UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cro Cop: A part of me will die when I stop fightin

10/27/11 10:52 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1059 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“It’s hard to say,” Cro Cop admits. “I’m excited because I don’t know how to do anything else but fighting. It doesn’t mean that I’m desperate or that I didn’t make money enough to secure my life and the life of my family; it’s just that I don’t know anything else to do. In a certain way, fighting keeps me alive. And I’m aware that one day when I stop fighting, part of me, a big part of me, will die with that decision. And that’s what still motivates me.”

It’s an intriguing look into the psyche of a fighter, one who has been living this life longer than he hasn’t been. As Cro Cop points out, for over two decades, “I’ve been living like a soldier and living by the book. I don’t consume alcohol, I go to sleep on time, I wake up on time. Every fighter had good and bad days, and of course it happened for me to lose some fights which I’m sorry for very much because I’m that kind of person that I hate to lose. But you never saw me fat, saw me unprepared, never saw me with my hair too long, or that I didn’t shave. That’s something that I would never allow, and I think that I am a big, big professional, and that makes me happy and makes me proud.”

As he conducts this interview, he is getting his legs worked on by his conditioning coach to prepare for another sparring session with Barry. The years of toil and the numerous surgeries have been a reminder that his 40th birthday is closing in, but when he thinks of the alternative to fighting, there’s nowhere else he would rather be.

“I wake up every morning at 6 o’clock,” he said. “Even if I can afford to sleep ‘til 10, even if I can go to my own coffee bar to have coffee and hang around until 2. I can have lunch, take a nap after lunch, and then go back to the coffee bar and play cards with my friends. But that’s not the kind of life that I want. Even if this is much, much more harder. I sparred for the last six weeks and there were a million small injuries. I’ve been punched to the head, kicked to the body, I’ve blocked kicks, so everything hurts.”

He stops suddenly, and gathers his thoughts to make a strong a point as he can.

“You ask me if I need it,” he continues. “No, I don’t need it to survive. But that’s the only life I know and that’s the life that makes me happy. Nothing less, nothing more.”

Those are the words of a fighter, and though Cro Cop may have lost some fights, he has never lost that spirit and desire. It’s why after his last bout, a third round knockout loss to Brendan Schaub at UFC 128 in March, he returned home to Croatia and was back in the gym the very next day. If you think he’s showing up for a paycheck, you would be wrong. If there’s anything left for him to give in the Octagon, he’s going to give it on Saturday night.

read entire article...

10/27/11 10:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EVILYOSHIDA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard this many times...

But somehow I just don't have the faith.

I like Crocop though. i really do.

10/27/11 10:56 AM
RickStorm
1620 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**I Still Believe**
10/27/11 11:03 AM
NorthSlopePipeNinja
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - **I Still Believe**
. Phone Post
10/27/11 11:17 AM
Chris
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
 I like Roy, but I would love to see Mirko retire after a left high kick KO on Saturday.
10/27/11 11:17 AM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - **I Still Believe**

Me, too.
10/27/11 11:19 AM
PelikanNutz

Shit is crazy cause I still believe Cro Cop when he says this shit.
I just rewatched CroCop absolutely dominate and ko Wandy and I just want to see him show even a fucken glimpse of that in the octagon. He was looking pretty good against Schaub...fuck i don't know.
Will always be one of, if not my favorite fighter of all time.
10/27/11 11:24 AM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris -  I like Roy, but I would love to see Mirko retire after a left high kick KO on Saturday.

That would be perfect.  

Come on MMA gods, Mirko deserves it!
10/27/11 12:17 PM
chuckles1
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - **I Still Believe**
. Phone Post
10/27/11 12:50 PM
john joe
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only
he said similar before the schaub fight and i think its true. Old soldiers fade away but its hard for them to accept; like wanderlei, without the drama and the roar of the fans, their lives must seem empty and grey

Each morning he could awake, have a gentle run if he felt like it, an extra hour in bed if he didn't. Outside the house there is a pool to relax in, a patio to lounge on and several high-end vehicles to take him anywhere he pleases should the delights of home become stale. Fishing in Privlaka is just an hour away; he could do that every day for the rest of his life if he wanted to.

Perhaps these thoughts run through his head at the same time as they do mine.

"Its hard," he reiterates, as great clouds of perspiration swirl off him into the cold night air. The mood is sombre, subdued almost, a stark contrast to the maelstrom of violence and activity just minutes before. And so I have to ask, "Why bother then? Why not retire?"

He turns around sharply, and in an instant the boyish grin spreads wide across his face.

"Because I love it!" he barks, giving me an enormous clap on the shoulder and breaking out into laughter. He strolls across the gym floor, still laughing, towards the door that will take him home. He goes through it.

Another day done. Plenty more to come. That door won't be locked shut any time soon.
10/27/11 12:55 PM
john joe
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only
a lot of the thing with him, i think, is that after five or six knee surgeries plus at least two ankle surgeries he is terrified of damaging them again and hesitant to throw his legs a lot.

if i was asked to give him a pep talk it would be, "go out there and assume its your last fight. Youve got the rest of your life to sit on your arse while your legs heal. Go and break your leg in five places across this guys head if need be, remind people who crocop is and was, then get the fishing rods out and call it a day"
10/27/11 1:03 PM
R00STER

Chris -  I like Roy, but I would love to see Mirko retire after a left high kick KO on Saturday.

That would be awesome but if he does win with LHK, we all know he WON'T retire. That will be just enought to make him think he's still "got it" and we'll have to endure him being KO'd a few more times. :(
10/27/11 1:05 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think a part of him has died since he wont quit fighting
10/27/11 1:06 PM
triso07
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - a lot of the thing with him, i think, is that after five or six knee surgeries plus at least two ankle surgeries he is terrified of damaging them again and hesitant to throw his legs a lot.

That's very possible. A lot of people don't realize how much influence injuries like that have on your decision making during a sparring session, let alone a fight.

10/27/11 2:17 PM
all the little jimmys

good read
10/27/11 3:16 PM
Chris
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
 I miss Pride.
10/27/11 3:25 PM
disbeliever
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/27/11 11:18 PM
DKielbasa

How can anyone say anything negative about this guy??? EVER?

Guy is a class act and a warrior.   He is the biggest legend in Mixed Martial Arts to date.
10/27/11 11:46 PM
Blaat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big country going to steal yer sooooouuuulllll Phone Post
10/28/11 12:06 AM
SamboSlim187

The problem is that if it really is Cro-Cop's last fight, it doesn't matter if he wins or loses... He's not fighting again. However, if Roy loses, he's probably fired.

I'm not sure who I'm pulling for. I like both guys and I really would hate to see Cro-Cop KO'd again or Roy fired from the UFC.

I'll just watch and see what happens. Phone Post
10/28/11 8:33 AM
DKielbasa

Roy wont get fired if he loses.  
10/28/11 8:40 AM
Mr. Blonde
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit, I'll settle for a left straight KO. Just wanna' see Cro Cop win this one...
10/28/11 8:47 AM
BigWilliam
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A part of Cro Cop already died, the part that was a fighter. He talks a great game but everytime he gets in that cage he looks like he is about to throw up.
10/28/11 9:43 AM
McBooger

Rooting for Michael!
10/28/11 9:49 AM
Hypnotize
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mirko you awesome motherfucker own it on saturday!!il support you no matter what !

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.