UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> ramen made by non japanese...

10/27/11 5:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FCTV808
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...suck.

it's a fact.

goma tei. lol.
10/28/11 12:27 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch - wacist!

but I have to agree

even worse is Chinese noodles on the mainland - they use pasta

LOL! OH THOSE FUNNY MESSICANS!
10/28/11 2:27 AM
docnak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is my quick-and-dirty rule about eating at ethnic restaurants: If (a) the customers and (b) cooks are the same ethnicity as the restaurant type, and (c) the customers/cooks speak the language of the restaurant type; it will be at least halfway decent! Not a perfect rule, but it keeps me out of bad places!
10/28/11 8:13 AM
MOB U2
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

docnak - Here is my quick-and-dirty rule about eating at ethnic restaurants: If (a) the customers and (b) cooks are the same ethnicity as the restaurant type, and (c) the customers/cooks speak the language of the restaurant type; it will be at least halfway decent! Not a perfect rule, but it keeps me out of bad places!

Perfect!

I feel this way about chipotle. Ok for an Iranian guy making burritos BUT COME THE FUCK ON YOU YUPPIE FUCKS BETTER BURRITOS ARE MADE BY MEXICANS.

Btw first time I ate Gomatei I was grossed out. Last time I ate there I almost vomited.

Gomaichi is the only Ramen place I like in the Ala Moana area. Also real Japanese people make it.

10/28/11 2:29 PM
FCTV808
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

real japanese people who can't make ramen! (gomaichi)
10/28/11 2:49 PM
MOB U2
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^hahaha. I like it though - at least it don't make me vomit. The only other place is that ramen shop at McCully - I think it's Kyoto Ramen? I don't really see the rave over ramen; I guess I'm in that position that you have with Pho. I'd rather have Pho than ramen anyday, but I don't know now b/c every Pho place I go now is pretty subpar. I notice that bc Pho is so popular, shops aren't making the broth as rich anymore b/c it takes days to cook those bones down to get a good broth. Now it's too American fast food like b/c of demand.

Where is a good ramen shop here anyways? My friend who lives in Japan can't eat ramen when he comes home from. He just can't eat do it. And he loves ramen.
10/28/11 2:57 PM
FCTV808

kyoto's pai tan kakuni is the best.

pho is a cop out for making broth and is a bloody mess--ie i can see why you like it--as it might be genetic. :) lol
10/28/11 3:21 PM
MOB U2

^haha u bastid. It's a shame what has happened to Pho places I knew as good. The broth quality is terrible now. All my Vietnamese friends say their families let it steep for three days. THREE MUTHAFUCKING DAYS! Now that's goodness right there.

I have not eaten at Kyoto in a while. I must compare now so I will command the wife we go tonight Serpentor-style. Last time I went to McCully damn fight almost broke out between some Micros and huge Hawaiians, while all the Vietnamese and Koreans were like, "Damn I just wanna drink my bubble tea."
10/28/11 8:38 PM
kanotoa
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mainland guys drain the dashi and put butter on the noddles sometimes.
5/27/12 6:56 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think koreans can make a decent ramen
5/27/12 2:33 PM
FCTV808

no, they make ramyon. different.
5/27/12 3:04 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

even if its a korean owned ramen shop like the one by ala moana that serves kimchee with every bowl of ramen?
5/27/12 5:54 PM
Moke
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some Viets told me that pho is better here in the States (depending on the place obviously) because they actually make it how they're supposed to here. In Vietnam, bones are too expensive to use and they use tons of MSG (cheap) to make up for it.

To be honest, it's really hard to tell who makes it properly because bones don't contribute a lot of flavor, it's more of a mineral contribution. Marrow and fat contribute richness but that can be faked. So basically you have to go by reputation for who is supposedly doing it right.

Otherwise you have to look for those places where they boil so many bones for so damn long that the broth is pure white. No can fake, no can defend.
5/28/12 7:33 AM
Byrd

soba bitches, its all about soba
5/28/12 2:19 PM
FCTV808

zaru soba!
5/29/12 3:00 PM
TheAlchemist
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like the nong shim/ kim chee ramen bowls. 
6/1/12 2:57 PM
Dr. Shocker

i love goma tei, and wish we had one closer to south central.

And if there is a place that is "better" but less convenient and more expensive, then i'd rather not know about it or even try it for that matter.

blissful ignorance is blissful
6/2/12 3:39 AM
JKJJ

The cooks are usually micros!!!! Phone Post
6/2/12 4:55 AM
FCTV808

not at yotekkoya
6/3/12 5:10 AM
WillyMaunawili
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr. Shocker - i love goma tei, and wish we had one closer to south central.

And if there is a place that is "better" but less convenient and more expensive, then i'd rather not know about it or even try it for that matter.

Coming soon to Pearlridge I hear... Phone Post
6/4/12 5:03 AM
Dr. Shocker

WillyMaunawili - 
Dr. Shocker - i love goma tei, and wish we had one closer to south central.

Coming soon to Pearlridge I hear... Phone Post

Oh shit, there goes my blood pressure, diet, and $$. FAAK

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.