UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cesar Gracie: Nick Diaz saved UFC 137

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/1/11 9:17 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1455 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Nick Diaz was of course scheduled to fight for the title vs Welterweight Georges St-Pierre, but was pulled from the fight for failing media duties, and relegated to the undercard, a move that Dave Meltzer estimates cost him around $2,000,000 that he would have realized from a cut of PPV sales. Then GSP injured his leg in training, and Diaz was back in the main event, now vs. BJ Penn. Nick Diaz's trainer and manager Cesar Gracie tells the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show that Diaz’s UFC contract wasn’t set up to compensate him adequately for headlining in a non title fight.

“What happened," Gracie argues, "is you can’t pull a guy off a card and then bring him back on: ‘Oh, he’s not good enough to fight. We pulled him out of the card. He can’t be in the main event. Yeah, here you go. Oh, wait a minute, guess what happened? Our little star guy over here, his knee hurts. Oh my God, we need Nick Diaz. Let’s put him back in the main event.’ Everybody wants to see that fight. He delivers. Well, little star guy didn’t fight and Nick Diaz did, but they pulled a lot of money from Nick’s purse because it wasn’t structured for him to make as much if it wasn’t GSP, even though he was the main event now and put the people in the seats.”

“Nick Diaz saved that card. OK? That’s what people need to remember when they talk about responsibility, is that he showed up, hamstring injury, knee injury, whatever. He had the same thing. He’s the guy that showed up. He’s the guy that fought his heart out, him and B.J. Penn. They put on a show. They’re two great warriors. They saved the UFC that night.”

“That’s a hard pill to swallow. I think it’s patently unfair. Myself, in my opinion, that’s unfair. I think Nick obviously knows it’s unfair, and these are talks we’re going to have with Dana White and with the UFC.”

“We’ve had good negotiations with Dana before. We’re going to put everything on the table, and I’m confident that we’re going to be able to iron all of this out and that Dana will make it right.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (6:25 mark)

11/1/11 9:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hubris
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP was getting "injured" anyway

it all turned out good, Nick saved that show
11/1/11 10:03 AM
chaplinshouse
884 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana needs to slap Cesar before this gets out of hand. No wonder Nick is screwed up, this is his father figure acting like a 13 year old and Nick looks to him for guidance. He doesn't even have his facts straight.

"Our little star guy over here, his knee hurts. Oh my God, we need Nick Diaz. "

That's not even the order it happened. Nick was asked to fight BJ, THEN GSP got hurt. And his nickname for GSP just sounds like a butthurt emo kid gave it to him

Nick vs Penn did save 137 but it's not like that was Nick's intent, it just turned out that way.
11/1/11 10:05 AM
Kingtony87
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like they are going to try and strong arm for more money............... Phone Post
11/1/11 10:05 AM
fiercedragon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for a guy that's supposed to be 'street' and 'hood' nick diaz is the biggest crybaby (outside of leben) that i've seen in a while. he's got the same entitlement problems most young white people have. with limited success he think he deserves the maximum reward...
11/1/11 10:06 AM
CNDMMAFan

BJ and Nick were co main event all ready, so its only natural that they get the bump to main, nick didn't so shit but show up to the fight he was given because he couldn't man up and show up to a press conference. Any bets that he was going to get pee tested there and well, weed don't leave your system that fast, longest life cycle of all the illicit narcotics, so that might have something to do with it as well
11/1/11 10:07 AM
Authority Figure

fiercedragon -  for a guy that's supposed to be 'street' and 'hood' nick diaz is the biggest crybaby (outside of leben) that i've seen in a while. he's got the same entitlement problems most young white people have. with limited success he think he deserves the maximum reward...

Ouch. lol But one problem - Nick isn't white.
11/1/11 10:10 AM
TDogg926
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting to get really sick of listening to Cesear run his mouth. I respect everything he has done, but that doesn't entitle him to shit talk everyone that's not part for CGJJ. He acts like a 10 year old girl and people wonder why Nick acts like he does. Not the best role model (attitude wise) IMO. Phone Post
11/1/11 10:11 AM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar = Derp. The guy needs to STFU.
Chimonos Revenge
1223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didnt save the card.

The card would have been more successful if GSP/Condit happened, and the PPV buys probably would have been twice what they actually were.

Yes, the main event fight was exciting.

But there was no saving of the card by Nick Diaz, please.

It went from a great card with two great fights, to a decent card with one great fight.
Bam57Bam
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems to me Diaz and Penn should both get a cut of the ppv %. They were the main event and honestly the only fight on the card that delivered.

So instead of them getting a ppv cut that moneys is going to Zuffa. We all know how bad they need it.

That said, I think this will get resolved if nick will just stfu! Phone Post
Humphrey

they're taking this the wrong direction big time. Dana isn't going to just sit around and take this shit, I honestly don't think he likes diaz at all, he just sees dollars. But as we know with tito, Dana's ego can override his business sense, and Diaz could find himself whining about not having anywhere to fight
11/1/11 10:12 AM
Chimonos Revenge
1223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar acts like Diaz stepped in on 3 days notice to fight BJ.

Diaz is lucky he was on the card at all after his press conference bullshit.
11/1/11 10:40 AM
mark9
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cesar needs to stfu wit all his whiny schoolgirl bullshit. i used to like nick diaz but honestly now i care a less about him everytime gracie runs his mouth. pathetic. Phone Post
11/1/11 10:46 AM
run mexico

Cesar is a POS
11/1/11 10:47 AM
BshMstr
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/11 10:47 AM
i don't know much about Cesar, but he probably shouldn't have publicly said this...

Diaz screwed up by blowing off press stuff, but redeemed himself vs BJ. granted, he only got $275K vs $2 mil (vs GSP), but the GSP money wouldn't have happened anyway, since GSP got hurt.

i think prior to Cesar saying this, he and Nick were in a great bargaining spot with the UFC....now, i dunno.

Nick has a crazy enough personailty as it is...he doesn't need somebody else making him look like a dick.
11/1/11 10:47 AM
On the Mat
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least we had a very exciting main event. If Penn of Diaz had got hurt the whole card would have been a snooze. Including the GSP x Condit.
11/1/11 10:50 AM
Jaybrone
776 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge - Cesar acts like Diaz stepped in on 3 days notice to fight BJ.

I think he believes that garbage. The thing is had GSP v Condit been on the card it would have had more buys. The more Cesar talks the more I am convinced he is just as immature as Nick and Nate and is probably a huge part of the problem. 
11/1/11 10:51 AM
tbarchard
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar is such a big mouth. All his whineing is getting ridiculous. He isnt even held in high regards with the Gracie clan. I remember when Renzo fought Frank and after the fight they were trying to interview Renzo and Gordinho kicked Cesar out of the locker room to keep people away. Phone Post
11/1/11 10:56 AM
fiercedragon

Authority Figure - 
fiercedragon -  for a guy that's supposed to be 'street' and 'hood' nick diaz is the biggest crybaby (outside of leben) that i've seen in a while. he's got the same entitlement problems most young white people have. with limited success he think he deserves the maximum reward...

Ouch. lol But one problem - Nick isn't white.

didn't say he was...
11/1/11 11:01 AM
GelderdEnd

Bat21 -  Cesar = Derp. The guy needs to STFU.
This Phone Post
11/1/11 11:06 AM
allforroy
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar reeks of "what's in this for me". He's going for the big bucks in the short term and is going to fuck Diaz' career if he doesn't grow up a little. Phone Post
11/1/11 11:07 AM
jct71

Chimonos Revenge - Cesar acts like Diaz stepped in on 3 days notice to fight BJ.

11/1/11 11:08 AM
NorthFromHere
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Underground News - "What happened," Gracie argues, "is you can't pull a guy off a card and then bring him back on: 'Oh, he's not good enough to fight."

Just LOL at this
11/1/11 11:09 AM
majikman
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cesar seems like a dick

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.