UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Tonsils Out As An Adult

10/28/11 8:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
diarlo
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have their tonsils out as an adult? I've heard the recovery is terrible. Any stories?
10/31/11 1:05 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did at 19. They say as an adult, it's like having a bodypart removed (or something along those lines) and yea, it did. Recovery was kinda long too. I can only imagine how long it'd be now ten years later. Mine were enlarged and were suppose to have been taken out years before that, and were causing me to be sick quite a bit. Once removed, everything was better. Even found swallowing pills became easier (couldn't even hardly swallow asprin before that).
11/2/11 2:45 AM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wife had hers done at 37...worst thing ever. she drank the liquid pain meds like it was water...got addicte to meds...2 years later we are divorced
11/3/11 1:47 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^Trumps my story all day.
11/3/11 10:48 AM
TSMontana
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I've heard, it's now an outpatient procedure? Doc referred me to a ENT to look at my tonsils and adenoids.
12/15/11 6:50 AM
TSMontana
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/15/11 6:50 AM
ENT doc took one look at them...getting mine out on the 29th. :-/
12/16/11 12:03 AM
BALLSDEEP

RIP imo
12/16/11 4:18 AM
TSMontana

BALLSDEEP - RIP imo

"I was just a man...with big tonsils."
12/30/11 12:54 PM
TSMontana

Edited: 12/30/11 12:54 PM
...and I no longer have any tonsils, or adenoids. Doesn't hurt too bad right now (liquid tylenol and vicodin FTW), in my first full day of recovery, but I've heard days 5-7 are the worst pain for recovery (as the new tissue grows in). Can breathe easier now, even though my throat is a bit swollen. Been drinking almond milk/hemp shakes for food, but going to try applesauce today. Forcing myself to down water and ice pops.
1/2/12 12:18 AM
TSMontana

Finally able to eat things other than applesauce and almond milk/hemp smoothies. Had some ramen noodles and mac and cheese tonight (not supposed to have too much dairy, but I was starving for something more solid). Aloe Vera Juice has been a godsend to drink.
1/2/12 9:47 PM
traneufcisback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the prupose of having yout tonsils out as an adult?
1/2/12 10:32 PM
TSMontana

Edited: 01/02/12 10:32 PM
traneufcisback -  What is the prupose of having yout tonsils out as an adult?

For me, I was getting strep throat quite a bit more than I had in the past. My tonsils were also permanently enlarged, partially blocking my airways, and may have been causing me sleep apnea. Chronically inflamed and infected tonsils can also become germ factories, keeping you sick more of the time than not, instead of acting like the vanguard against sickness they were intended to be.
1/3/12 2:36 PM
TSMontana

Off my pain meds at 5 days after surgery. Apparently there's a lull before the big pain when the scabs start coming off, so I'm staying off the meds, so my tolerance of them isn't high when I may (potentially) have to go back on them. Just throat lozenges.
1/3/12 4:11 PM
TSMontana

...and pain is starting to come back with a vengeance. Back on meds.
1/5/12 12:22 AM
BALLSDEEP

Glad you made it out alive. I remember mine hurting for some time after, and bad.
1/5/12 2:50 AM
TSMontana

Yeah, it has been up and down. Been better past 24 hours. Scabs are going to come off very soon and that is supposed to be the worst of it, from what I understand. It's just now more annoying than painful.
1/8/12 10:58 PM
diarlo
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TSMontana - ...and I no longer have any tonsils, or adenoids. Doesn't hurt too bad right now (liquid tylenol and vicodin FTW), in my first full day of recovery, but I've heard days 5-7 are the worst pain for recovery (as the new tissue grows in). Can breathe easier now, even though my throat is a bit swollen. Been drinking almond milk/hemp shakes for food, but going to try applesauce today. Forcing myself to down water and ice pops.

Thanks for the updates. I'm getting mine out next week. I've had recurrent throat infections for the past several years (6 or 7 a year). Looking forward to not getting them anymore for sure.
1/9/12 10:08 AM
TSMontana

Edited: 01/09/12 10:13 AM
Day 11 of recovery and it's my first day back to work after the holiday. Throat is still a bit sore, but I'm able to eat real food again without pain meds. Can also breathe a lot easier through my nose.

Recovery tips...

- Get lots of aloe vera juice (not gel) and keep drinking at least an oz every four hours (I did 2 every four hours), for at least the first seven days. Got that tip from a nurse. Every time I was in pain, I'd do that and it works great to help get things moist again (dryness = pain...especially after waking up).
- Get a spray bottle (with mist setting) and fill it with water. Mist the back of your mouth after napping, or sleeping, to get it moist again, if drinking water straight up hurts.
- Make sure you get a non-dairy protein source into your meals, even right after surgery (hemp, egg, etc). If you're adventurous, add in a little real-food liquid vitamins into a shake. Nutrition is your ally, especially when you can't eat that much.
- Drink water. If it hurts drink a liter 20-30 minutes after the pain meds...but drink, Drink, DRINK.
1/9/12 10:11 AM
TSMontana

Edited: 01/09/12 10:10 AM
diarlo - Thanks for the updates. I'm getting mine out next week. I've had recurrent throat infections for the past several years (6 or 7 a year). Looking forward to not getting them anymore for sure.

I feel you. Looking for the same outcome. I will be disappointed with anything less. Good luck with the surgery.
1/9/12 9:58 PM
diarlo

TSMontana - 
diarlo - Thanks for the updates. I'm getting mine out next week. I've had recurrent throat infections for the past several years (6 or 7 a year). Looking forward to not getting them anymore for sure.

I feel you. Looking for the same outcome. I will be disappointed with anything less. Good luck with the surgery.

Thanks homey. Will update when I have the surgery done.
1/12/12 10:31 AM
TSMontana

Had first workout today without the tonsils. I could breathe so much easier now. Just some comfort for those deciding to go through with this.
1/12/12 10:09 PM
diarlo

TSMontana - Had first workout today without the tonsils. I could breathe so much easier now. Just some comfort for those deciding to go through with this.

That's awesome man, glad you are seeing some benefits already.

I just had mine out this afternoon so I'm hoping to notice some big changes after the recovery period is over.

I feel surprisingly good right now. I know my throat is only going to get worse over the next few days, however, I woke up from the surgery feeling fresh and clear. I had three shoulder surgeries and each time I woke up, I felt awful and it took a few days to feel like myself. Luckily I feel great right now (aside from the two gaping wounds in my throat).
1/13/12 12:19 PM
TSMontana

Edited: 01/13/12 12:19 PM
^ The magic of painkillers. :-) Hang in there, man. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
1/13/12 12:46 PM
diarlo

TSMontana - ^ The magic of painkillers. :-) Hang in there, man. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Didn't get a lot of sleep last night as my throat was so dry. I feel okay today. Throat is a bit more sore than yesterday but I'm drinking a ton of liquids...ice water, green tea, coconut water, aloe juice.

Still don't feel the grogginess or cloudiness I felt after my shoulder surgeries, which is a very good thing.

I didn't take any pain killers until last night at bed time. I took 2 Tylenol-3's and that's it. Haven't taken any more yet.
1/15/12 1:42 PM
diarlo

Day 4 and the pain in my throat is not as bad today. Waking up is brutal as my whole throat and mouth is as dry as a piece of sand paper in the desert.

Was able to eat some oatmeal and yogurt today without any difficulty, may try some other foods later. Still trying to stay hydrated and keep moving forward.

All in all, not as painful or terrible as I thought it would be. It's absolutely no fun but I anticipated the worst.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.