UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Manager Wants Maia to Welcome Shields Back 2 MW

10/30/11 4:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
J-Tee
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've personally been salivating for this fight ever since it was made apparent that Shields was returning to the UFC

Manager wants Damian Maia to welcome Jake Shields back to the middleweight division

Photo

The UFC welterweight division hasn't been kind to Jake Shields

The former Strikeforce champion squeaked out a split decision victory over Martin Kampmann in his UFC debut and subsequently lost his championship match against 170-pound king, Georges St. Pierre

Shields then went on to lose his next fight at welterweight, as well, as rising contender Jake Ellenberger sent him to the showers early, knocking him out just 53 seconds into the fight.

A move back up to middleweight could be just what the doctor ordered.

At least, that's what Eduardo Alonso, Damian Maia's manager, is hoping for. Speaking to Tatame.com, Alonso says a fight with Shields would be a good test for his client.
Star-divide

"It's a personal desire, but I guess it'd be a good fight, an interesting challenge for Demian. For his record and skills as a fighter, I'm guessing it'd be interesting. Fighting top 10 guys is always interesting. Since he once was a champion in Strikeforce in this weight class and has great wins over top athletes like Dan Henderson, and because he likes to fight on the ground, I believe it'd be a great match-up against Demian."

Alonso, who also manages Mauricio Rua, hopes to fill a coveted slot on the highly anticipated upcoming cards in either Brazil or Japan.

"We are still on the first talks with UFC, but our expectations are for him to fight in 2012. I guess there's a possibility of a new event in Brazil, and that might be a facilitator. Or it can be in Japan in February, something that would be very interesting."

Shields has been very successful at middleweight, capturing the SHOOTO middleweight title in 2004. The Cesar Gracie trained fighter also captured the vacant Strikeforce 185-pound title by defeating Jason Miller in 2009 before successfully defending it against Dan Henderson last year.

Maia is coming off a unanimous decision victory over fellow countrymen Jorge Santiago at UFC 136 and holds impressive victories over Nate Quarry, Dan Miller and current number one contender, Chael Sonnen.

What do you think of this proposed match-up between these two great jiu-jitsu practitioners?

Will a move to middleweight revive Jake Shields career? Or will Maia give him much of the same medicine he found in the crowded welterweight division?

Opinions, please.

10/30/11 4:45 PM
J-Tee
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ur probably right, but how awesome would it be if both had a jiu jitsu war
10/30/11 4:52 PM
Manny Yarbrough GOAT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KevinMcAllister -  Demian would keep this one standing and work him over.

The Jake that fought Henderson would take Maia down with ease, I'm not sure how Shields' body would react changing weight classes again though.
10/30/11 6:10 PM
French Fries Malone
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Jake would be wise to take a fight like this right now. He needs a comeback fight to get back in the game. If he does go 185 he should fight someone like Santiago or bisping Phone Post
10/30/11 6:17 PM
jack_wilshere
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make it happen Joe! Phone Post
10/30/11 7:53 PM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia would outstrike Shields. But I think Jake would hold his own on the ground unless Maia starts dedicating more to bjj. Phone Post
10/30/11 8:13 PM
Boofhead3
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A rare fight that it would be sweet to see a ground war Phone Post
10/30/11 9:06 PM
Blackbeltpanda
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id probably take Maia, in a close one Phone Post
10/30/11 10:33 PM
mmavixen
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia takes it.  Don't think this is a good fiht for Shields after two losses.
10/30/11 10:40 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this point, Maia would outstrike Shields, and out grapple him.

Not taking anything from Shields, but I do think Jacare in SF would have owned him as well.

Maia by UD or even TKO???
10/30/11 10:41 PM
MMAReview
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think to anyone saying that people don't realize how high level Jake's grappling is, they don't know how high of a level Maia's is.

10/31/11 12:38 AM
AceAtGSU
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrWhitey - 
Kommata - shields would fuck him up anywhere he wants to

Shields has never fucked anyone up in his life and he ain't starting with Maia.

I laughed at this for some reason, possibly the truth in it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.