UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Jeff Coooper on What to Teach Children

10/31/11 11:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oblongo
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I came across this quote from Jeff Cooper that got me to thinking. I take this to mean the basic survival skills we should impart. If that's correct, I'm really not sure that fling a plane belongs on the list. The rest seems pretty solid. What would you add or remove from the list?

We are steadily asked about the age at which to teach young people to shoot. The answer to this obviously depends upon the particular individual; not only his physical maturity but his desire. Apart from these considerations, however, I think it important to understand that it is the duty of the father to teach the son to shoot. Before the young man leaves home, there are certain things he should know and certain skills he should acquire, apart from any state-sponsored activity. Certainly the youngster should be taught to swim, strongly and safely, at distance. And young people of either sex should be taught to drive a motor vehicle, and if at all possible, how to fly a light airplane. I believe a youngster should be taught the rudiments of hand-to-hand combat, unarmed, together with basic survival skills. The list is long, but it is a parent’s duty to make sure that the child does not go forth into the world helpless in the face of its perils. Shooting, of course, is our business, and shooting should not be left up to the state.
10/31/11 11:52 PM
Hessian
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Opa taught me to shOOt with a air rifle when I was 9 or 10 years old.

My parents never showed any interest in things I did. Mind you they had to work 6 days a week 10 hours a day to keep food on the table.

At the age of 12 I was a Master with rifles at 50 meters. By 16 I had competed around the World.

My daughter just turned five. She knows the basics of what plants are poisonous and which living things can cause her pain or death.

At two she would put on her safety gear and come out into the forest with me to cut down tress with a chainsaw. She would also cruise around on her battery powered truck around the property. I also taught her how to use a sling shot at 2.

At four she would zip line 2 hundred feet off the jungle canopy solo. My wife taught her to swim and she can swim for hours without touching the side of the pool.

In another year she will start TKD and BJJ with World class instructors. Her stand up is already good enough and she knows when it is OK to fight dirty.

She kicked out the bottom of my from teeth one night in a surprise attack after I thought our wrestling was over.

Her King Shepard even attacks me when we sword fight together. So I know I can count on him as well.

Kids if taught to be respectful and do as they are told. Can learn at a very early age how to survive from the land/ocean.

Mind you I am with her all the time except when she is in school. I think now days parents for whatever reasons do not have the time needed to properly teach their kids about things. They leave it up to TV to teach them.

If it was left up to the countries I live in to teach my child , even at the best private schools they would accept her knowing her ABCs and numbers as good enough.

If you want a leader not a follower I think you need to take the responsibility to heart of preparing your children.
11/1/11 3:12 PM
morotetsuke
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

to READ. (no i dont wait for the school to teach it)
to understand money
to handle fear
to learn from the mistakes of others
to use your mind first then your back
11/1/11 7:24 PM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a friend of mine's dad made every one of his kids learn a trade they could do with their hands. it was fine if they wanted to go to college, but he wanted all of them to learn to work with their hands as well as their minds and be able to make a living if they had difficulty finding a job in their field or if they were laid off.

11/2/11 2:23 PM
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ashleigh11 - a friend of mine's dad made every one of his kids learn a trade they could do with their hands. it was fine if they wanted to go to college, but he wanted all of them to learn to work with their hands as well as their minds and be able to make a living if they had difficulty finding a job in their field or if they were laid off.

good idea.

I actually have a technical degree on top of my bachelor's in engineering. The hands on background from the technical degree helped me A LOT to find job and to improve the quality of my work.
11/2/11 10:43 PM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my wife and i were discussing this article a few days ago. i think it's a pretty poignant example of why we should make sure our kids have hobbies, learn life skills, and put the ipods down every once in a while.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/08/25/why-your-teenager-cant-use-a-hammer/

i thought this quote was one of the most interesting of the article.

"NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab noticed its new engineers couldn’t do practical problem solving the way its retirees could, it stopped hiring those who didn’t have mechanical hobbies in their youth."

11/5/11 1:24 AM
ashleigh11

i firmly believe in exposing your kid to as many things as possible-art, music, sports, hobbies, school subjects, nature, work around the house- and let them find their passion. we are fortunate to live where we do. there are tons of community things here for our kids to try. we've had our girls in after school art, nature center programs, girl scouts, community theater, etc.

if you have a homeschool community near you, they usually have a pretty diverse schedule of activities your kids can participate in. we homeschooled my 12 year old for one year and we still take our kids to their activities. it's pretty much nonstop field trips to museums, art galleries, farms, planetarium, etc.

12/6/11 2:39 PM
TheHouse
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My parents were great but had no knowledge of the value of museums, galleries, farms etc. I have soo much learning to do before I have any kids.
3/30/12 10:29 AM
blushgirl412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L
4/12/12 5:22 AM
sourcheese
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought it was pretty cool my son caught his first fish before he turned 3. A whole season off and spring is comming, I cant wait.

Also I try to teach him to try to figure things out first before asking me. example is any kind of blocks or building or puting things together. hes 3 and a half now.

Money for sure. as he gets older I want him to know how to handle his money and his credit. my parents didnt teach me a damn thing like that.

Im 35 and I never used a chain saw. sucks but its true. I dont even know how to sharpen a knife. Im learning now via youtube. If you have a father that doesnt teach you anything, you dont know a fucking thing.
4/12/12 10:02 PM
Hessian
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uncle Earl`s Beef Jerky
How much of this do you think is due to the populace moving from rural to urban areas

It was not long ago that people would have 6 kids so that there was help on the farm. Also a couple kids always seemed to die young.

My daughter loves fishing , it is truly one of the coolest things to do with your child. The look of excitement when they actually pull one in.

It seems I seldom hear parents tell their child they are proud of them when they accomplish something also. Hell , it would have been nice to hear it once when I was growing up.

I try and tell my child everyday that I love her and that I am proud of her when she does something well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.