UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo terms/language for beginners help!

11/1/11 9:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
panic686
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am just beginning judo and would really appreciate suggestions for learning the terms and language. I pick up on the grappling ok, but am very much struggling with the language. I know a few terms here or there but would really like to pick them up fully.

Any suggestions on books or online resources where I can learn them in the order a begginer is expected to? I am a visual guy so reading will help me a lot.

I appreciate any help or suggestions!
11/1/11 11:07 PM
Gendai Budo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
11/2/11 12:02 AM
Chocolate Shatner
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out judoinfo

its ben reinhardt's site, and has all the terminology, etc you can ever wish for.
11/2/11 9:00 AM
panic686
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think I should just start looking at terms or is there a prescribed order I should learn them in?
11/2/11 9:17 AM
Chocolate Shatner
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just go with the ones you hear the most often. Honestly, there aren't a ton, unless the dojo is being retarded.
11/3/11 3:34 PM
mjm345
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/11 3:36 PM
I would start with learning to count to 10. I wouldn't worry about it too much, most you will learn naturally through immersion in class. Just pay attention to whst the tech is called and ask for the translation (after the instructor is finished). If you are like me, you will have all the major throw names mastered before you can even perform one lol.
11/3/11 3:52 PM
panic686

mjm345 - I would start with learning to count to 10. I wouldn't worry about it too much, most you will learn naturally through immersion in class. Just pay attention to whst the tech is called and ask for the translation (after the instructor is finished). If you are like me, you will have all the major throw names mastered before you can even perform one lol.

Haha I am actually the opposite. In this and bjj I tend to pick up on what I am doing quickly but then do not know the actual names for them.
11/3/11 7:38 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A good book I used as a newbie was Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano. 2nd - Judo Unleashed by Neil Ohlenkamp.3rd - Best judo by Isao Inokuma and Nobuyuki Sato. 4th -The Canon of Judo by (the diciple of Kano) Kyuzo Mifune.
11/4/11 9:44 AM
panic686

Thank you, judoblackbelt! I am such a visually learning guy that these books will help immensely.
12/20/11 8:12 PM
cruedi
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.judo-caja.com/belttest.html

12/20/11 8:24 PM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got "uke" and "tori" confused for my first year. Same with "uchi-komi" and "ukemi." Needless to say, I have a terrible memory and learn terminology poorly.
12/21/11 8:26 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They also reversed the belt/gi color order in contests(shiai
. First name called out is white belt or white gi. 2nd name called out is blue belt or blue gi. Don't feel bad a yellow belt asked me if I wanted to practice kumi kata and I didn't know what he was talking about. Then I said grip fighting? Never heard anyone use that terminology before.
12/21/11 9:03 AM
panic686

thanks for the further advise. So far, I am best at just remembering the throws I like the best but I reallly want to get an understanding of the language.
12/21/11 9:17 AM
FreestyleJJ
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some easy ones are to break down the throws:
O - major
Ko - Minor
Soto - Outer
Uchi - Inner
Gari - Reap
Gake - Hook

O - Soto - Gari : Major Outer Reap
O - Uchi - Gari : Major Inner Reap

and so on.
12/21/11 9:41 AM
panic686

FreestyleJJ - Some easy ones are to break down the throws:
O - major
Ko - Minor
Soto - Outer
Uchi - Inner
Gari - Reap
Gake - Hook

and so on.

Thank you. I do struggle with mixing up reaps and hooks a bit still for the actual moves.

Do you happen to knowa break down for basic counting? If not, I will look it up but it seems like you know your terminology pretty well.
12/22/11 10:27 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreestyleJJ - Some easy ones are to break down the throws:
O - major
Ko - Minor
Soto - Outer
Uchi - Inner
Gari - Reap
Gake - Hook

and so on.

Yeah, if you learn what the individual words mean it's easy, since the throws are usually reasonably well described. You learn 20-30 words and you can name almost all judo techniques.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.