UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Chad Mendes: You have to blast Aldo off his feet

11/2/11 7:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Chad Mendes talked with MMAjunkie.com Radio about his UFC 142 title shot with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo on Jan. 14 in Brazil. He began by discussing why the fight will not play out the same way Alpha Male teammate Urijah Faber's fight did.

"Urijah's and my wrestling are completely different," Mendes said. "I don't know if you've seen a lot of Urijah's first fights. He was fresh off his collegiate wrestling career. A lot of his takedowns came off scrambles, almost him just getting taken down and scrambling on top."

"He never really had an explosive shot, and I think that's one of the things that's key to beating a fighter like Jose. You have to match his athleticism but also take him off his feet. You can't get in there and work a single leg and slowly take him down. You have to blast him off."

There has lately been an apparent decline in Jose Aldo's killer instinct, which suits Mendes just fine.

"I think he's just relying on having a smart fight instead of getting in there and being the killer he was in the past. Honestly, that's the thing that made Jose Aldo so dangerous. He didn't care about any of that. He'd just go in there in try to take your head off until it finally happened ... with him slowing down, it's great for me."

"I'm chomping at the bit. I can't wait to get in there and fight for the belt. It's been a fast trip to where I'm at, but … I'm ready to go. I've got a great camp, great training partners backing me up, and I feel I'll go in there and win the belt. I'm ready."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.