond his opponent’s pressure — will prevail. I truly believe that the one who holds tough to the course, without relenting, will be the one who breaks the other one.

This is why the skills of pummeling, movement and hand fighting are so very important in the true battle of wrestling. Just look at Cael Sanderson’s matches at the 2011 World Team Trials in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma this past June. Cael was non-stop in his attack. Even when he was winning by many points you will notice that he never stopped attacking.

This constant movement and attack is, in my opinion, what makes Cael Sanderson world class. He is relentless in his aggressive attack. And you may notice that even when Cael meets a tough opponent and that rival is able to withstand Cael’s attempts, Cael eventually scores because most opponents can’t keep up with his unyielding pace.

Here are a few ways to improve and/or develop more of an intense physical attacking style:

• When you drill, practice moving your drill partner around the mat more. Make them take steps when we are setting up our moves. Look to off balance them when drilling.

• Force yourselves to push and pull more rigorously and with more movement. Again, make our opponent step more.

• Do more pummel matches where the intent and goal is to break your opponent’s will to fight. Make them quit wrestling or want to stop for a break. And when they stop, stay on them like a buzz saw!

• Practice pushing your practice partner out of bounds deliberately. Take time in practice where the main objective is to push each other out of bounds.

• Practice — sprint type, non-stop, chain wrestling, back to back moves — in a continued sequence until completely exhausted. And then build on that to be able to sprint longer.

• Condition your body with movement, pummeling and hand fighting skills in mind. The new PowerMax360 machine is the perfect machine to emulate these fighting skills. You can find this PowerMax360 at www.USCamps.net.

Expect to win with relentless intensity!

10/27/11 8:05 AM
skewbort
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Article. I feel inspired now to attack.
10/27/11 9:50 PM
Empire
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW -  Good article by Steve Fraser

Here are a few ways to improve and/or develop more of an intense physical attacking style:

• When you drill, practice moving your drill partner around the mat more. Make them take steps when we are setting up our moves.

When we drill, that is a huge part of it. We lead up to the takedown w/ about 3-5 actions to move them around and make them step or over extend. It's VERY tiring to keep moving them around like that but eventually, if you are that one step ahed and ahead in tempo, you will catch them in a takedown...

i have a harder time against someone smaller than me because they chain attacks like crazy and eventually i can't keep up. i usually am teamed up w/ other super heavies... those 180lbs. guys just keep going and attacking. if i can clinch them good it's usually in my favor but if they keep attacking like a rabid animal, i will eventually not be able to keep up and get overtaken.
10/28/11 8:14 AM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, they stress handfighting at our program as well.  The kids are for the most part the best from all the surrounding highschools and they come to the college to get a higher level of training and partners.  The coach wrestled at Iowa and stresses a very physical game.  Ive heard him tell the kids to go back to their resperctive schools and become the guy no one want to drill with because they hand fight to hard.  Then come back to this room and work to be that guy in this room.   Its intense for sure. 
10/28/11 8:20 AM
ChipW

some good hand fighting drills/explanation:

http://kolat.com/category/video-tags/cary-kolat/collegiate/feet-offense-collegiate/hand-fighting
10/29/11 8:36 PM
Empire
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW,

we do those drills. i have a 6' a million 300 lbs.er doing this to me. my back feels like it's on fire by end of practice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.